Smokehouse Brand Dog Treats Pulled From PetSmart Shelves

Smokehouse BrandAs of this morning, PetSmart has pulled various Smokehouse Brand dog treats off of their shelves. There have been reports of pets becoming ill after eating the treats, and as a precaution, PetSmart has removed the products. There has been no formal recall as of yet.

Here is what the PetSmart corporate office released to the PetSmart stores:

“Today the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) issued a media alert warning some treat products from China may be a potential threat to pets due to ’several complaints from pet owners and veterinarians of illness in dogs.’ No deaths have been reported at this time. The symptoms of pets reported sick were vomiting, lethargy and anorexia. To date, testing by the FDA and PetSmart Techinical Services has ruled out melamine contamination that might be making pets sick.

For now, we’re going to take the precautionary measure to pull this product from the shelves and contain it in the backroom. Our experts will continue to monitor the situation, analyze samples for a variety of possible problems and ask the vendor to test additonal product. Because of the relatively small number of complaints at this point, we’re not issuing a recall. We’ll provide timely updates as more information becomes available.”

Here is the SKU list of the Smokehouse Brand dog treats that have been pulled off of PetSmart shelves:

7856525052 5108696 Chicken Chips 1lb.
7856525053 5108692 Chicken Chips 8oz.
7856525092 5108693 Chicken Poppers 8oz.
7856525093 5108698 Chicken Poppers 1lb.
7856525134 5108691 Chicken Tenders 8oz.
7856525137 5126536 Chicken Breast Tender Snacks 1lb.
7856525138 5126535 Chicken Tenders 2lb.
7856584255 5126702 Duck Breast Tenders 8oz.
7856584256 5126534 Duck Breast Tenders 1lb.
7856584257 5126532 Duck Chips 1lb.
7856584258 5126531 Duck and Sweet Potato 1lb.
7856585808 5108695 Chicken Tenders 1lb.

89 Responses to “Smokehouse Brand Dog Treats Pulled From PetSmart Shelves”

1. Pet Connection Blog » Pet treats from China pulled from shelves after AVMA issues warning says:

[…] maybe we haven’t learned so much after all, since Itchmo is reporting that Petsmart has issued an internal memo pulling the treats, with no mention of it on the company Web site. Hey, it’s not as if you […]

ACVIM (American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine) Press Release on the Chinese-made Jerky Treats.

3. Heather says:

I have purchased these this past year.I liked that they are dehydrated chicken only, no other ingredients.Last visit I got the turkey treats because they are made in the US. Funny how something ingredient labeled simply as chicken could be a problem! I’m not buying any food product from China, for me or my dog!

4. Donnie says:

oopsie. Guess Petsmart didnt learn.

Dont know why Petco/Petsmart/Pet Supplies Plus and all the independents dont pull all food made in Asia?

That’s odd. Have any Itchmo folks reported problems with these treats?

Looks like the FDA found the toxin in Bestros Chicken Jerky Strips after all.

How long until the next recall?

6. javakitty says:

It’s time to wake up and “get it”!! Why are we still buying food products that come from China? As consumers, are we THAT stupid!!!! Come on, you pay pennies for products and you get junk! There are American made chicken strips, but you are going to pay more for them. So make your choice consumers. Pay for quality, or go to the big boxes and pay for junk. Read lables. Be willing to pay for American made. It is not the ultimate answer because American made has some problems, but you sure have a better chance of having better quality. China products are junk.

7. Rocky says:

Heather,

Maybe that means the BAG was made in the US. It’s really hard to stay current on FDA jargon.

Or maybe “Made in the US” has been expanded to include “those things that are made in China”.

When “non-organic” becomes “organic”, and when toxins are designated as safe eating for animals and humans, anything is within the realm of possibility.

8. Linda says:

Has anyone heard anymore about Canidae dry food being contaminated with acetaminophin?

9. Lesliek says:

Anybody else notice this came out on Friday ?

10. Miki Peltier says:

Well I NEVER buy any treats for my dog from China…after my other dog died in March from the d### pet food.

There are only two dog treats at Petsmart that I can find that are made here in the USA and I only buy those two and my dog is happy and healthy. I educate anyone standing next to me in that aisle.

11. Miki Peltier says:

One has to be careful of the wording on packages.
    MADE IN USA VS PACKAGED IN THE USA.

It seems to be that the manufacturers love to think we are idiots. They slap on the word USA and think we don’t get it.

12. marla briggs says:

I cannot believe so many dog treats are made in China. It is really scary.
    Wall Mart brand chicken treats also had a probem, of course they were made in China.

13. Little Miss Maddi says:

I just had my tiny 3 lb. chihuahua into the vets office because of extreme vomiting, and horrible diarrea including bloody diarrea….Her fecal showed very elevated bacterial levels. This illness started about 8 hours after giving her a Smokehouse Duck Jerky treat from a brand new bag I had just bought at PetsMart. Thank heavens she recovered, and I am lucky she only got one piece. Now, who’s willing to pay my vet bill!!!! PetsMart?….

14. Miki Peltier says:

I am telling everyone - take some time and just start picking up pet treats….read….it will blow your last brain cell. All the crap we have already been thru and the stores are totally stocking their shelves with China crap!!!!!!
    Ya really think retail cares??

15. jj.rover@gmail.com says:

I believe that it should read “Product of the USA” Made in the USA could have products added from other countries.

16. Donnie says:

Remember, treats are treats. They are kinda like candy bars for pets.

17. highnote says:

I agree with jj.rover. Just because something says any more that it is made in the USA really does not mean that the ingredients are from the USA. After all the rice protein and wheat gluten sure did not come from here. So many other things that are in the pet treats, etc. may come from a foreign country.
    It is the same with our food. If it says made in the USA it does not mean that all the ingredients come from here. I have found that lately on our food they are saying where some of the other things come from or they are saying all ingredients from USA.
    Too bad they do not do this with our pet food and treats.
    We really should know where ingredients come from that we are buying.

18. Dogster For The Love of Dog Blog » Archive » Itchmo Reports PetSmart Pulling Smokehouse Brand Treats Off Shelves says:

[…] Itchmo Blog is reporting that PetSmart has sent out a notice to their stores to pull some Smokehouse Dog Treats off the shelves due to some dogs being made sick by them. I haven’t seen the memo but if you have any Smokehouse treats it would be a good idea to hold them back and not give them to your furbabies until we hear more. […]

Please read related article on this site for more detailed information about
    blood chemistry results common to reports:

20. Pukanuba says:

Heather: What brand are those turkey treats made in the USA? I have been to a ton of pet stores & have searched for any chicken or duck jerky made here & everything is made in China. Where did you purchase them? Just curious because my dog loves that jerky & I won’t buy anything made in China…….nada, zip, zilch. Threw out everything in my house that was made in China…….ALL her treats went in the trash.

Read the associated story and note the chemistry.

So there’s some sort of secret clan bend on bilking pet food companies out of
    untold dollars by poisoning their own pets, right? How else could we explain
    it…..

22. Nell Liquorman says:

I have truly believed from the very first report on poisoned pet food, that this is the tip of a huge iceberg of problems. There are probably many undetected things happening in every segment of the food supply, and it may be months or years before they are identified. All poisons do not kill immediately. Toxins accumulate over time in the liver and other vital organs. Country of origin for every ingredient of every product in our market place needs to be on the label, if we want to be safe. If the label on trail mix sold by Sam’s Club can clearly state the country of origin for every fruit and nut in the bag, there is no reason not to know where every morsel that we eat has been. So far, I have seen nothing good come from American Corporations having their goods made in other countries, specifically Communist China. The quality of goods that were made in the USA were superior to any imports. They only reason for having goods made offshore is for cheaper raw materials and cheaper labor. Corporate greed has de-industrialized our nation and killed many of our pets. It is time to take a stand. Try to buy no products made in China. If you must, then wait until they are on sale or show up in a outlet store. This way the corporation does not make a big enough profit to keep offshoring jobs. There is a pet food company that put the country of origin over by it’s trade mark, well away from the list of ingredients, so read the label completely to avoid pet foods from other countries!

The official poop [’scuse the pun] on “Made in the USA”:

“According to the Federal Trade Commission, “Made in USA” means that “all or virtually all” the product has been made in America. That is, all significant parts, processing and labor that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. Products should not contain any — or only negligible — foreign content. The FTC’s Enforcement Policy Statement and its business guide, Complying with the Made in USA Standard, spell out the details of the standard, with examples of situations when domestic origin claims would be accurate and when they would be inappropriate. See ftc.gov/os/statutes/usajump.htm for more information”.

I now need to find the US Gov’s definition for “all or virtually all”.

Does that mean 99.9%, or 50.9%???????

Be careful out there. Government lexicographers are VERY CREATIVE.

24. purringfur says:

Everyone, please, please cook some chicken breasts or liver for your pets, cut it into bite-size pieces, and freeze it. When it’s about 15 minutes before treat time, just pull a piece out to thaw and feed your pets.

Please do not take chances on poisoning your pet for the sake of convenience. Chicken breasts sell for as little as $2.00/lb. on sale up to $5.00/lb. in some areas. The pre-packaged chicken treats are over $3.00 for 12 oz. Would you rather know something is safer to feed your pets, or would you rather pay a $1,000+ vet bill and have a pet with damage to its organs? We cannot take chances any longer.

As someone above mentioned, this is just an inkling of what information is going to come out, and our pets are the ones paying visibly right now. We’re next. Humans take longer to be poisoned or to have their organs damaged. Just watch for the upswing in more human diseases and damage to follow, which “experts” will not clearly be able to attribute to a known source. It will take months and years (maybe decades) to trace patterns in human illness, and knowing how adept our agencies were from the pet food poisonings, months and years to investigate, research, and divulge the findings, IF THEY ARE EVER REVEALED! Big business is in control, and profit is the bottom line.

Please do this for your pet or buy US-grown and produced treats only. Do the same for your families.

25. javakitty says:

Fpr Mike — yes there are a number of products out there (chicken strips) made in the USA. Go to a small mom and pop owned pet store and ask them questions. If they don’t have any answers, go to the next little shop. I own a small mom and pop store. I have american made guaranteed chicken strips in my store. I compete with the big box. The big box cannot get on the phone and call their suppliers and manufacturers and ask the hard questsions. I can and DO! I have been able to get rid of anything in the pet food and treat section that has connections to CHina! It has taken hundreds of my hours of phone calls and research to get this accomplished, but it is done! The big box cannot and will not go to the trouble to do this. Stop supporting your big box stores and Wally Worlds, Targets, etc… They do not have the incentive to do “the right thing”. They are not concerned with the individual customer. As a small business owner, I AM! Each customer that I can get and keep helps keep my family fed and clothed. So think outside the “box” — big box store, that is. PS I had a customer knock on my store door after closing last night and I let him in. He purchased over $100 worth of my american made chicken strips.

26. Jenny Bark says:

5Catmom & Highnote please read my post on last thread. Jenny

27. javakitty says:

For Purringfur -
    Yes, it is perfectly wonderful to cook your own treats. Good for you. But FYI if other folks want to buy the chicken strips from america, you cannot pay a few dollars a pound. The american made sell for $20 for a 1# plastic jar. It is about the size of a small cookie jar with a screw off lid. Another company that packages them in bags sells for the same amount, but are also american products. So if you are going to buy the chicken strips, you are going to pay for the quality you receive.

28. GSD MOM says:

Anyone heard about Plato Smart Dog Treats/chicken strips? They are made in the USA. www.platosmarttreats.com
    I’m hoping these are ok–and MADE IN THE USA.

29. Pukanuba says:

GSD Mom: I bought the Plato Chicken Treats & they are not like the jerky, not even close. My dog seems to like them but my guess is that she liked the chicken jerky better. It’s just not the same. They are made in the USA. They also have duck & salmon so I bought one of each. I had just thrown out every treat I had in the house when I found they were all from China.

I’ll continue my search for chicken jerky made here but now I’m not even sure those are safe. What if the chicken is from China? Maybe I’m paranoid but my dog has somehow managed to escape serious illness from all this toxic stuff & I’d like to keep it that way. I’m not even sure I trust the “made in USA” on the label these days.

30. mya says:

i almost bought these treats the other day but the packaging said manufactured for and gave a company in the usa. since it didnt say where it was made i put the product back. for me it must say made in usa and be grain free.

31. mya says:

go to wholelifepet.com website all there products are from usa. some are single source ingredients such as duck chicken salmon and its made in a human grade usa facility.

32. Elaine says:

My 2 mini Aussies just love string cheese, really any kind of cheese. Why would I need to buy a treat made anywhere?

One thing to watch for, almost all delivery folks, UPS, FEDEX the gas man, etc. feed a dog treat to make your dog like them, so be sure to let them know you don”t allow treats. You don’t allow your kids to take candy from strangers.

I read ALL labels, avoid “proudly distributed by” products with an American address–what does that tell you? I only buy those labeled “product of USA”, or from a country that I am confident in their food safety regulations.

It seems that I read in a Canadian article that they were unhappy because their Made in Canada regulations only require that 50% is Canadian. Is that true? I know we have Canadian bloggers on here.

33. GSD MOM says:

Pucanuba—thanks for the info. What about dehydrating your chicken breasts yourself????? What would you tell someone who insists on buying Dogswell Happy Hips that are Made In China????? Yikes.

34. Gloria Picchetti says:

I like to bring pet presents for my friends’ animals for parties or special occasions. I stopped buying treats. G-d forbid if I am ever responsible for hurting a pet!! Instead I buy toys or books about learning tricks.

35. Jenny Bark says:

GSD Mom, recipe from Mary Bell’s dehydrator book.
    Basic Chicken Jerky
    the same recipe can be used to make turkey jerky. A reminder-ALL POULTY MUST BE COOKED before it can be dried into jerky.

1 pound skinlless, boneless chicken breasts, sinew and transparent tissue removed
    1/4 cup olive oil
    juice of 1 lemon
    1 teaspoon crushed garlic (I don’t use this in mine for the dogs)

1. Cut the chicken into 5 inches long, 1 inch wide, and 1/4 inch thick.
    2. In a bag, combine the oil, lemon juice, and garlic, and add chicken. Squeeze out the air in the plastic bag, making sure all the chicken surfaces are covered with marinade, and seal the bag. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
    2. Preheat the oven to 300%F. Remove the chicken from the bag, place in a glass baking dish, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the baking dish, reserving the cooking juice, which can be used as a sauce. Let chicken cool.
    4. Place the baked chicken strips on mesh sheets in the drying trays. Dry for about 6 to 8 hours, depending on the style of dehydrator, until the strips are leathery.
    Makes 4 to 5 ounces.

My dogs love them, even kitty plays around with a small one. I DON”T use the garlic. You can dry them in the oven at 145 F to 180F but it can take up to 24 hours. I have never did them in an oven. If you really want to make them I bet you know someone who has a dehygrator around. I make up a lot at a time. I keep all my meat, chicken & fish jerky in the ref to be safe. It is really not hard at all. Good luck

GSD mom, if you make jerky strips for your pets, maybe share some with your friend and see if that helps nudge her in the right direction. some people are just hesitant to make their own.

37. Jenny Bark says:

GSD Mom, you can eat one of your home made jerky in front of her & ask her if she feels safe eating her’s. It might work the same as it does with me when I get someone to read Ann Martin’s book. Everone but 1 I know has at leasst changed foods. Good luck.

38. Miles'Mama says:

GSD Mom, you could try the Zukes brand Hip Action treats. They are made in the USA and are actually a better bang for your buck considering the daily serving size. They are available in two flavors, Peanut Butter and Beef. My customers who have switched from Dogswell onto these have been quite pleased.

www.zukes.com

39. Linda says:

WHY - WHY - IS ANYONE STILL BUYING ANYTHING FROM CHINA —– I AM A UNION PERSON AND UNION IS GOOD WE BELIEVE USA — AMERICAN ALL THE WAY — WHEN WILL THIS WONDERFUL COUNTRY AND IT’S CITIZENS WAKE UP AND REALIZE — THE ONLY WAY IS U.S.A. — WE HAVE THE FARM LAND TO GROW OUR OWN GRAINS WHY — WHY — DON’T WE USE IT —– NO WONDER WE HAVE SO MUCH CANCER AND OTHER DISEASES WE NEED TO BE LOOKING AT ALL OF THE OUTSOURCING OF PRODUCTS WE CAN MAKE AND GROW IN OUR OWN COUNTRY —– IT’S HARD TO TELL WHAT IS COMING DOWN THE ROAD THAT WE WILL FIND OUT THAT CHINA AND GOD ONLY KNOWS WHO ELSE IS KILLING US AND OUR PETS === My horse eats Oats, Barley, Corn I mix myself. My dogs are on a very good quality food “SOLID GOLD” and the only treats they get is made from their dry kibble or Mom’s home made — If I don’t have time they love baby carrots — we need to watch what we are feeding — we are just asking for trouble to be buying from these MASS PRODUCTION PLANTS—————- I RESCUED A HORSE FROM GOING TO SLAUGHTER - COME TO FIND OUT HE HAD CANCER — SEE WHAT I MEAN — HE WOULD HAVE BEEN IN YOUR DOGS FOOD!!!!!!! I COULD GO ON AND ON ALL DAY AND ALL WEEK ABOUT HOW MUCH WE NEED TO WATCH WHAT WE ARE PUTTING IN OUR MOUTHS AND FEEDING TO OUR “FUR KIDS” I LOVE MY BABIES SO MUCH I’LL DO ANYTHING FOR THEM —– AND —– YOU’LL ALSO SAVE MONEY — JUST THINK HOW MUCH THEY CHARGE FOR THAT JUNK FORM CHINA WHEN YOU COULD SPEND A LITTLE MORE FOR THEIR KIBBLE AND CUT OUT THE TREATS — OR — BETTER YET BUY 7 EXTRA CHICKEN BREASTS — THROW THEM ON THE GRILL WHEN YOU ARE GRILLING OUT ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND WALLA YOU HAVE DINNER FOR YOUR FUR KID ALL WEEK — THERE ARE WAYS TO STAY AWAY FROM CHINA JUNK — I GET TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT PEOPLE BUYING THEIR FOOD AND TREATS AT WALMART===ALL THEY SELL IS CHINA PRODUCTS — I HAVE BEEN IN WALMART ” 1 ” TIME IN MY ENTIRE LIFE AND I AM 54 — 55 END OF THIS MONTH — SO LIKE I SAID I GET TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT YOUR PETS GETTING SICK FROM THIS JUNK FOOD WHEN IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE THE BEST CARE POSSIBLE OF YOUR FUR KIDS LET ALONE YOURSELF === SO WHEN ARE YOU ALL GOING TO GET ON THE BAND WAGON AND PUT THESE COMPANIES -O U T O F B U S I N E S S- BY -NOT- BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS AND THEY WILL HAVE TO CHANGE OR GO OUT OF BUSINESS ======= NEED I SAY MORE YOU ARE THE RESPONSIBLE MOM HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SORRY TO BE SO BLUNT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Jenny Bark says:

I forgot to tell you in case any body is making the jerky above, all my cookbooks say they last for a year. Like I said before I keep mine in the ref. just to be safe.

The best treats for little dogs are marrow bones from an organic butcher.

42. GSD MOM says:

Thanks you guys for the helpful information. To Ms. Blunt: good post..we are all responsible for taking care of our furry critters. TONS of people do not realize what goes in to the commercial pet foods. GROSS! The chicken breast jerky recipe is a good one!!!!! YES! I make my own treats using my own dairy goats milk. My dogs go nuts over my bones…..plus they love their goats…:o) Hmmmmm…goats meat…NOT, just kidding. They are my other “kids”. (me bad)

43. nora says:

Linda, you took the words out of my mouth. I am also sick of people continuing to buy commercial pet food and then act surprised when yet another one comes up poisoning pets. Not to mention the pets who’s owners are too stupid, lazy and selfish to even know (or acknowlege) to this day that the tainted products are out there right now and their animals suffering and dying will go UNREPORTED. My home cooking since March has done amazing things for our 4 dogs aged 6mo to 13 years. I have actualy saved money by being creative and caring for my fur kids with a couple cook books for ideas and some recipies and nutritional advice printed off from online on what chemicals to avoid and what dogs need to thrive and what foods have those nutrients.

dogaware.com has treat recipes and food information. The treat recipes aren’t difficult or time consuming.

Whole Dog Journal did a series on home feeding, with basic recipes.

Whole Dog requires a subscription. I may not agree with every article but at least they went into depth as far as how to feed your dog, whether raw, home cooked or commercial raw. Sensible advice, anyway.

Some online sources for REAL FOOD:

Meat & Treats:

Meats:

Make Your Own Cat Food:

46. Leigh-Ann says:

I go through bags and bags of the Smokehouse dried chicken chips because they’re so inexpensive. I run a small rescue and I need to feed at least 15 cats, 6 parrots, 2 very large dogs, and 2 small dogs each day, and almost all my expenses are paid out of my own pocket. I’ve already started to feed the cats mostly homemade food (Wild Kitty), and I supplement Solid Gold Holistique kibble with fresh chicken and bones for the dogs, but you know, I just don’t always have the time or the money to be feeding every single animal a homemade, human-grade food diet. I wish I did, because I see that the animals thrive on them, but it’s just not always possible. Not all pet owners buy inexpensive treats and food out of ignorance — for some of us it’s a calculated risk and we’re just doing the best we can. I know the animals in my care still fare better than if they were at my city’s animal shelter eating donated kibble.

In two weeks, one of my foster cats will have eye surgery that I’ll pay for, and it will cost $500. I also have two spays and one neuter to get done before the end of the month, at a cost of $100 each. And I’ve got a 12 year old GSD who needs her annual wellness checkup, at a cost of $400. If I sometimes have to buy dried chicken jerky at Petsmart to give the animals a treat, or to use during training, I just can’t let myself feel guilty about it. I do the best I can.

ats-ap_business12sep16,0,1367537.story

More news from China.

Pet owners are not the problem. The problem is the FDA and the Bush administration and the companies who assume no responsibility for what they sell. In the old days, pre-Republican destruction of our government, if a company sold poison or defective products it would go out of business or the executives would go to jail. Under the current regime, there is no accountability for anything and the only thing that matters is white men making money. They don’t care if your pet dies, they don’t even care if your child dies from lead poisoning. As long as the stock price doesn’t fall nobody really cares. Too bad Halliburton doesn’t sell pet food and toys, maybe then this would be news.

49. purringfur says:

I think this was the news from China to which Anonymous was referring:

Highlights:

Tainted leukemia drugs from China recalled (tainted with anti-cancer drug, vincristine)

China rejects ractopamine-laced pork from U.S. & Canada (hormone makes meat lean/promotes growth/ drug banned in China & most other countries)

China also banned U.S. meats contaminated with additives, salmonella, & vet drugs.

50. Pukanuba says:

Jenny: That recipe for chicken jerky sounds yummy. Do you have any idea how much a dehydrator would cost? I don’t know of anyone who has one & I really would like to make some dried meat treats for my dog.

Anyone know?????? Where do you purchase them?

There are local pet food groups in some communities which get together once a week and make up batches of food (both raw and cooked) and treats. One person brings the chicken, one person - liver, another - hearts and gizzards, etc.

The “pet foodies” make up enough for themselves, and some “extra” to share with other pet owners who would like to use REAL FOOD, but who aren’t able to do so (for lots of good reasons). One of my friends drops off “samples” at her vets office. LOL. Just to get him accustomed to the idea: “we CAN do this.”

There are also “food clubs” (one’s in Tennessee) where pet owners get together and place bulk orders with online pet meat companies. Some online companies may accept one order from the group, but will ship to individual members.

Other ideas:

If you know a retired person who likes to cook, you could supply the ingredients (or provide the cash), and get the food made for you.

Also, for those of you who ARE retired, there’re income opportunites here. Print out some fliers. Place them around town, and with your local vets. A friend of mine does this and she’s been swamped with requests.

Getting off the commerial stuff really IS a good idea, and I don’t believe we’ve seen the end of the recalls. To me, this feels like “Pet Food Recall, Phase 2″.

There are LOTS of ways to get the cannon up the hill.

52. m&n says:

i would look at any of the treats out their that say product of china, and DO NOT PURCHASE THEM

Pukanuba says:
    September 16th, 2007 at 9:03 am

try american harvest (i think that’s the brand!) i paid around 100 for mine, but that may have included the extra trays. it’s been a few years, so my memory is fuzzy!

you can google for it and should be able to buy one online or find a local retailer.

Forgot to add to the above links:

The owner of Feline’s Pride wanted an alternative to commercial food, so he started his own company. He feeds the food to his cats.

He kindly allowed Anne to post a partial nutritional analysis on her website:

Here’s a link to a forum thread for home made cat food recipes:

The information posted by this dear lady is helping many pet owners.

Kaffe and Cato are two VERY lucky kitties!

56. Jenny Bark says:

Purring Fur,I bought my dehydrator at Amizon. I bought a little better one because i didn’t want to spend time rotating trays & big enough to do a lot at a time because I have a large garden. I didn’t buy the best or biggest thou. I have a Nesco/American Harvest, model # FD75Pr. I paid somewhere around $40.00. It’s funny because after I ordered the price dropped $10.00 & they gave me the cheaper price & I had free shipping.
    A different dehydrator use to be a big tv seller, so a lot of people have them proberly sitting in their cupboard or atic so people who don’t have the money it would pay to ask around.
    Purring Fur I buy a whole turkey & use the parts I can for jerky & then ground the rest for my babies & us. I grind the turkey with my kitchen Aid. I alway make a lot at a time because I don’t have the time to play around. Good luck, let me know how it goes. I like making everything I can because I feel like it gives me a little power over pfi. P.S. keep the jerky in baggies or seal a meal so they don’t pick up moister or oders from the freg.

57. Jenny Bark says:

Purring Fur, “Mary Bell’s complete dehydrator cookbook imo is really a good one. You have to be careful thou because a lot of recipes call for onion, garlic or soy sauce. I am still pretty new at dehydratoring so I learned about being safe from her. I am using my dehydrator a lot so I keep mine out.

Jenny Bark,

I sent you a PM. Did you get it? Leave Itchmo and go to your email. Click on the link, and it will take you back to your personal messages in Itchmo. There’s a box called “Messages” on the left side of your screen (not the tabs at the top). In the “Messages” box, click “new message”.

The new message screen will appear. If you want to respond click the “reply” button and a dialog box will appear. From there, it’s just like posting a comment.

Be sure to click “save a copy in my outbox” so you can find it later.

Then click the “send” button.

Hope this helps.

59. Beth says:

Jenny–I went to Amazon looking at the dehydrators. I found the model Nesco/American Harvest # FD75PR. It was $60.82. How do you think I can get your price?

60. Jenny Bark says:

Beth, I don’t know. I ordered mine a few months back. When I ordered it I just put it in my shopping cart & didn’t order to the next day. Wanted to check with my husband to see if he wanted anything to save on shipping. The next night I went to finish my order & the price was changed, maybe the same thing will happen to you or the price went up, just don’t know. I would try holding the order for a day & see if the same thing happens to you, if not the price just went up. Wish you luck.

61. MarySmith says:

I just googled ‘home made jerky’

And the first page gave lots of info:

At this page there are several links, too.

No reason that receipts for wild game could not be re-worked for beef or chicken!

62. Jenny Bark says:

5CatMom, I’m sorry I can’t get to your pm, believe it or not I even have 3 credits on the computer. I needed to learn for work at the church & at home. I never blogged until Itchmo & only used e-mail for sending & receiving. I’m sorry I so dumb & proberly a pain in you know what. All your instructions sound great & easly but I can’t seem to get the link from my email page. Maybe I don’t have it set up right, I’ll try to get some help this week. I can’t even think of taking a course until winter, not enough time right now.
    Thanks a lot for all your help, I put my email on the other thread. Thanks also to you I found an email in spam that I really wanted. Thanks again.

63. MarySmith says:

Jenny Bark

Just go to the forums page by clicking on “forums” at the top of this page.

If you are not signed in, do so. Then at the top of the forums page you’ll see:

Home Help Search Profile My Messages Members Logout

Just click on the “My Messages” link and you will see any pm’s that have been sent to you.

64. Symptoms Of Affected Dogs From Jerky Treats Compared To Fanconi Syndrome | Itchmo: News For Dogs & Cats says:

[…] Warning: PetSmart Pulls Smokehouse Chicken Tender Dog Treats […]

65. Pukanuba says:

Thanks for all the info on dehydrators……I did send out a couple of emails to friends of mine that have every gadget available & never use them. If nobody has one they want to sell, then I’ll go back to the internet. I found one on the Sears website that was around $45…..don’t want to spend a lot because I doubt I’ll ever use it for anything other than chicken strips for the pooch. I assume you get some kind of book with it telling you how to make different things……don’t have a clue how to use one.

I’m just really sad that China doesn’t seem to care who they poison & it’s obvious that those sectors of our Gov’t that are there to protect us seem to care even less whether or not we croak from poisoned food. This is something that’s more like a very bad dream that I can’t seem to wake up from……it can’t possibly be happening in this great country of ours…….The United States of Chinica.

66. Jenny Bark says:

5CatMom & Mary Smith, Thanks for all the help, I think I got it now. Your both are wonderful.

Mary Smith, I like your links.

Pukanuba, if you don’t find one use an oven & see if you like it. Mary Smith has really good links above or use my recipe.

67. Curtis says:

PetSmart carries a real meat treat called Carvers (formerly Chew Eez Carvers) that my golden doodle absolutely loves. They’re over 80% real meat, they come in beef and chicken flavors and you can find them at your local PetSmart. These might be a great option for anyone looking for a replacement to the Smokehouse treats. Oh, and Carvers are manufactured by Purina here in the USA…which is nice.

68. Sue says:

Saw the mention of Feline’s Pride. It is a great product for those who can’t make their own diet up. I’ve been feeding my Maine Coons, Diesel and Charlie Girl, Feline’s Pride for a year now. The other great benefit is their teeth. at her annual checkup in Aug 2006, the vet mentioned that Charlie would most likely need her teeth cleaned the next time she was in. Nothing mentioned at this year’s checkup. We’ve also had a number of vets that the cat’s have met when they’re out and about comment on how great their teeth and gums look. Both cats are registered animal therapy cats with the Delta Society. They make hospital visits in the Miami/Ft. Laudedale area, so its important that they stay healthy. I have a link for Feline’s Pride on their part of my website: http://www.smenig.com/mascots.html

We feed our Dobe puppy a part raw diet too - Nature’s Variety (frozen). I can get that locally at some of the specialty pet food shops. The formula is more appropriate for dogs even though they market it for dogs and cats. We’ve purchased the Smokehouse treats in the past (missed the fine print about made in China) and luckily had no problems. Won’t be giving her those treats…

Any of the canned foods we use are the holistic/organic types. The main reason we even use them is if our raw supply was ever interrupted due to a major storm (it is south Florida), we wouldn’t want to have any major stomach upsets from a sudden diet change.

69. FDA Continues To Investigate Chicken Jerky Pet Treats | Itchmo: News For Dogs & Cats says:

[…] called.Sign up for our daily email digest or subscribe in a RSS reader.It’s been a week since PetSmart pulled various Smokehouse brand chicken and duck pet treats off of their shelves. And it’s been almost two months since […]

70. PetSmart Pulls Pet N’ Shape Chik ‘N Rings Dog Treats From Shelves | Itchmo: News For Dogs & Cats says:

[…] comes to you when called.Sign up for our daily email digest or subscribe in a RSS reader.Last week, PetSmart pulled various Smokehouse brand chicken and duck dog treats from their shelves as a precautionary measure. The company pulled these treats in response to […]

71. Deanna Toomey says:

My dog who is a Shih_tzu became sick from Smokehouse chicken breast,also my daughters dog,they have not been able to eat in 4 days now,should I take her to her vets? please let me know….Deanna Toomey

72. BorderCollieMom says:

I have read a lot of the posts and find them very informative, thank you. I did not see that anyone mentioned what TYPE of raw products they are buying to dehydrate. (I got my dehydrator at a yard sale for $5). There has been much talk for a bunch of years about the amount of additives (hormones and other junk) found in meat and poultry and fish that humans consume. So, unless you are purchasing nothing but certified organic products for your pets and yourself, you are still getting nasty chemicals in the food. (even with the organic designation, some people feel that we still are not safe from all these things.) Even farm animals from the good old USA are still fed crappy food with loads of additives. It is hard to be truly safe unless you grow it yourself.

73. J.K. says:

Everybody,

I can confirm that our 5-year old beagle and 2-year old beagle mix became violently ill after eating 1 (ONE!) Smokehouse brand 8-oz Chicken Tender each, from a bag purchased at an H.E.B. in Austin, Texas in mid-August (for those of you not within Central Texas, H.E.B. is a regional grocery store chain that serves mostly South and Central Texas).

Our dogs are about 40 lbs each and are generally in good health, but within 30 minutes of being fed one treat each, both began vomiting a mix of chewed and partially digested Chicken Tender (noticeable immediately because of color and texture), along with a huge quantity of phlegm. This happened before we had seen the news reports about the Walmart voluntary recall of Waggin’ Train chicken treats.

Having attempted to navigate the incomprehensible website maintained by whatever shell corporation uses Smokehouse as a brand name, I strongly suspect that the brand name is irrelevant and meant only to throw people off the scent.

Dried chicken breasts from China are (I suspect) a waste by-product of massive chicken kills following bird flu and other avian pandemics in central China, probably get routed through a small number of more-or-less anonymous importers, and then get packaged by a bunch of interlocking shell companies that share the same factories, management, and investors.

We had bought several bags (we had turned to the treats after the more general recalls because we foolishly thought that the chicken breasts would be good treats). The chicken breast poisoners played us for chumps. Unfortunately, we didn’t save any of the bags, but we did notify the store manager of the Waggin’ Train disaster, and of the likelihood that Smokehouse and Waggin’ Train share the same supplier or suppliers.

Luckily, our dogs seem to be doing okay, and now get cheese cubes, carrots, blueberries, and fresh meat treats.

74. Dennis says:

As of this evening, October 6, 2007, the Petsmart store in Overland Park Kansas has Smokehouse dog treats on the shelves. They have multiple types, and are very well stocked on more than one shelf.

It appears their internal communications with stores and between them and the AVMA may be lacking.

75. Amazing Cooking Guide says:

Amazing Cooking Guide

I couldn’t understand some parts of this article, but it sounds interesting

76. Shelly says:

11/9/07 I tried to purchase Smoke House treats at a H.E.B store in San antonio Texas (marbach ) Product still on the shelves, Store director told me I could not buy I guess at first I was mad , Now Iam glad. Am looking into a dehydrator now and will make my dog treats now on.

77. A.JOHNSON says:

My son’s 7 year old cocker spaniel has gotten very sick this past week, with all of the same symptoms described by the others. The vet could not find what was wrong with him, but
    think he was poisoned. He did not get the chicken treats, but he did get Dentleys chew-rite sticks. Has anyone had any trouble with this product?? We noticed that other chew treats had been re-called. We’re not sure of how much kidney damage has been done, he has been in intensive care all week, but he’s starting to do a little better and may be able to come home. Thanks Ruth

78. Bob says:

Hi, Everyone,

I’m a pet food supplier from China. I have paid much attention to the pet food recall affair. And I want to expatiate something that you didnt knwo.

As far as I know, All our products exported to USA and Canada is nautral chicken meat without any additive and artificial preservative. so it’s health food. even human being can eat it. And my boss kept feed his dog with our products.

you can take it easy, it’s impossible to export any bird flu infected chicken in China. If you come to China occasionly, you’ll find how much China government stress on FOOD Safety.

And you FDA testing report also said that the dog’s illness is not definately caused by Chicken jerky.

Anybody want to chat me about pet food, can communicate with my by MSN: pengbomu@hotmail.com, or my skype: pengbomu.

I can send you picture of our goods, and samples if you need.

You’ll find what I said it’s true.

79. GilaRiverRider says:

This article is dated. Not knowing about this hysteria, I recently purchased and fed two bags of Smokehouse Duck & Sweet Potato treats to my 3 companions - no harmful event occured -

I’m wondering if all the China fear mongering is just hysteria … my crew lived through the dog food scare too.

How many tons of pet food comes from China and how many millions of animals here eat it - and what did we have, less than 50 cases of illness and less than a dozen cases which were fatal? And how many actual deaths were 100% verifed as being caused by pet food from China?

Perspective folks, not hysteria.

80. Ruth says:

My Yorkie became very ill over a two-day period. I had fed her Smokehouse chicken tenders for a year, but there must have been a bad batch. Her symptoms were not attributable to any other cause. It took eight days of IV fluids, numerous blood tests and care to get her to a point where she could come home. Her kidneys have been damaged, I don’t know to what extent at this time, and she will most likely be on a special diet for her remaining years (she’s 6 now). She’s alive, but only because my vet had lost another dog to the same symptoms two weeks prior and acted immediately and aggresively. I’m sure it’s not everything from China, but all products should be tested regularly, not just when there is a problem. At $10 for a one-lb bag, that’s almost four times what I pay per pound for the chicken breast I eat, it should all be tested regularly. I will not feed my dog anything that isn’t made in the USA completely ever again. We have testing here that is unmatched. There’s a reason some US manufacturers outsource their work - it costs them less because there are not the same restrictions. I’ve learned a $5000 lesson - but I’ve learned it well.

81. crystal says:

I have 3 large German Shepherds. We have fed them the smoke house chicken treats sense they have been released. when these tenders were recalled in aug we stopped giving them to our dogs as we bought them at pets mart. Pets mart then told us the items were tested and that they are safe for the dogs to eat. we gave our dogs the treats only to notice that one was throwing up. right after that she became latargic and could’nt even walk. she collasped in the floor and could’nt move. She had shallow breathing. we had to roll her over on a blanket and carry her to the car to rush her to the emergency vet. many test were run dr said her liver enzymes were out the roof. she was dehyrated, she had pancritis which he said comes from alot of fat. the bag reads on these tenders low fat. She was held over 244 ours put on an iv and given meds. this game out to $687.00. Now she is home we are seeing that she is peeing on herself and not even knowing. which she has always been potty trained and never has had an accident in the house. We are waiting on the vet to get back with us on that. I called the customer support center for pets mart as I was directed by our local store. The lady i spoke with was dummer than a box of rocks. I explained to the lady what was going on and she told me well the best thing i can tell you is not to buy the product well duh. I said look My problem is that these items are still on the self and they need to be pulled as I do not want this to happen to any more dogs. she took my information and said she would pass it on. I will not rest until these items are pulled off the shelf. I know china likes to eat dogs but don’t try to kill ours.

82. N. Craighill says:

I was able to buy the Smokehouse brand from Petco on 10/3, the Duck Breast version. Two of my beagles got extremely dehydrated, similar to the other reports, too weak to even stand so we rushed them to the emergency on two different occasions. Not until the second dog got sick did the Vet even hear about the chicken tender scare. Now after $2,000+ vet bills, I have two weak dogs with possible kidney damage that won’t live a full life. I’m very angry and want to know when we are going to stop telling these sad stories and do something about it? How come this story broke in August/September but we still have sick dogs in November? Where is the website that is keeping track of all these cases and comparing the symptoms? Let’s get organized. Maybe get a lawyer.

I found a store in VA that makes their own dog treats and my dogs just love them. I stopped with all this Chinese treats because you just can’t trust them and cheap isn’t the way to go for my dogs. Go to www.BeccasBarkery.com. My dogs won’t eat anything else now.

84. Henry says:

I like to buy food and supplies fro my pets at most discounted prices from PetsMart store…..!

85. Dog Treat Recipes. | 7Wins.eu says:

[…] real butter ? Blog Archive ? something for themDog Treat Recipes | ItsaDogsLifeBlog.comSmokehouse Brand Dog Treats Pulled From PetSmart Shelves | Itchmo: News For Dogs & Cats Tags dog food recipe dog food dog treat dog toy dog training dog biscuit dog pet This product […]

86. Wellness Dog Food | Dog Food Recipes » Blog Archive » CNN.com - Owners: Dog treats killed our pets - Feb 15, 2006 (Dog Treats) says:

[…] Smokehouse Brand Dog Treats Pulled From PetSmart Shelves | Itchmo … […]

87. Karen says:

I was ran across your blog today. I wanted to share a wonderful dog food I found a few months back. My dog just loves it. The food is made with all human grade ingredients. It is also made in the U.S. and Eco-Friendly. I have personally tasted this food and it is tasty. I must say I liked it. More importantly my dog loves it. I am sharing this information because it took me a long time to find a great food for my dog. It is called Pet Bistro www.petbistro.us
    K.

88. best canned cat foods available in canada says:

[…] From PetSmart Shelves | Itchmo: …Any of the canned foods we use are the holistic/organic types.http://www.itchmo.com/smokehouse-brand-dog-treats-pulled-from-petsmart-shelves-2869Natural pet food, grain free cat food, grain free dog food …DRY & canned GRAIN-FREE DOG & […]

89. mark says:

Pet Bistro - Has anyone tried this new Pet Bistro everyone is raving about? We recently bought pet bistro and our dogs went crazy. I have never seen them love a food as much as this one. I read where Karen had tasted it, and I must say you are right this food has a great flavor. I hope this company makes treats soon.
    Mark