When did melamine-tainted food first enter the US?
There has been very little investigation into possible melamine contamination prior to the first Menu Foods recall. We find it highly unlikely that two or more unrelated companies spiked pet food with the same ingredient around the same time.
UPDATE: FDA admits the problem may go back as far as summer of 2006. Also, says up to 10 firms sold tainted pet food as animal feed.
Criticism of FDA continues to mount while human food is at risk:
- (NEW!) Rep. DeLauro threatens to withhold top FDA salaries.
- Melamine found in hogs in up to 6 different states. FDA looking into melamine in chicken.
- FDA finally begins testing “wheat gluten, rice protein concentrate, corn gluten, corn meal, soy protein and rice bran” more than a month after initial pet food recall.
- Companies that received Wilbur-Ellis rice protein so far: Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, Diamond Pet Food, Royal Canin, and SmartPak. FDA has not yet announced all companies.
- Senators claim a second source of tainted rice protein. FDA has yet to name this other company.
- FDA admits it knew of potential food problems. Left the food industry to police itself.
Actions you can take:
- Itchmo Forum members are organizing a postcard campaign for April 28.
- A march is being organized for April 28 in several cities.
- Senator Durbin’s site organizing email campaign to FDA commissioner.
- Read about the house hearing on food safety featuring CEOs of Menu Foods and ChemNutra.
- China allows FDA inspectors.
- Itchmo responds to Sen. Durbin’s request for improving the system.
- Chinese also victims of poor oversight.
Popular Recall Links:
- Recalled Food List
- What to feed my pets: Cat or Dog
- Sign up for Itchmoâ€™s Pet Safety Alerts
- Have questions? Ask in our Forums
(Thanks to SusanUnPC, Steve and mike)