Recall Update: Thursday

Top News:
Menu Foods expands recall. Again. 30 29 new brands added to the list and expands on almost all existing recalled brands. (Menu Foods goofed. Go Natural is not recalled.)

Our recalled food list contains all currently recalled brands.

We are asking all retailers to recall entire brands, not just some dates and UPC codes as repeated expansions kept toxic pet food on store shelves for weeks.

Help us get the word out:

Other Recall News:

Non-Recall News: Read our expanded daily posts below.

Find Help in Itchmo Forums:

Popular Recall Links:

60 Responses to “Recall Update: Thursday”

1. Sylvia says:

Pet food recall on Coast to Coast AM NOW!

2. Sylvia says:

Oh, no. I just admitted to listening to the Art Bell show (aka Coast to Coast)! Well, I can change my identiy here. But it is interesting that I just had fast-blasted Helen’s question about the possible bee/Chinese protein connection, (and a link to the Itchmo web site), and George Noory started talking about the pet food recall right after that. Then he talked about the sad story about George, the terrier that was killed by the pit bulls. Looking at your web site?
    He sounded pretty polished so I am sure it was a coincidence.

3. Jen says:

Why don’t they just pull ALL commercial brands? This is ridiculous!

great article on steve miller and chem nutra.

5. Kim says:

Thanks for posting that article Sharon - love it. And really love the title!

“No nice guys among robber barons in pet food industry”

Yeah, that pretty much says it all.

I don’t buy Menu’s cross contamination story - too many BRANDS, too many foods.

My guess is Menu was buying tainted ingredients (corn gluten, soy protein, rice gluten, etc.) from other suppliers, in addition to ChemNutra.

Remember, Menu’s MO is to take an established BRAND and “execute a “quick-to-follow” strategy whereby once a leading brand establishes a popular product format or formulation, Menu offers an analogous product to its customers”

The above quoted information is from the following link several weeks ago. The zoom info has now been rewritten. Does anyone know how to obtain the original?

7. Rick says:

FYI

Anyone using “By Nature Organics” may want to do a closer inspection!
    Their wet “pouch” style cat food says on the back “PRODUCT OF CHINA”.
    So I called the company, Blue Seal, and the rep was a bit aggressive.
    I asked him how he could be sure the product is safe and he said “because we test it” (where have we heard THAT before?) I then mentioned China’s other nasty human food issues and he said “I got that email , too” in a dismissive tone. Next I asked him if ANY of the ingredients in any if their other dog or cat food are imported from China and he said “to the BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE, no”. To which I responded” but you can’t say FOR SURE” his response: “NO, I DON”T WORK IN PURCHASING” !!!!
    Also, their “loaf” stlye(which is anything not in gravy) is made by MENU FOODS”.
    Apprently Blue seal has their hands in quite a bit!
    Blue Seal manufactures wildlife, farm animal, and livestock feeds and supplements; canned and dry pet food; seed mixtures for wild and caged birds; and lawn and garden maintenance products.

8. YaYa says:

That was some article in the Chemical Society Mag.

I just wonder if they did chemical combination studies on those chickens, before, they went to market :-(

3 million went in to the food chain hmmmmm…
    That’s alota chicken.

9. DonnaD says:

Is this Thur update/Menu 30 more brands recalled the same recall from last night?

ITCHMO ADMIN: DonnaD, this Thursday Update/Menu 30 is the same recall from last night.

10. xyz says:

Thats okay, Sylvia- we won’t hold it against you.

Memo to pet food company management: Find people that can answer phones AND give information. Whether you’re involved in the recalls or not they really should know more about your company and ingredients than we do, and be willing to share. Let them know the callers don’t have a personal vendetta against them. We’re not the enemy (at least in some cases) we’re the people that keep you in business. Or not.
    If they can’t answer a question let them feel free to move the call up the ladder to someone who can.

Some callers are scared and others have lost their companions. Some are downright ticked. Any “attitude” on the call takers part won’t help matters.

I can’t believe I actually had to say that.

11. YaYa says:

Hi DonnaD, I know the list changed and Grew at least One time last night, and they re-did the list here at Itchmo after that.

I think it was around 8:45pm mountain time? But can’t remember for sure.

Maybe we need to ask Itchmo Admin. to put a Time stamp on the list, so those who aren’t here more often can check it, by Times.

12. DonnaD says:

Yaya, good idea. It’s tough to keep up.

“The bald lies of some of the pet food industry’s players would keep the best investigative reporters working 24-7.”

14. Debbie4747 says:

Nice to know that our chicken has arsenic in it. Geez! And this is known and allowed by the FDA and the Dept of Agr? So, even before the melamine and cyranuric acid deal they’ve been fed arsenic. And that you know has gone into pet foods too.
    At this point I’d just as soon have my cats take up smoking instad of eating.
    I really don’t understand how that’s allowed. Did anyone do an actual study to determine it’s effects on humans, much less animals? But it’s okay?
    My neck is starting to hurt from all the head shaking I’ve been doing.

15. Patty L says:

This article from NYTimes is scary. Please note the last paragraph, in which the man calmly said melamine is used in making cakes. This really blows my mind.

16. Ann H says:

From Market watch today:

“I think the extent of this recall is not going to sway investors one way or another. The big recall is already out there,” said Robert Silgardo, an analyst at Dundee Securities Corp. in Toronto. “At this point, this is more of a pet food industry problem than a Menu Foods problem.”

So, I added that this morning to PFI and APPMA to let them know that the “money” men think it’s their problem, too.

So, With FDA on one side, the consumers may be effective in addressing the Lobbyists and Associations to get some momentum behind their self-regulation revisions and their terms of responsibility to the consumers.

Menu has already stated the FDA is better for the testing… don’t let them keep shoving responsibility off their shoulders. the PFI needs to be put under some pressure.

Frankly, I think Menu declaring Safe Food on 3/30 and now this recall contradicting their safe & tested foods.. is grounds to file FTC Consumer compaints.

There is an online form to do that.

Ann H

17. Gerry says:

Isnt this a form of..terrorism? First the pets than the people! I have been making my pug and kittys food homemade with chicken. Does anyone out there know if Foster Farm is ok? It says grown in Cal. and 100 percent natural. This still isnt a big story on the news! I may stop watching Anderson Cooper..Keeping them honest???? Maybe it was just too big a job to keep the pet food industry honest! This will probably go on for so long the mass media will get so use to the word melamine being called safe that it will end up just another additive to our foods!!!

Sylvia, Thanks for figuring out where to send the bee question, esp to Beekeepers Assoc. This has been seriously bugging me since Flamin brought it up the other night. I knew about CCD, but I never knew the bees were fed protein concentrate in the winter until Flamin posted it. Talk about bio-terrorism, intentional or not. We CAN’T go back to feeding our own country if we can’t grow any crops, and we can’t grow any crops without any pollinators. Is this poison getting into honey? Article I read in February suggested bees were having an immune disorder, and some people have posted that their affected pets also having immune disorders. This could affect bees differently, as they are not dogs and cats, but they are dying in masses during the suspicious time frame, beginning during “winter feed of protein concentrate” season. If you get a response from beekeepers assoc. please do post it. Thanks!

19. Kiki says:

Hi, If you haven’t yet signed the petition against Menu Foods animal testing, please do, and e-mail it/send the link along!! This petition also allows comments.

20. purringfur says:

HELEN: Bees Dying Off

An acquaintance with a beekeeping business in NC claims the worker bees all left/died and just the queen bee is there…

This person sold honey to various places — now — no bees

No pollination > no crops > no fruits, vegetables, grains on the table

As someone quoted before :

Einstein once remarked that “if bees were to disappear, man would only have a few years to live.”

Remember when Earth Day used to receive a lot of attention in the 1970’s? This year, I saw a 5 second blurb devoted to it.

………………….. Bobdog’s post from celsias.com

Scientists are scrambling to figure it out. A link to projects at
    Penn State, including an introductory podcast report. Summarizing some of their theories:

Hypotheses about cause -

1. Varroa mite - parasitic mite and associated diseases
    2. Unknown pathogan - some evidence of this; fungal pathogens are present, are they a cause or symptom? Were they there before?
    3. Contamination by pesticides -
    a) pesticides used to control mites
    b) new pesticides being used in crop production which are known to be toxic to bees.
    4. Poor nutrition, stresses placed on colonies
    5. Combination of several factors coming together.

A research overview by PSU scientists from December, 2006

Story about how potatoe pesticide use in N. Brunswick caused a
    similar die-off in 2002.

21. Dogmom says:

ya ya wrote: Mmmmmm….Got ta Luv that ‘New Cocktail’ made from Chickens: *Da Bom* combos- arsenic+ melamine+ cyanuric acid+ etc. Yum! :-P

Arsenic accumulates in a body. That is why I had been so careful about the rawhide that I allow my dogs to chew on. Arsenic is used to process rawhide in certain countries. But I have been feeding them chicken….. My husband and me too….

22. Kiki says:

From Sharon’s Story:

“What most consumers don’t know is that the pet food industry is an extension of the human food and agriculture industries. Pet food provides a convenient way for slaughterhouse offal, grains considered “unfit for human consumption,” and similar waste products to be turned into profit. This waste includes intestines, udders, heads, hooves, and possibly diseased and cancerous animal parts.”

23. Gerry says:

Why on earth would chickens have arsenic in them. What comes to mind to me is …arsenic and old lace…

24. susanUnPC says:

Menu Foods’ cross-contamination baloney immediately struck me as a way for them to maintain their lawsuit against ChemNutra … not as a full, honest disclosure of what they’ve actually been buying.

:::::::::::::::::

RICK writes: “Anyone using “By Nature Organics” may want to do a closer inspection! Their wet “pouch” style cat food says on the back “PRODUCT OF CHINA”.”

The By Nature wet pouch food I’ve seen at my pet food store is NOT organic, which is why I haven’t bought it — its product name is only “By Nature,” not “By Nature Organics,” which is a separate product line.

I just inspected the can of “By Nature Organics” that I have, and it says “Product of USA.” And the ingredients contain NO grains. The main ingredients are Organic Chicken, Natural Well Water, Whole Mackerel, Chicken Liver, and a long list of vitamins/minerlas.

Given my rising level of skepticism, I won’t bet my life that the “Organics” division of “By Nature” is perfect, but for now I’m feeding to my cats — who love it! — and my cats have had no health problems.

But, I also vary their diet with a wide array of Merrick’s canned food — all their no-grain recipes — so that their potential exposure is decreased and that they also get a nice variety in their diets (I think it’s unfair to feed pets the same ol’ food day in and day out).

25. Fivecatsandadog says:

I think my wife could be a new spokesperson for Menu Foods. Regarding the newest recall, she said, “Of course all our foods are safe! Unless something eats it!”

;-) We all need some comedy in this surreal, Twilight Zone experience..

26. Caylynn says:

I have read research reports that suggest the bees are dying because of all the cell phone relay towers that now dot the landscape. Supposedly the cell phone signals confuse the bees, and so they unable to find their way back to their hives.

I forget exactly where I read that, but it was a reputable scientific magazine or paper.

27. YaYa says:

Caylynn, I read the same thing too. Reminds me of the radar in the water confusing Dolphins, Whales etc.
    Do you Hail from Florida? :-)

FiveCatsandaDog: I LOVE IT! Your wife Wins the Spokewoman award and PR Award of the Year! :-D

Priceless!

Did Ya READ THAT Menu Foods???! :-P

28. Rick says:

SusanUnPC-

You are correct in that the cans are from the US–Menu Foods.
    The “pouch” style food w/gravy is the one that had “product of china” on it–but the rep. who I spoke with could not confirm “for sure” that they do not import any of their other pet food ingredients. The fact that they actually have a product at all that says “product of china” ,and they use menu foods for their canned food is just kind of scary to me.

29. nancy says:

Debbie7474—loved the comment about having my cats take up smoking—at least we’d know most of the ingredients!
    Here is a good article about arsenic in chickens: http://www.healthobservatory.o.....efID=80529 (just read the exec. summary)
    Something else blindly approved by the fda with no actual testing done.The good news is there are brands that don’t use the arsenic.

Re: the cross-contamination explanation, I seem to remember something from early in the recall, that menu mixed all its wheat gluten from different suppliers together; that’s why they had to recall so many products. They also apparently don’t own a computer tracking system or a sponge and soap.

30. Carol says:

I just returned from my pet food store and they were not aware of the updated recall–I told them I had seen Nutro on the list so they were going to the Nutro site but sadly it’s not updated and the “updated cat food “info from Menu on Nutro says to go to Nutro site—no wonder we’re in the dark. I do not use Nutro but I feel guilty if I don’t send them an email! It’s called a conscious MF!!

31. susanUnPC says:

Rick, I just want to reemphasize that there are two product lines - the By Nature and the By Nature Organics, and they’re made separately. Again, the pouches do not contain organic ingredients, and only SOME of the cans do — only those with the title, “By Nature Organics.”

Look, I’m running out of options — I’m down to two wet brands (Merrick’s and By Nature Organics) and two dry (Orijen and Serengeti). Last week, I decided that instead of freaking out about every bit of news, I’d “reverse engineer” how I view the foods I’m giving my cats. Are they sick? No. Do they seem very healthy? Yes.

Then, there’s the biggie that nobody’s discussing: The source of all of the VITAMIN and MINERAL additives that are put in ALL pet food brands and recipes. Most human and pet vitamins and minerals now are imported from China. God only knows what’s really in them.

So, for now, buying any pet food that isn’t tainted by products from China is impossible.

Even people who home-cook their pets’ meals aren’t safe because they all have to add vitamin/mineral supplements to those recipes. And the supplements come from China. What to do?

32. Rick says:

SusanUnPC-
    I know, it’s all very confusing. I’ve been buying Canidae & Felidae dry for the kids, and the wet has been Merrick, Evangers,& Canidae/Felidae wet–which is made by Evangers. I did have them on Wellness wet/dry until our cat started running outside to gobble grass & then throw up. Since she’s been switched over to the current food there have been no issues– I just hope it stays that way…

Rick Says:
    May 3rd, 2007 at 1:12 pm
    I just hope it stays that way…

You and me both, Rick. I’m also feeding Canidae (dry) and a bit of Evangers (wet) to my two dogs. I’ve also been adding a portion of home cooking to the mix. In the mean time, I’ve been watching them both like a hawk. So far so good. But as SusanPC says above, what to do? I highly doubt there’s much of anything that’s not in question any more - human or pet food related. Thank Yahvo my dogs like apples and carrots for snacks. I don’t trust any treats at this point either.

34. ally says:

Rick Says:
    May 3rd, 2007 at 1:12 pm
    I just hope it stays that way…

Itchmo Admin–

We have more recalls Menu snuck onto their site without a press release. We also have quite a few which were NOT a part of yesterday’s recall PR notice. I’ve just sent you e-mail outlining all of this to tips@itchmo.com.

36. ally says:

GACK. Sorry Susan.
    Meant to type “susan UnPC” above!

37. CathyA says:

Susan UnPC - I’m not buying the cross contamination stuff either. Aren’t we still waiting to hear where the 2nd shipmentt of the RPC went? Or did all that go to chickens? Just the other day I was wondering if there were two separate ingredients in MenuFoods with two different adulterants that reacted when put together. I figured MenuFoods wouldn’t have to say a thing about RPC in the stuff that was already recalled because it was already off the shelves.

38. susanUnPC says:

Rick, which Felidae do your cats like? I tried one for mine — I forget which — and they wouldn’t eat it.

I have a call in to By Nature Organics. Their phone message says that they only use grain in one product, and that its origin is domestic and that they don’t import any grains. When they call back, I’ll try to find out more, and I’ll report my findings here.

39. martin says:

Has Purina had any recalls?

40. Monika says:

Martin,

PURINA - surprisingly unscathed (hmmmm)

they’ve only had ALPO and MIGHTY DOG recalled

41. Debbie4747 says:

Hot off the presses, FDA has a new webpage for consumers. If you knew how to navigate their regular site, you really may not need it, but it does seem to make navigation a bit easier.

42. martin says:

Monika,

I do find this hard to believe being that most of their products contain wheat gluten. The FDA still hasnt named the other 2 companies. “?”

43. Sue says:

I wrote Tyson, Pilgrim’s Pride and Foster Farms asking if they still use Roxarsone in the chicken feed, no feedback yet but other references I read said that Tyson doesn’t.BTW Merck vet manual has quite a bit about aresenic poisoning in general and says that cats may be extra sensitive to arsenic. :( Sue

44. martin says:

Get ready for The FDA to say, a little arsenic is ok.

I noticed a “recall update” by Menu foods when I was checking their stock price this morning. They need to give the recalls a revision number, as the terms “refined”, “adds”, “amended” are quite confusing.

Also, Menu’s recalls have been going on for weeks, so I don’t believe their “cross contamination” excuse. A “complete failure of management” is a better explanation.

46. Monika says:

Debbie4747,

That website for FDA is new? Because the content hasn’t been updated
    for 3-1/2 weeks. The latest info on recalls is dated 4/11/07. That’s not
    very new. SOOOOO much has happened in the last 24 hours nevermind
    3-1/2 weeks.

I think the FDA should be officially renamed FDelay

Nice of you to drop by, Menu, and that you busted your corporate a$$ to get a press release out dated for today after you were found out. Trouble is, neither the one from 5/2 nor today’s 5/3 one are complete lists of changes made. Try these:

Dogs- Cats-

Sprout
    Wegman’s Bruiser
    Weis Total Pet
    White Rose
    Winn Dixie
    Your Pet

All of these were updated yesterday without mentions in either your US or Canada press releases. They were listed as having been updated 5/2/07, without formal notice, however.

You changed the following items this morning and didn’t issue press releases until after you apparently read about it here.

Dogs– Cats–

Natural Life Drs. Foster & Smith
    Performin Ultra

Perhaps if you don’t need to sneak anything onto the recall list today, you could issue current press releases tomorrow. Aww…. hurry up and break your corporate butts again to change the website links from 5/2 to 5/3 and re-do today’s press releases…… CYA doesn’t ALWAYS work….

48. martin says:

They should have recalled everything when this first happened.

Monika,

Your new name for the FDA is much nicer than mine was.

49. Monika says:

Martin,

I know what you mean. Trust me, if this wasn’t a public forum FDA would stand for 3 diff’rent expletives! haha

50. martin says:

That’s it exactly.

Here’s link to chicken arsenic article in Chemical & Engineering News:

This is posted on AVMA’s website:

“Breaking news
    May 3, 2007 (11:25 am CDT)
    Menu Foods adds to recall list

Please be advised that the Menu Foods list appears to be changing throughout the day; concerned pet owners should check either the Menu Foods Web site or the AVMA Web site frequently for updates to this information”

Yeah, AVMA. There appears to be some serious “management activity” over at MENU. Maybe MENU should go ahead and recall EVERYTHING.

53. Debbie4747 says:

So arsenic is okay in chickens, even though it is not known how much is in them, yet it’s not okay in bottled water?

54. xyz says:

Sorry, back to the bees for a minute-

Not all hives for any peticular bee farm have been abandoned. There doesn’t appear to be a connection to any one feed. The telling aspect (I think) is whether organically raised bees have also been affected, if they are within an area of a non-organic hive or food crop, but unaffected if they are not. If the dates of disappearance in an area can be determined, and if there’s a link, that would seem to point to an external factor. Some hives may be under more stress than others, hence more reactive to environmental factors.

Taking this to forum under Misc. might be a good idea for those with an interest.

55. Sylvia says:

Thanks, xyz! I won’t worry about outing myself, then. And Helen, I will post if I hear anything back from Basil Gunther, the WSBA pres. If he has heard they are looking into the possibility at all, I’ll put a post into the forum under that misc. section. My name is Klondike there.
    I heard about the cell tower theory, too, Caylynn. That is a valid theory. The cell industry is very powerful, though, so it won’t be easy to go further with that. For instance, both former presidents Clinton and Bush were keynote speakers at the annual pow-pow this year.
    Let’s hope we don’t put Einstein’s theory to a test, purringfur. It could be a combo of all those things and and some inbed genetics.
    Got to take my little terrier out in his stroller now. He is antsy!

56. Debbie4747 says:

Monica:

That website for FDA is new? Because the content hasn’t been updated
    for 3-1/2 weeks. The latest info on recalls is dated 4/11/07. That’s not
    very new. SOOOOO much has happened in the last 24 hours nevermind
    3-1/2 weeks.

That’s just the page directing you to their new page which is

The news isn’t new, they just made a more user friendly page for those that can’t handle their regular dry home page. Hope it helps.

Bottom line,
    Same S&*!, different page

57. Trudy Jackson says:

I’m sorry, but like all of you, i’m very tired. do you mean the dry Nutro is bad too? thanks, Trudy

58. YaYa says:

Hi Trudy, Ths is just my own Opinion on this issue.

IF a Brand has something, any, of their products Recalled, I Do NOT Use ANY OF THEM, None of their Products.

If it’s One Can of one kind Recalled, {even if it’s Dog food and I have a Cat}, I Refuse to Use Any of that Maker/Brands Period.

I Won’t Trust ANY of it.

Also I find it INSANE, for them to expect US Pet Parents, to Read All of that Garbage and pick out “The One” I Would Use!

All those number and codes and dates and can or bag or pouch or treat! RI-DICULOUS!

ALL of this Food, should have been DUMPED Months ago and All started Clean and Fresh! IMHO

Because it wasn’t, We’ve got another HUGE Recall now…

That’s How I’ve done it.

I think Purina only recalled the limited bit of Mighty Dog and Alpo so that we would all be lulled into thinking they checked all their nine zillion cans and bags of food and all the rest are safe…yeah right. How’s that new pet food plant in China doing, Purina???

60. Trudy Jackson says: