Recall Update: Tuesday (FDA Says 4150 Pets Reported Dead)

Update:

Top News:

Other News:

A little Web site notice: If you scroll down, you’ll notice our newly expanded coverage of non-recall news for pets and pet owners. We’ll keep bringing you the news! Enjoy and keep coming back.
Find Help in Itchmo Forums:

Popular Recall Links:

NOTE: We will not tolerate hate speech, racism, fraud, or promotion of illegal activities on our comments or forums. On the other hand, thank you to the thousands of commenters who have been helpful, polite, and kind to everyone else.

(Post bumped to top. Thanks to many reader tips.)

172 Responses to “Recall Update: Tuesday (FDA Says 4150 Pets Reported Dead)”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 » Show All

1. Kiki says:

Can someone explain how to make these tinyurls. they are great, but how is it done?

Steve, looking forward to a tutorial!

2. Rick says:

Hey folks,

I sent the website RawStory.com an email about the fact that so little attention has been given to this story in the media and how we need help getting the word out better and they posted a story with the USA Today link. If anyone cares to hop over and leave a comment, it might help. And we’d have a chance to give props to itchmo.com, and the other pet blogs who’ve done all the hard work. Here’s a link http://rawstory.com/

3. Pit Bull Lover says:

E. Hamilton said: …”off their meds”?

I’m LOL (at work, and trying to stifle it).

I just wanted to thank all the Itchmo peeps, posters and agitators for your efforts in the real world and in cyberspace, for keeping us all informed on the latest news, and for offering empathy, humor and encouragement. Most folks around me seem to be on autopilot, and I found that maddening and extremely distressing. I’m grateful I found Itchmo (and other sites) where people actually give a damn. The news isn’t good, but at least it’s no longer completely supressed, and I think you all have had a part in turning that tide.

Kiki go here.

And it’s all explained. Easy.

5. Kiki says:

Thanks Steve!! now ’bout those stock prices…..? I’m enlisting you as my teacher today!!

6. Fiona says:

Hello everyone,

I need some HELP please. I have been cooking my dogs their meals after this recall started. Chicken,green beans,carrots,sweetpotatoes, in the crockpot. What I do not know is how much chicken….(protein) should I be feeding them. I dont want to give them to much or to little.

I called the vet yesterday to ask him how much protein to give and he told me to start feeding them sience diet!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

Not going to happen…so I thought I would ask for your help. Does anyone know the correct amount. I have a 85lbs and 60lbs dogs.

Thank you very much. Lets hope this will be all over soon. Wishful thinking I think!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sorry to those that have lost their furry loved ones. My heart goes out to you all.

Fiona

7. susanUnPC says:

Sen. Enzi, the minority ranking member of the HELP committee — which oversees the FDA — is talking about food safety, the pet food recall, etc.

He is also worried that if the Chinese are messing with our food, what might they be doing to the DRUGS we import from abroad?

8. susanUnPC says:

Senator Enzi is speaking on C-Span2. VERY good. And I’m thrilled that the Republicans are on board about these grave problems with our food supply, and our drug supply.

9. Sandy says:

Check this out.

For Immediate Release: April 30, 2007
    Contact: Jodi Seth/202-225-5735

Contamination of Chinese Wheat Gluten Widespread
    Dingell, Stupak Dispatch Investigators to West Coast Ports

10. zenelvis says:

Fiona Says:
    I called the vet yesterday to ask him how much protein to give and he told me to start feeding them sience diet.

Yeah, Science Diet is crap - my cats won’t go near it. You know, the more this progresses, the less I trust my vet, or any vet. Last year a vet gave my best buddy, Henry-cat, metacam after a minor operation. He died of kidney and heart failure less than 2 weeks later. Turns out giving pets meds off label is not only perfectly legal, it is pretty much a norm.

This past weekend, I took my recent adoptee, a 15 year old male kitty named Ivory, for a check up. The first thing he brought up was the food recall. But, as we got into discussing it, I realized that he knew nothing - and I mean nothing - of the recalls and crisis outside of the initial Menu Foods recall. I was astounded. Am I too optimistic to think vets should be up on this? Needless to say, I wrote down itchmo.com and handed it to him.

11. Jules says:

Fiona, you asked:
    May 1st, 2007 at 11:42 am
    “What I do not know is how much chicken….(protein) should I be feeding them?”

From “8 Weeks to a Healthy Dog” by Shawn Messonnier, D.V.M. (a holistic vet)

Homemade Diet for Adult Dogs

1/3 pound (UNCOOKED weight) lean meat, such as turkey, chicken, beef

2 cups cooked brown rice; OR 2-3 cups mashed potatoes; OR 2 cups cooked pasta

2 Tbsp. canola or olive oil

1/4 tsp table salt

Natural multivitamin/mineral supplement

4-6 bonemeal tablets (10 grain or equiv.) or 1 - 1 1/2 tsps bonemeal powder

1/2 - 1 cup fresh, raw, or slightly steamed vegetables

This diet provieds approx. 964 cal., 34 gr. of protein and 49 gr. of fat

This is approx. enough for a 25 - 30 pound dog, per day. Fo a 60 pound dog, you’d need to double the recipe.

I hope that helps!

12. 4lgdfriend says:

zenelvis, you’re singin’ my tune. and a sour tune it is. then you see a piece like petconn has up, all but apologizing for the guilty party and asking petowners to cozy up to them again…..burns my boat. Vets are guilty by association and they know it. They’re defensive as hell if they’ve paid enough attn to even be that. High time it is known.

13. Kiki says:

Download a 2006 pamphlet on Nutrient Requirements for Dogs and Cats at the link. If you need help, please let me know. I have background in nutrition and can help with the conversions (if needed)

Calorie content of various foods

Chicken fat 115
    Butter 102
    Olive Oil 119
    Corn Oil 120
    Safflower Oil 120

14. Annie says:

That video was so GROSS, My God the place was so dirty.

15. Kiki says:

Chicken fat 115
    Butter 102
    Olive Oil 119
    Corn Oil 120
    Safflower Oil 120

16. susanUnPC says:

If you want to discuss home cooking, there is a thread in the Itchmo forums where you can ask questions about suitable recipes, and share recipes:

MAKING YOUR OWN PET FOOD

:::::::

SANDY, thank you so much for posting the Energy & Commerce press release. This is critically important and should be featured on every blog about the recall.
    And NOTE that the Energy Commerce committee is holding a second hearing on food safety on May 17th, “at which the FDA’s food safety activities will be examined.”

HERE’S the page to go to when today’s House Oversight hearing — on “The FDA’s Critical Mission and Challenges for the Future” — begins at 1pm ET:
    – you should be able to listen to the hearing live here, and/or on C-Span3 (or C-Span2 TV).

17. zenelvis says:

4lgdfriend:

And it makes me so very angry. I’ve only met one vet in my life who I have trusted, and who I could honestly say gave a damn about pets. (I’m 35 and have always lived with at least one cat or dog since I was, well, born)

What really got me this past weekend when I went to my vet - and mind you, I think he’s pretty good when compared to many another I have been to and met (don’t get me started) - but what really got me was that he had never even heard of some of the pet foods I brought up - Innova, Blue Buffalo, etc. Did all of these vets sign into some sort of cabal wherein they can only mention Science Diet? I think of pet nutrition as being sorta key - so a vet not knowing about options strikes me as a human doctor who has never heard of antibiotics or something. Completely unforgivable.

Unfortunately, I live in a small town in Maine, without many vet choices nearby and cats that are not car friendly…

18. susanUnPC says:

RE WYSONG: I’ve created a new topic area in Itchmo forums where you can all post your comments about Wysong’s statements on Menu Foods, and where you can also post the letters you’ve sent to Wysong:

“WYSONG’S statements re Menu Foods / Letters to Wysong”

19. Kiki says:

Fiona and/or Others:

Here is a link to a summary of the 2006 Report on Dog and Cat Nutrition by the naional Research Council.

If you need help with any conversions, let me know.

here is the link Donna set up for the photo album her email again is

AngelSimba61@yahoo.com

i just sent my info and pictures. If anyone can think of away to make this info more accessible please let Donna not there is probably a better way to organize this site, but I am not computer guru.

21. Barry says:

Tom Toles has an excellent editorial cartoon today about this whole mess: http://tinyurl.com/2wbwyu

22. 4lgdfriend says:

Zenelvis: I consider vets a pethealth industry subject to the same panopoly of abuses as any other. What really torques me is that the gross majority (I’ll be kind and say 99% not 100%) are exactly a “cabal” and they know it. Most do not appreciate the dumkopf petowner questioning their omnipotent wisdom. It’s a crock if you do any even small amount of digging. I’ve come to the point where I accept I must and will continue to *protect* my cat(s) from them. I use them ONLY for tests and then I read up on the tests, the labs and the results myself. Surgery only. I believe the plain truth is that many illnesses that pay their salaries have been caused by overvaccination, aided by poor nutrition. Try getting an education on that from any vet. I dare you. It won’t happen. I simply do not trust them. Period. They have lost my respect. To me, they are just another typical profit-driven industry cabal - that’s all. But knowledge can be had and I’ve got quite a bit - enough to ask the right questions. And I intend to protect my animals by continuing to ask them.

23. alabelreader says:

zenelvis,

Wasn’t it a Canadian University researcher that found that a combination
    of melamine and cyanuric acid ( both found in tainted vegetable proteins)
    that produced a chemical effect that made crytals form in a specific
    ph enviroment that mimicked that of digestive system of our pets?

University of Guelph I believe it was……..

If I recall, it was stated that melamine and cyanuric acid ( the swimming pool chemical) when blended, turned cloudy and started to immediately
    form crystals, that are exactly like what’s been found in the kidneys of
    the victims ( pets) and that it had something to do with the ph of the digestive systems that made this chemical reaction…….I’ll see if I can find the article and post the link…….

24. Sandy says:

SusanUnPC - You’re welcome. I have been trying to keep up with the available news on this subject like all have.

Regarding the Post Card Blitz:

I haven’t lost any pets, but have been in alot of turmoil surrounding what to feed my pets. The PC Blitz should expand somehow to include ALL people who have been affected by this issue. I think that limiting it to only people who have lost pets or who have ill pets is leaving out alot of people that this issue matters to. Maybe we could have a PC Blitz for everyone affected. Or maybe the people that haven’t had pets affected could just send a regular postcard that says : I haven’t lost a pet, but I have suffered with uncertainty of the food I feed to my pets and the food I eat. Or something along those lines. I believe this would greatly expand the numbers of people participating.

25. SAM says:

Help! (And thank you itchmo for covering all this!) Does anyone feed Wellness or California natural? Any good or bad news on these? I need to switch my dog to a fish/sweet potato mix for allergies, but don’t trust anyone. I’ve heard good things about these, just want to check first with you guys. I agree, no one else, including the vets, seem to be up to date on the news.

I bought a bag of Artemis Fresh Mix and my dog loves it (the quarter cup I gave him) then discovered on the PET FOOD LIST it’s made by diamond… wrote to the company twice re the recent mess of manufacturers spiking foods with contaminated rice protein, even if it’s not in the ingredients. I asked them point blank if they’d checked into this, if they had any response, and to please write back or post it on their website (which hasn’t been updated since 4/18).

I haven’t heard back either time, nor has their information changed, so I can only assume from this lack of response that they don’t want to be upfront on this subject, therefore I don’t trust this food.

26. Joan says:

They need to devise a blood test for animals and humans to detect melamine. I bet we would we would all test positive!

27. Kiki says:

Joan: I completely agree!!!

28. susanUnPC says:

WATCH LIVE HEARING HERE:

29. kellkell says:

Just thought I’d toss this in about Vets and their knowledge of pet foods. I discussed this subject with my vet who I trust implicitly and she explained that all through Veterinary school there was but one discussion about food and nutrition and as it turns out it was given by Hills. The gentleman gave them documents showing how much research and such goes into Hills and because this talk was given in the context of their school, they believe it. She has never recommended a food to us, her clinic (which she just works at, not the owner) sells Royal Canin and Avo Derm and if you ask her she will say, well “they say” but she isn’t giving anyone an endorsement, she doesn’t feed her pets that food either.
    Essentially vets are very much like human doctors, they know about treatment, there are nutritionists for humans and pets. We should be talking to nutritionists not vets about what to feed.
    So while I do believe some Vets sell the food for money, others are mislead and perhaps they should spend a little time learning about what they are selling.
    Just putting this out there.

30. zenelvis says:

4lgdfriend:

I agree with you absolutely. I am the same way. I will not let a vet touch my cat unless I deem it necessary. I may have been more trusting about a year ago, but I’ve always made it my business to be an educated pet parent. after my boy was poisoned with metcam (anyone unaware of metcam and its danger to cats, google it), I lost any trust I had for vets.

I remember about 5 years ago one of my cats started throwing up every time he ate science diet. my vet’s solution? try another bag of science diet….sure they’re not getting paid to hawk that garbage.

I also refuse to get my cats vaccinated after learning about the cancer danger in both cats and dogs. Arguing with my vet about that has become something I take some pleasure in. They try to say, ‘the beneifts outweigh the danger,’ knowing all four of my cats never set foot outdoors or have any exposure to other animals.

31. zenelvis says:

kellkell:

thanks for your last post - very interesting. i just find it very distressing, this lack of vet knowledge of pet nutrition. i think that in general, human doctors have a far greater working knowledge of nutrition. it seems to me that a vet constantly pushing Science Diet and only Science Diet (which I have experienced many times) would be like a person going into the doctor and saying, ‘alright, i have a weight problem, what should i eat?’ and the doc says, ‘well, we have some lollipops out in the lobby..’ it as if vets only educate themselves on what they can sell for the most money.

32. She says:

I can’t find the video this talks about, but a news station investigated what pet food execs did hours before the recall. Maybe someone else can help find this and highlight it to Itchmo? Thanks!

33. kellkell says:

zenelvis Says:
    May 1st, 2007 at 1:31 pm

It is distressing to be sure. What my Vet said was she believes that the schools are trying to teach more about nutrition and alternative meds now. But of course unless the Vet you go to attends the courses (continuing education) they aren’t going to benefit. We talk with her about foods and what we know and she always thanks us for giving her more information. We love her and trust her because she isn’t afraid to say she doesn’t know. She follows that up with but I will find out and expect a call in a day or two. Invariably she always calls with information and we totally respect that. Our dog has had elevated enzymes and there is no symptomatic cause for the elevation, but we do a comprehensive test every year just in case. None of the vets we have talked to have any ideas other than it could just be how she is. They say it’s unusual to even know about the elevation because she’s not symptomatic, that they have no baseline because so few people test otherwise healthy dogs. Our vet made calls to internal specialists and a professor at a Veterinary College granted we still didn’t have an answer but she went above and beyond what most would have done. The consensus was to do a biopsy of her pancreas and liver but we came to the conclusion that since she’s not symptomatic and even the biopsy might not tell us anything it wasn’t worth the risk. We just continue to monitor things.
    Long journey to get to, not all Vets are bad, some just need more education or to be more honest.
    I have little to no patience for a Vet who tells me I don’t know what I am talking about. Or one that decides to try to educate me about a food that they happen to sell. That would make me highly suspicious. My pup is my life and I do my research and luckily I have a Vet who respects and supports that.
    Oh and she originally got us to trust her because we made an appointment for shots and asked her if it was necessary and she said no, we can do titers and we have every year. Fur baby gets no shots unless the titers say she doesn’t have the anti-body, so far, after 5 years, she hasn’t had a single shot, that includes rabies which tells me we are WAY over inoculating. I do realize that we are illegal, but she never goes anywhere without us, and she doesn’t interact with other dogs because shes not dog-friendly. We are willing to take the risk vs. giving her cancer from over-inoculation.

34. petslave says:

Kiki–thanks for the dog nutrition brochure links. I think that’s the first place I’ve ever seen it stated how much of each item is actually needed. I also downloaded the cat brochure by backing up a step on the url & picking the cat_nutrition_brochure link.

Now is there anywhere that tell what foods contain how much of each of those vitamin/mineral requirements? If not, how do we know how much of each vitamin/mineral is needed to supplement the home cooked diet? Each multivitamen seems to have different amounts of different things, all very confusing.

35. kellkell says:

Zenelvis

36. Chad says:

Started home cooking for my boy (dog) but I want to add a single vitamin supplement. The only ones I could find in stores where only designed as a supplement to commercial food. The calcium was only 75mg, vitamin A was really low too etc. etc.

I was looking at Furoshnikov’s formula from cookforyourdog.com. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Or do you know of any other products like this that contain all the vitamins etc. I would like powdered form if possible.

Thanks for your help. I need to order this today!

37. Kiki says:

Petslave,

If you feed naturally occuring food with variety and moderation, then your pets will get the majority of the nutrients they need. If you supplement, then a single balanced vitamin/mineral supplement as recommended should be safe and fine. If you need more help, let me know.

38. Kiki says:

Andrew C. von Eschenbach, M.D., FDA Commissioner

Not doing too good, in my view - so far anyway…

39. Debbie4747 says:

I just checked the Wysong recall page and it is now uner contruction. Think maybe they got a ltter?….maybe a hint?….maybe even a clue?????

40. Kiki says:

Andrew C. von Eschenbach, M.D., FDA Commissioner

the melamine WAS intentional - this guy is NOT very good…

41. ally says:

Debbie4747 Says:
    May 1st, 2007 at 2:20 pm

Debbie, it’s still showing for me here:

(if you meant their internet rebuttal?)

42. Debbie4747 says:

Ally, thanks..That page came up for me now, but their home page with the recall button produces a page that is now under contruction which wasn’t earlier today. Maybe we will soon see something more responsible from them…yeah right.

43. Kiki says:

Andrew C. von Eschenbach, M.D., FDA Commissioner
    DOES NOT THINK THE FDA/FOOD SYSTEM IS BROKEN - UGH!!!

zenelvis ,

Interesting you brought up the fact that some vets are not very willing to work with you on this food poisoning issue. I just got off the phone with my regular vet we went over the labs sent form the ER vet on Saturday night regarding Geisha relapse, she was very please to see the Kidney levels were back to noraml range so CRF is ruled and when I mentioned that from these boards and from my other cat Topaz having the same relapse as Geisha the following day, it seems that GI irratation is possible going to be a fall out from this pet food mess, she totally ignored my comment. I that the ER vet found it very interesting that my 2 had similair symptoms again within 24 hours, and thought I would pass it on to her since this is new to all invovled still ignored me. Did agree thought that as long as i find a good dry food as a staple I can homecook all the wet stuff I want.

Speaking of that my Kumpi came today anyone hear anything negative about it?

45. Jules says:

petslave Says:
    May 1st, 2007 at 1:46 pm

“Now is there anywhere that tell what foods contain how much of each of those vitamin/mineral requirements?”

Petslave, you can to to www.calorie-count.com and search a food. Under the Nutrition Facts box, there’s a link: Extended Nutritional Details …

46. Danielle says:

I just received the May issue of The Whole Dog Journal yesterday. Lots of stuff about the recall. Also, for those interested in home cooking for your pets, there is a long article about balancing nutritional requirements, part of an ongoing series.

I think you can download it from their website for a fee, or order a single issue.

47. zenelvis says:

kellkell:

Yeah, I know not all vets are bad. Like I said, I’ve met one good one =). Seriously, I guess what bothers me is that the life of my cats (aka, my friends, family and teachers) may one day depend on some one who does not take the responsibility to educate themselves on a matter so dire. I would wager that anyone in this thread is more educated on this mess than many, many vets.

Lorie:

In discussing the pet food crisis with my vet, I brought up topics like rice protein, etc - and he seemed to be very skeptical. Even more so when I brought up Itchmo. He asked, ‘is it science based?’ I ensured him all info came from companies, the government, and other professional organizations, which seemed to interest him. I asked him if they had seen many cases of poisoning, and he said ‘only one.’ now, i live in a small city, about 24k people, but i found this hard to swallow. it made me think that if vets don’t even know about the food being recalled, how can they diagnose food as a possible culprit in cases of renal failure? makes no sense. I sure hope he checked out this site.

anyway, praying for you pets and for everyone effected in this horror.

48. Dr. Annette says:

One human multivitamin tablet per day for mid sized dogs and every other day for cats should cover their basic needs. However, you MUST also supplement with bonemeal. Buy only USP verified products.

49. Garyn says:

Petslave. You can also try this. Scroll down a bit, click on the food and you get the entire analysis.

50. kellkell says:

zenelvis:

I whole heartedly agree, I have no idea what we do had we not been fortunate enough to find the Vet we have. We have met a few who have said things like “well it would be cheaper to just get another pet” instead of offering treatment options. Of course we never went back there.
    I think the true test is when something is wrong, not the yearly visits, how a Vet reacts to a situation that isn’t just an check up (like what’s going on now) that tells you if they are a good Vet or not. Unfortunately like you said, by then it might be too late to find a new one.
    Trust, that’s what this entire situation comes down too. We trusted the government, the food manufacturers, the brand names, our Vets and look at this mess.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 » Show All