Recall Update: Tuesday (FDA Says 4150 Pets Reported Dead)

Update:

Top News:

Other News:

A little Web site notice: If you scroll down, you’ll notice our newly expanded coverage of non-recall news for pets and pet owners. We’ll keep bringing you the news! Enjoy and keep coming back.
Find Help in Itchmo Forums:

Popular Recall Links:

NOTE: We will not tolerate hate speech, racism, fraud, or promotion of illegal activities on our comments or forums. On the other hand, thank you to the thousands of commenters who have been helpful, polite, and kind to everyone else.

(Post bumped to top. Thanks to many reader tips.)

172 Responses to “Recall Update: Tuesday (FDA Says 4150 Pets Reported Dead)”

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Show All

1. Jenny says:

Well - I didn’t like Wysong’s attitude about another pet food company that they had voiced on thier web page. This is another reason to not purchase their product. I sent the lovely link to a local pet food that has been pulling brands of food that have been involved in the recalls.

Maybe all those post cards, emails, phone calls, etc., ARE starting to have an impact.

Thanks to everyone for fighting the good fight.

Sure need to get the media to get more involved, though.

Here’s a good 3 page article from the Washington Post:

Pet Deaths Spur Call for Better FDA Screening
    Imports Raise Concern About Human Foods
    By Rick Weiss and Ariana Eunjung Cha
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007; Page A01

4. nancy says:

Not very good marketing by Wysong….they still attribute the problem to rat poison in the article…Nancy

Wysong is defending Menu foods after it came out in the FDA trails that almost 50% of their test animals fell deathly ill or died from eating the food way back in Feb and they were going to do nothing, victim my A$$ . I blame Menu more than ChemNutra Menu had the results dead animals chemNutra only had a dry substance, with no end result to make them aware of concern. Shame on Wysong for screaming they that MENU was a victim of this.

5CatMom,

can you give me some more details on the plasma transfusion for the cats. When your cat became ill in December and they said food allergy did you switch foods? You have me worried?

7. Sue J says:

Wyssong certainly isn’t run by business people, else their FAQ would have been a bit less… outspoken. I agree with much of what they had to say, actually, about boycotting, and its effects on human lives.
    But, and this is a very BIG but - I was so passionately displeased with the way that Menu handled their response to the crisis - too much duck and cover, foot-dragging etc. Everything to to protect the business, and very little to protect the customer - and so, no, I won’t be using Menu made products anymore. I firmly believe that since the FDA is not capable of immediately halting sales, and initiating recalls, companies must all step up and act extremely responsibly, and altruistically. The only motivation to do that is unfortunately with consumer pressure such as boycotting, so the lessons can be learned and mistakes can be prevented. To all menu employees - nothing personal - but your company needs to be the clear example of what we, the consumers, will not tolerate.

8. Carol says:

Wysong has missed the main point, I think—MenuFoods may have not known that the wheat gluten was adulterated, but after 16 of their test animals died during the week of Feb 20-26 they did not disclose this to the public while they were still “looking into it”–Feb 26 thru March 16 is an awful long time for an awful high number of pets to become sick and die. I feel as a pet owner and consumer for many years of their product they had a moral responsibility to allow me to decide if I wanted to continue with their product, or stop, especially since during that time I was dealing with “unknown” ARF in 2 cats. In my emails to Sen Durbin and Whitehouse (RI) I stress the fact that the wait to release the info is immoral and should be illegal. The adulteration in the first place is a whole different story as we are beginning to understand …

9. zenelvis says:

could some one fill me in on something? i have been out of these threads for a few days, so i may not be up to speed. what i am wondering is, if melamine has been added to pet food for 15 years - why is it only now that it has reached this crisis point? what was different in the past several months? did they add more melamine?

it just makes me wonder if melamine is indeed the problem.

i am among those who is troubled by Wysong’s defense of Menu. troubled enough to not buy their products.

Can you say CYA Attempt?–from the current ChemNutra Home page–note their spinmeister is heading this one up:

“(The purpose of this blog is to provide links to the most current news coverage related to the current pet food recall, investigations in the United States and China, and ChemNutra’s part in these rapidly evolving events. This is not an interactive blog, but anyone with questions or comments should write to steve@sdsternpr.com)”

“Stern And Company, a Las Vegas public relations firm, develops and implements strategic and highly defined corporate communications programs for its clients. Its professionals have senior level, long tenured experience as journalists in either the major media or as senior level communications executives at the nation’s leading public relations agencies or major corporations.”

He has his own blog:

Don’t Bury The Bad News

“The moral: Never bury bad news. Get it out. Fix what’s wrong if you can, or at least communicate a strategy to do so. Disclose and move on.”

Statement-From Chem Nutra’s Home Page 2007:

“ChemNutra imports high-quality nutritional and pharmaceutical chemicals from China to the US. We purchase our inventory from quality-assured manufacturers in China; most of whom we have strong relationships over the past TWELVE YEARS. Our US customers are manufacturers of food, pet food, and nutritional ingredients, who want high quality, the best service, and the most competitive prices.”

ChemNutra’s 2005 Home Page:

It’s like buying direct from China-without the hassles.

ChemNutra imports quality ingredients from China to the U.S. for the feed, food and pharma industries. We are a professionally managed, American company experienced in negotiating, securing and delivering ultra-competitive pricing on high-quality chemicals and ingredients from over 200 quality-assured manufacturers in China. We bridge the business and cultural gaps, including all regulatory, compliance, import and transportation requirements.

ChemNutra’s 2005 “About Us” Page:

ChemNutra imports high-quality nutritional and pharmaceutical chemicals from China to the US. We purchase our inventory from over 200 quality-assured manufacturers in China, with whom we have strong relationships over the past twelve years. Our US customers are manufacturers of food, pet food, and pharmaceuticals, who want high quality ingredients, with excellent service and highly competitive prices.

The types of chemicals we import are amino acids, vitamins, preservatives & antioxidants, nutritional minerals, proteins, flavors & flavor enhancers, thickeners & emulsifiers, acidifying agents, and sweeteners.

The principals of ChemNutra have exported over $100 million of feed, food and pharma ingredients from China to manufacturers in the US and elsewhere worldwide. Annually, our volume exceeds 1,000 tons of Amino Acids, plus many other quality ingredients.

Facts:

“A search of public records found that ChemNutra filed for incorporation in California on Aug. 1, 2005, with a Pasadena address and Miller as its agent for service of processes. The company also incorporated in Delaware on Oct. 27, 2003.”

“The company’s office in Las Vegas has only an address (and a locked door). No business name. The company has a business licence in Nevada but hasn’t filed for incorporation in that state. It is presently incorporated in California and Deleware (tax laws I guess). The company claims a 12 year relationship with Chinese companies, but its earliest incorporation was in Delaware in 2003 (California 2005). The company has “surrendered” its incorporation to transact business in California. The company shipped product from the Xuzhou Anying company in China from Nov 9th, 2006 until March 8th, 2007 when it claimed to have learned from Menu Foods that its product was suspected as the source of the pet food contamination.”

You can’t possibly make 12 from 2003–when the company was first incorporated in Delaware.

2007 Feed Product List

2007 Food Product List

2007 Pharma Product List

2005 Product List with clickable links–MANY more products available in 2005 for import than now.

So what happened here from 2005-2007? Why are they importing less rather than more? “Great deals” prior to the wheat gluten which turned out to also be contaminated and they simply gave up sourcing the product?

“According to the Chinese government, Xuzhou Anying did not declare the contaminated wheat gluten it shipped to the United States as a raw material for feed or food. Rather, according to the Chinese government, it was declared to them as NON-FOOD PRODUCT, meaning that it was not subject to mandatory inspection by the Chinese government.”

OK–you order food product and it arrives labeled as non-food. Unless this has been part of the way you’ve been doing business (nod, wink), wouldn’t this set off a red flag when you accepted delivery–even from the totally mercenary standpoint of possibly having been cheated?

Mrs. Miller certainly can read the Chinese paperwork which was connected with the shipment, and it had to say somewhere that it was not food. But it set off no bells and/or whistles that there might be something wrong with this shipment–that indeed it might either not be food or contaminated.

And it went on to the pet food manufacturers as if nothing was wrong. Now, if this is the first time this occurred and you did nothing, you’re guilty of gross negligence–if this is the way you did it then, did it in the past and do it today, it is FRAUD!

The spinmeister can blog his butt off, but he can’t make 12 from 4 (incorporated in DE in 2003) and he can’t or won’t answer the questions re: labeled as non-food but accepted anyway.

zene, the suspicion is that they got greedy and added too much with these latest batches of grains and that is what caused the death and illnesses. Or they might have done a gradual increase in melamine over a long period of time and reached such a level to cause all of this.

I doubt it’s the second though because it’s too odd that so many animals got sick at the same time. Most likely a spiking occurred, based on greed.

12. KatieKat says:

My thinking on the Melamine is that it plain is not Melamine alone, but a combination of the multitude of pestisides and other chemicals that were already in the grains, add Melamine on top of it..boom bad mix.

Or Melamine and GMO grains together make the deadly combo….either way bad news for us and our pets.

13. Tooter says:

Anyone From the Detroit Area? I found this on a search.

Rescue 4 Uncovers What Pet Food Company Execs Did Hours Before Recall

It looks like Rescue 4 Uncovers will have the story at 11:00 PM tonight

I am not in the area (I’m in PA) Just wanted to give the “heads up” to those of you who can watch it.

14. Tooter says:

I am sorry, I messed up.

Here is the first link:

15. KatieKat says:

Man I wished I could get that news, I would love to see this!!

16. Tooter says:

I just wanted to say “Thank you” to all of you. I might not post much, but I sure do READ and you all have given me a Wealth of information!

KatieKat, I sure wish I could see that News report too. Maybe this will get things started for the rest of the News Casts. We can only hope.

17. Christi A. says:

Tooter:

I believe that link was from yesterday. It was posted on several boards last night. The “shocking details” they reported last night at 11:00 were that a Menu Foods exec sold his stock before the recall. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

18. JanC says:

Reading the BS on Wysong’s website leads me to believe that LOTS of pet food company officials/employees are following itchmo, pet connection & howl911 very closely. I’ve been reading as much as I can for weeks now & a lot of what they had to say I can tell you comes from these blogs. Boy oh boy, have they ever gotten an eyeful! I have to laugh when I think of what we all had to say about them. As much as I try to be kind to people & not hurt their feelings, in this case I made an exception…..I just can’t feel kindly towards these executives with them selling stocks & withholding critical information while people continued to feed poison to their beloved pets. I can’t even say that without getting furious all over again.

I agree with Wysong in that Menu didn’t know it was adulterated but did they ever hear of testing a product before adding it to pet food? Did they ever hear of a timely recall once they knew it was adulterated instead of worrying about their stocks & losing their big bonuses? The way it was handled was criminal & although I (thankfully) never or rarely use wet food for my dog, I can tell you I don’t think I’ll ever buy it. If I did, I would have to do research to be sure it didn’t come from MF or ANI. Sorry, but I don’t believe ANI either…..I think they added something they weren’t supposed to in order to screw everyone & boost their profit. IT’S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

If it weren’t for all of you & all of the people running these websites, this would have been swept under a rug. As it is, most people don’t have a clue about half of the foods that were recalled because they were never made public. I guess the pet food companies have the power to stifle the media & keep this quiet.

Hopefully, when the postcards start arriving, it’ll give everyone a different take on this. As I’ve said before, my thanks to all of you.

19. Christi A. says:

Tooter:

I just took a closer look at your link, which does give the impression that it is only a little over an hour old, but it is not. I think the time updates when anything is edited on the page, including the links on the bottom. It is from last night. Here is another example, http://tinyurl.com/3yjyxk, that article is from the end of March, but they keep updating the date so it shows up as a recent article when you do search for pet recall news.

20. KatieKat says:

The Video!!!

21. blkcatgal says:

I’m from the Detroit area. Did not see the 11 pm story but saw the promo. Showed Menu’s CEO’s big mansion in Canada. Here’s the link to watch it:

22. susanUnPC says:

The FDA HOUSE HEARING is on C-Span2 at 7 AM PT. C-Span just ran a banner at the bottom of the screen announcing it.

23. Gary says:

“zenelvis Says:
    May 1st, 2007 at 8:44 am

what i am wondering is, if melamine has been added to pet food for 15 years - why is it only now that it has reached this crisis point?”

zenelvis:
    CRF in cats has been happening in great numbers in the past 15 or so years. So it is very possible they recently upped the quantity of melamine and maybe in combination with other poisons.

24. maddy says:

An article that was I believe here, or at petconnection sited GMO grain being discovered in shipment to UK via Netherlands and origin from China.

U.K. stopped shipment as do not accept GMO grain. This was brought up much earlier that GMO’s use rat poison as a marker and that melamine is one chemical that shows up - could be more as in finding cyuranic acid.

Also read article on another note here, of the Shuller(a couple) who have adulterated grain since 1985 and were caught and then again years later continued to adulterate.

Lastly, the vitamin mix in organix dry is from the Netherlands? another problem? Is this the origin? or is china? who has taken over the vitamin industry with GMO and synthetic chemical processes? China for one.

25. susanUnPC says:

Hearing on FDA’s Critical Mission and Challenges for the Future
    Full Committee
    Tuesday, May 01, 2007, 1:00:00 PM, in 2154 Rayburn House Office Building
    I can’t find the link to the live hearing, but it’ll be on C-Span2, I think. The last blurb I saw on C-Span2 was that the Senate will be discussing the FDA this morning, but that could have been an error.

PLEASE SEE Christie Keith’s must-read Daily Kos Diary:
    “BREAKING: FDA says thousands of pets dead, Chinese import alert expands”

26. susanUnPC says:

This is the info at C-Span, with the list of witnesses from the FDA:

House Committee
    Food and Drug Administration Oversight
    Oversight and Government Reform
    Washington, District of Columbia (United States)
    ID: 197886 - 05/01/2007 - 2:00 - No Sale

Waxman, Henry U.S. Representative, D-CA
    Kennedy, Donald Commissioner (1977-1979), Food and Drug Administration
    Young, Frank E. M.D. Commissioner (1984-1989), Food and Drug Administration
    Kessler, David A. M.D. Commissioner (1990-1997), Food and Drug Administration
    Von Eschenbach, Andrew C. M.D. Commissioner, Food and Drug Administration

27. Carol says:

FOX News just did a great live interview with Sen Durbin who laid it all out!!! Hope many of you sawi it. Of course Fox’s reporter had to “get away” from that story and ended with the Iraq war but Sen Durbin did make this the lead story in his interview–hat’s off to him.
    He shredded Menu and the FDA!!!

28. Natalie says:

I was shocked and dismayed at the entire tone of Wysong’s “FAQ” page. Not professional, for starters, more like childish. Somebody should have slept on that idea and given it another thought before posting it.

And I agree that Wysong misses the point about the problem with Menu Foods. The problem is animal testing and, in particular, their failure to immediately recall the food as soon as they knew there was a problem. They don’t have to know what the problem is when they know it’s killing pets.

The congressional hearing certainly suggested that Menu’s recall occurred only because Iams forced them into it.

That’s where Menu Foods lost any shred of respect.

Really, I just can’t believe Wysong posted such a childish rant…

29. Serijna says:

That Wysong web page is IMO almost hilarious. More like “How to influence people not to buy your product and how not to make friends.. I cannot buy, however, that only the Chinese knew about the melamine addition. Too many American companies have offices/plants in China, they are not stupid and did not get big by being ignorant.. They had to know about it, if it had been going on for years.
    I think that something went wrong with their witches’ brews. Too much of something lethal and too much greed. The tainting is too widespread now. Wilbur-Ellis is also not a small company like Chemnutra. They and other apparently were hoping that ala Vegas what happens in China, stays in China. This is a big big scandal.

30. Garyn says:

I just spoke to Purdue. They say they are a totally integrated company and that their flocks are not involved and that they do not import their chicken food, they make it themselves and that there is no melamine in their poultry.

Time for criminal indictments. That Detroit Video made me sick to my stomach. Put every last one of them on trial. And all their cohorts and partners in crime in the industry as well.

Caution. Bastards at Work

33. Natalie says:

Email sent to Wysong:

To Wysong Foods,

I was shocked and dismayed to see this rather childish and unprofessional document appear on your website.

While I support some of your points, such as the hysteria about corn and carbohydrates, those points are lost in vented anger and sarcasm.

I found the following comment particularly odious given how many of us have unwittingly been forced to “experiment” with melamine in our pets’ foods, resulting in the deaths of thousands of pets:

“Before being too critical of the ethics of others, pet owners must understand that when pets are confined to a home, yard, or leash and then fed what the owner selects, that is like a caged animal experiment.”

Was it your intent to be callous toward the thousands of people with sick and dying pets when you made this statement?

In addition, you miss the point of the rejection of Menu Foods. The point of contention is Menu Food’s failure to recall the food as soon as they became aware that it was killing pets. The congressional hearing made it plain that Menu Foods recalled the food when they did primarily because Iams forced them into it. Who knows how much longer they would have allowed millions of consumers to continue to feed contaminated food if they weren’t pressured.

So now, after losing respect for Menu Foods, I’ve lost respect for Wysong. But in this case, Wysong has only itself to blame.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE P07-75
    May 1, 2007
    Media Inquiries: 301-827-6242 Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

FDA Commissioner Announces New Food Protection Position
    Commissioner of Food and Drugs Dr. Andrew C. von Eschenbach today announced the creation of the position of Assistant Commissioner for Food Protection to provide advice and counsel to the Commissioner on strategic and substantive food safety and food defense matters.

David Acheson, M.D., F.R.C.P. will be assigned to this new senior leadership role.

Currently, Dr. Acheson serves as chief medical officer and director of the Office of Food Defense, Communication and Emergency Response at the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN).

In his new role, Dr. Acheson will work with individual FDA product centers, as well as the Office of Regulatory Affairs to coordinate FDA’s food safety and defense assignments and commitments.

In addition, Dr. Acheson will serve as the commissioner’s direct liaison to the Department of Health and Human Services, of which FDA is a part, and to other U.S. departments and agencies on food safety and food defense related inter-agency initiatives.

“The protection of America’s food supply and therefore the safety of Americans eating food of domestic or international origin is of utmost importance to me as a physician, and to the mission of this agency,” Dr. von Eschenbach said. “We’ve seen a rapid transformation of the food safety system due to advances in production technology, rapid methods of distribution, and the globalization of food sources. Dr. Acheson’s wealth of experience, and knowledge of the science behind food protection, will help the agency keep pace with this transformation in order to ensure that the safety and nutritional value of our food supply is second to none.”

One of Dr. Acheson’s first projects will be the development of an agency-wide, visionary strategy for food safety and defense. The strategy will identify and characterize changes in the global food safety and defense system, and identify current and future challenges and opportunities. It will also name potential barriers, gaps, and most critical needs in a food safety and defense system. The strategy will serve as the framework in helping the agency prioritize and address food safety and defense challenges.

As a CFSAN office director, Dr. Acheson currently has had the lead for emergency response, as well as outreach and communications to industry, state and consumers on issues pertaining to the center. He manages a staff of epidemiologists, biostatisticians and others in providing risk assessments, aid in epidemiological investigations of foodborne outbreaks, and other important center-wide functions.

Before joining the agency, Dr. Acheson held several research and academic positions. He has served as an associate professor at the University of Maryland Medical School in Baltimore, where he focused on research of foodborne pathogens and, prior to that, as an associate professor at Tufts University in Boston, where he undertook basic molecular pathogenesis research on foodborne pathogens.

Dr. Acheson is a graduate of the University of London Medical School in the United Kingdom, with training in internal medicine and infectious diseases. He has published extensively and is internationally recognized both for his public health expertise in food safety and his research in infectious diseases. Additionally, Dr. Acheson is a fellow of both the Royal College of Physicians (London) and the Infectious Disease Society of America.

Dr. Acheson will begin this new assignment immediately. He will report to Dr. Murray Lumpkin, Deputy Commissioner for International and Special Programs.

Sooo……

35. zenelvis says:

Gary Says:

Gary, do you have any links to more info or stats on this? I don’t doubt it for a second, but I’d be interested to see if any research had been done on the increase.

Thanks to you all and thank God for this website.

36. Kiki says:

My e-mail sent to them at 8:58 am, May o1, 2007 EST

Dear Dr. Wysong,

After having read your attempt at vindicating Menu Foods for their actions/inactions during this pet food recall catastrophe, I can no longer support you and your pet food company. I am extremely disappointed by what you have chosen to write regarding your seriously flawed interpretation of so-called “Internet claims” and your rebuttal. Obviously, you just don’t get “it”. First and foremost, if it were not for the few major websites that stayed on-top of this unfolding crisis, many more pets would have died due to incomplete and inaccurate actions and reporting by more formal means such as Menu Foods, the media, and the FDA. All of these conduits of information were completely unresponsive and asleep on the job. Indeed, the unfolding pet food catastrophe and discovery of the problem of purposely adulterated human and pet food by Chinese suppliers would never have emerged at all if it were not for these dedicated websites and concerned pet-owners and animal enthusiasts.

Most, if not all information on these websites are accurate and timely. In the very few cases where information may not have been 100% accurate, I have personally witnessed these websites retract their own errors and update accordingly. In addition, most intelligent people can differentiate fact (what the websites reported daily) from opinion (forum feedback of those facts). I would also go as far as to say, the harshest critics of potential mis-information have been the users themselves - who often demand proof of statements made or have countered with their own set of data and debate.

Why has Menu Foods been vilified by the public?

Menu Foods has been and will continue to be vilified by the public simply because they did not do the right thing. To this day, they have not done the right thing. If they decide to do the right thing at some point in the future, I predict that it be too little and too late. Menu Foods could have chosen more appropriate responses to the emerging crisis and to the pet owners at any time over the course of the recalls, but chose otherwise. In fact, it was their selfish and self-absorbed approach to the crisis that directly contributed to incomplete recalls and probably contributed to more pet illnesses and deaths. This is the main reason why Menu Foods themselves will remain forever “tainted” in the eyes of pet owners - even after the crisis eventually ends.

What could have been more appropriate responses by Menu Foods?

Here are just few alternative and possibly more appropriate responses that Menu Foods could have taken:

1. Take complete and utter direct corporate responsibility for the tainted pet food and act accordingly with timely and complete recalls. At the end of the day, Menu Foods is ultimately responsible for ensuring a safe product. If they wanted to recoup losses from their upline (suppliers, etc), they could have done that in private - independent of their direct corporate responsibility to pet owners and brand customers.

2a. Apologize and unequivocally take IMMEDIATE financial responsibility for the damages - pet illnesses, deaths, on-going treatments and surveillance, and product purchases. This was not a time to put an undue burden of evidence on the pet owner. A simple vet letter or any reasonable piece of evidence should have been enough. Many people had to euthanize their animals because they could not afford medical treatment (I fortunately did not lose an animal to this recall). This compensation could have come out of a Menu Foods Pet Food Compensation Fund. A simple consumer form, vet receipts, and other relevant documentation such as food receipts, food samples or bags/cans, proof of address, social security number, or other means of verification should have released funds immediately to the affected pet owners.

b. Another approach could have been the direct payment to vets who would have had the diagnostic info and treatment plan.

c. Yes, Menu Foods might have lost some money to fraud and might still have been sued, but Menu Foods would have retained their name and reputation. At the end of the day, no-one could have faulted Menu Foods for not doing the right thing.

3. Be and stay front and center of the crisis with consistent public interaction, updated information, and possible recommendations. Instead Menu Foods modified their website to reflect nothing, hired people with incomplete scripts to handle their phones, and became completely unavailable to the press and public. The few times Paul Henderson, CEO of Menu Foods decided to make a public statement, it was only to defend Menu Foods actions and to blame others. Menu Foods showed no concern whatsoever to pets, pet owners, or brand customers. Instead of being industry leaders by successfully managing this crisis and by taking care of their obligations, they became part of the problem. No, they themselves became THE problem - the face, name, and the primary cause of a terrible situation that quickly turned into a crisis.

4. Should not have fed tainted food to healthy animals. Palatability tests are considered ethical because of the equipoise of risk and benefit - that is, feeding tests are considered either balanced or in favor of a benefit to animals. Once Menu Foods received information that there could be a potential problem with their food, the equipoise of risk and benefit was disrupted. At that point, they had a moral obligation to protect their healthy test animals from harm and to use alternative means to assess and rule out risk. Instead, they allowed a very high percentage of test animals to die. The estimated death rate of the Menu Foods test animals that ate tainted pet food seems to be much higher than the death rate among pets that ate tainted pet food. This suggests (but does not prove) that once the animals became sick at Menu Foods, these animals were not given treatment. If this is true - and Menu Foods DOES have this information - then this inaction too, is inexcusable and immoral. No pet owner can reconcile that a pet food company dedicated to making nutritious, safe food for pets, would or could purposely harm or kill animals without homes (test animals) to assure safe pet food for animals with homes (pets). It is morally irreconcilable.

There is much more to mention, but it is probably safe to say that this short letter should suffice in giving a glimpse of how a company can survive a crisis, salvage a reputation, foster goodwill, and indeed, potentially INCREASE a customer base.

Dr. Wysong, you are wrong in your assessment of the situation and in your support and loyalty to a company that had neither the courage nor the moral compass to provide the same support and loyalty to so many customers who have been harmed.

In light of your interpretation of the situation, I can no longer support your company or your products and will actively share my opinion with other pet owners as the situation allows.

37. Ann H says:

Excellent Natalie.

Points the PFI don’t want us to comprehend:

A) They knew better than us the condition of the Chinese market / were obligated to know the condition of the Chinese market, regardless of the spin from their importers.

B) They had an obligation to their target market and the Brands to protect the reputations of the businesses and the lives/health of the companion animals.

C.) They miserably failed

- now Wysong doesn’t get that part. So, Bong! Wyson, you failed too.

I did get emails and you all tried your sales pitch to switch over to * your * products. So, you’d sell out Menu to your benefit, but you can’t wear the shoes when they pinch?

Ann

38. susanUnPC says:

PLEASE SEE Christie Keith’s must-read Daily Kos Diary:
    “BREAKING: FDA says thousands of pets dead, Chinese import alert expands”

– I want to add that Christie’s diary is on the Recommended List, which means that hundreds of thousands of people are reading her diary, including many members of the mainstream media, which checks Daily Kos often. (If you haven’t signed up at Daily Kos, do so so you can recommend diaries by Christie, Jhritz, Abby, and me, and so you can also add comments. Pre-registration is required to add comments, but it’s very easy to sign up.)

39. Donna says:

For those of you not visiting the Making A Difference forums, I’m creating a Webshots online photo album of affected pets, to go along with the postcard blitz. I’m asking anyone whose pet was sick or died to email me a photo along with their pet’s name, the foods they ate, date of passing if they died, and contact info (email address, city and state).

Email to: AngelSimba61 at yahoo dot com. I’ll post a link to the website once there are photos in it (my pets weren’t affected).

Please spread the word. :)

40. pat says:

my e-mail to wysong. i’m afraid I wasn’t very polite, but I gave them as much consideration as they give us:

I find it interesting that you should choose to defend Menu Foods rather than defend the welfare of companion animals.

A variety of misleading claims and myths have been proliferated by pet food companies too. I don’t see Menu as being any better or worse than the rest. The sad fact is that the practice of using ingredients of questionable quality is not limited to pet food, as we have suspected all along and now know.

I am not “hysterical”. I am *angry*. There’s a difference, you know. Attempting to trivialize those of us who have been affected by this situation as hysterical is grossly offensive.

I’m particularly offended by the statement that because many individuals are cruel to their animals, it’s alright to look the other way when Menu foods is cruel to animals. Cruelty for profit is ok I guess. What genius wrote this “rebuttal” anyway? What do you hope to accomplish with it? Because what you’re doing is just making people more and more angry with you.

I will never buy any of your products again. I will tell everyone I know not to buy any of your products. And not because you are involved with Menu Foods. It’s because you are thoughtless jerks.

Seeing that Menu Foods Plant in that Detroit New 4 expose made me want to projectile vomit.

42. Gary says:

I wonder if the workers in the MenuF filth hole are just as bad?

43. susanUnPC says:

The USA Today story was just updated 17 minutes ago:

I can’t tell you how it was updated since I haven’t read the original story. But here are a few key paragraphs — and it sounds like us HUMANS are also going to begin to be protected:

The Food and Drug Administration is enforcing a new import alert that greatly expands its curtailment of some food ingredients imported from China, authorizing border inspectors to detain ingredients used in everything from ***noodles to breakfast bars***.

The new restriction is likely to cause delays in the delivery of raw ingredients for ***the production of many commonly used products***. … […]

Now for the products to reach U.S. foodmakers, the importers will have to prove to the FDA that they are safe. The ingredients restricted include wheat gluten, rice gluten, rice protein, rice protein concentrate, corn gluten, corn gluten meal, corn by-products, soy protein, soy gluten, mung-bean protein and amino acids.

According to the alert notice posted on the FDA website Friday, the agency has so far taken 750 samples of wheat gluten and products made with wheat gluten and found 330 positive for melamine or melamine combined with another substance. It also found 27 positives out of 85 samples of rice protein concentrate and products made with rice protein concentrate.

(emphases mine)

NOTE: It sounds like the FDA is working very hard on this, and let’s remember that they’re understaffed and underbudgeted, so it’s much harder for them than it should be. Public pressure has no doubt accelerated and widened the investigation by the FDA, but it’s critical to note that they are being responsive, and for that they deserve credit, if not 100% praise.

Little insider manipulation going on here?

45. Kiki says:

Steve;

How so, for us newbies on stocks? It looks like their stock went up - what could they be doing to “manipulate” their stock value??

OK–if we haven’t stirred up enough hornets’ nests, let’s try this–PFI:

Pet Food Industry Urges Federal Officials to Press Chinese Companies on Melamine-Tainted Exports

Washington, DC, April 26, 2007 – The Pet Food Institute (PFI), which represents U.S. pet food manufacturers, today announced it asked the U. S. Trade Representative Susan C. Schwab and the Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration Andrew von Eschenbach for swift action to answer questions about how melamine, a substance foreign to pet food, ended up in specific ingredients from China.

There’s a release–here’s the 2 links for it:

“The Pet Food Institute said it has been “heartened” by reports the Chinese government is actively investigating the two companies implicated in the shipment, but expressed frustration that it has taken so long for U.S. inspectors to gain access to Chinese facilities.”

“Fortunately, some 99 percent of pet food still remains unaffected by the recall and may be purchased with confidence,” Ekedahl wrote. “But until the ultimate source of the contaminated ingredients is identified and contained, we cannot rest.”

OK, if this is true, why is this necessary?

IA #99-29, 4/27/07, IMPORT ALERT #99-29, “DETENTION WITHOUT PHYSICAL
    EXAMINATION OF ALL VEGETABLE PROTEIN PRODUCTS FROM CHINA FOR ANIMAL OR HUMAN
    FOOD USE DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF MELAMINE AND/OR MELAMINE ANALOGS”
    PRODUCTS: Wheat Gluten
    Rice Gluten
    Rice Protein
    Rice Protein Concentrate
    Corn Gluten
    Corn Gluten Meal
    Corn By-Products
    Soy Protein
    Soy Gluten
    Proteins (includes amino acids and protein hydrosylates)
    Mung Bean Protein