Smokehouse Brand Dog Treats Pulled From PetSmart Shelves

Smokehouse BrandAs of this morning, PetSmart has pulled various Smokehouse Brand dog treats off of their shelves. There have been reports of pets becoming ill after eating the treats, and as a precaution, PetSmart has removed the products. There has been no formal recall as of yet.

Here is what the PetSmart corporate office released to the PetSmart stores:

“Today the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) issued a media alert warning some treat products from China may be a potential threat to pets due to ’several complaints from pet owners and veterinarians of illness in dogs.’ No deaths have been reported at this time. The symptoms of pets reported sick were vomiting, lethargy and anorexia. To date, testing by the FDA and PetSmart Techinical Services has ruled out melamine contamination that might be making pets sick.

For now, we’re going to take the precautionary measure to pull this product from the shelves and contain it in the backroom. Our experts will continue to monitor the situation, analyze samples for a variety of possible problems and ask the vendor to test additonal product. Because of the relatively small number of complaints at this point, we’re not issuing a recall. We’ll provide timely updates as more information becomes available.”

Here is the SKU list of the Smokehouse Brand dog treats that have been pulled off of PetSmart shelves:

7856525052 5108696 Chicken Chips 1lb.
7856525053 5108692 Chicken Chips 8oz.
7856525092 5108693 Chicken Poppers 8oz.
7856525093 5108698 Chicken Poppers 1lb.
7856525134 5108691 Chicken Tenders 8oz.
7856525137 5126536 Chicken Breast Tender Snacks 1lb.
7856525138 5126535 Chicken Tenders 2lb.
7856584255 5126702 Duck Breast Tenders 8oz.
7856584256 5126534 Duck Breast Tenders 1lb.
7856584257 5126532 Duck Chips 1lb.
7856584258 5126531 Duck and Sweet Potato 1lb.
7856585808 5108695 Chicken Tenders 1lb.

89 Responses to “Smokehouse Brand Dog Treats Pulled From PetSmart Shelves”

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

1. Pet Connection Blog » Pet treats from China pulled from shelves after AVMA issues warning says:

[…] maybe we haven’t learned so much after all, since Itchmo is reporting that Petsmart has issued an internal memo pulling the treats, with no mention of it on the company Web site. Hey, it’s not as if you […]

ACVIM (American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine) Press Release on the Chinese-made Jerky Treats.

3. Heather says:

I have purchased these this past year.I liked that they are dehydrated chicken only, no other ingredients.Last visit I got the turkey treats because they are made in the US. Funny how something ingredient labeled simply as chicken could be a problem! I’m not buying any food product from China, for me or my dog!

4. Donnie says:

oopsie. Guess Petsmart didnt learn.

Dont know why Petco/Petsmart/Pet Supplies Plus and all the independents dont pull all food made in Asia?

That’s odd. Have any Itchmo folks reported problems with these treats?

Looks like the FDA found the toxin in Bestros Chicken Jerky Strips after all.

How long until the next recall?

6. javakitty says:

It’s time to wake up and “get it”!! Why are we still buying food products that come from China? As consumers, are we THAT stupid!!!! Come on, you pay pennies for products and you get junk! There are American made chicken strips, but you are going to pay more for them. So make your choice consumers. Pay for quality, or go to the big boxes and pay for junk. Read lables. Be willing to pay for American made. It is not the ultimate answer because American made has some problems, but you sure have a better chance of having better quality. China products are junk.

7. Rocky says:

Heather,

Maybe that means the BAG was made in the US. It’s really hard to stay current on FDA jargon.

Or maybe “Made in the US” has been expanded to include “those things that are made in China”.

When “non-organic” becomes “organic”, and when toxins are designated as safe eating for animals and humans, anything is within the realm of possibility.

8. Linda says:

Has anyone heard anymore about Canidae dry food being contaminated with acetaminophin?

9. Lesliek says:

Anybody else notice this came out on Friday ?

10. Miki Peltier says:

Well I NEVER buy any treats for my dog from China…after my other dog died in March from the d### pet food.

There are only two dog treats at Petsmart that I can find that are made here in the USA and I only buy those two and my dog is happy and healthy. I educate anyone standing next to me in that aisle.

11. Miki Peltier says:

One has to be careful of the wording on packages.
    MADE IN USA VS PACKAGED IN THE USA.

It seems to be that the manufacturers love to think we are idiots. They slap on the word USA and think we don’t get it.

12. marla briggs says:

I cannot believe so many dog treats are made in China. It is really scary.
    Wall Mart brand chicken treats also had a probem, of course they were made in China.

13. Little Miss Maddi says:

I just had my tiny 3 lb. chihuahua into the vets office because of extreme vomiting, and horrible diarrea including bloody diarrea….Her fecal showed very elevated bacterial levels. This illness started about 8 hours after giving her a Smokehouse Duck Jerky treat from a brand new bag I had just bought at PetsMart. Thank heavens she recovered, and I am lucky she only got one piece. Now, who’s willing to pay my vet bill!!!! PetsMart?….

14. Miki Peltier says:

I am telling everyone - take some time and just start picking up pet treats….read….it will blow your last brain cell. All the crap we have already been thru and the stores are totally stocking their shelves with China crap!!!!!!
    Ya really think retail cares??

15. jj.rover@gmail.com says:

I believe that it should read “Product of the USA” Made in the USA could have products added from other countries.

16. Donnie says:

Remember, treats are treats. They are kinda like candy bars for pets.

17. highnote says:

I agree with jj.rover. Just because something says any more that it is made in the USA really does not mean that the ingredients are from the USA. After all the rice protein and wheat gluten sure did not come from here. So many other things that are in the pet treats, etc. may come from a foreign country.
    It is the same with our food. If it says made in the USA it does not mean that all the ingredients come from here. I have found that lately on our food they are saying where some of the other things come from or they are saying all ingredients from USA.
    Too bad they do not do this with our pet food and treats.
    We really should know where ingredients come from that we are buying.

18. Dogster For The Love of Dog Blog » Archive » Itchmo Reports PetSmart Pulling Smokehouse Brand Treats Off Shelves says:

[…] Itchmo Blog is reporting that PetSmart has sent out a notice to their stores to pull some Smokehouse Dog Treats off the shelves due to some dogs being made sick by them. I haven’t seen the memo but if you have any Smokehouse treats it would be a good idea to hold them back and not give them to your furbabies until we hear more. […]

Please read related article on this site for more detailed information about
    blood chemistry results common to reports:

20. Pukanuba says:

Heather: What brand are those turkey treats made in the USA? I have been to a ton of pet stores & have searched for any chicken or duck jerky made here & everything is made in China. Where did you purchase them? Just curious because my dog loves that jerky & I won’t buy anything made in China…….nada, zip, zilch. Threw out everything in my house that was made in China…….ALL her treats went in the trash.

Read the associated story and note the chemistry.

So there’s some sort of secret clan bend on bilking pet food companies out of
    untold dollars by poisoning their own pets, right? How else could we explain
    it…..

22. Nell Liquorman says:

I have truly believed from the very first report on poisoned pet food, that this is the tip of a huge iceberg of problems. There are probably many undetected things happening in every segment of the food supply, and it may be months or years before they are identified. All poisons do not kill immediately. Toxins accumulate over time in the liver and other vital organs. Country of origin for every ingredient of every product in our market place needs to be on the label, if we want to be safe. If the label on trail mix sold by Sam’s Club can clearly state the country of origin for every fruit and nut in the bag, there is no reason not to know where every morsel that we eat has been. So far, I have seen nothing good come from American Corporations having their goods made in other countries, specifically Communist China. The quality of goods that were made in the USA were superior to any imports. They only reason for having goods made offshore is for cheaper raw materials and cheaper labor. Corporate greed has de-industrialized our nation and killed many of our pets. It is time to take a stand. Try to buy no products made in China. If you must, then wait until they are on sale or show up in a outlet store. This way the corporation does not make a big enough profit to keep offshoring jobs. There is a pet food company that put the country of origin over by it’s trade mark, well away from the list of ingredients, so read the label completely to avoid pet foods from other countries!

The official poop [’scuse the pun] on “Made in the USA”:

“According to the Federal Trade Commission, “Made in USA” means that “all or virtually all” the product has been made in America. That is, all significant parts, processing and labor that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. Products should not contain any — or only negligible — foreign content. The FTC’s Enforcement Policy Statement and its business guide, Complying with the Made in USA Standard, spell out the details of the standard, with examples of situations when domestic origin claims would be accurate and when they would be inappropriate. See ftc.gov/os/statutes/usajump.htm for more information”.

I now need to find the US Gov’s definition for “all or virtually all”.

Does that mean 99.9%, or 50.9%???????

Be careful out there. Government lexicographers are VERY CREATIVE.

24. purringfur says:

Everyone, please, please cook some chicken breasts or liver for your pets, cut it into bite-size pieces, and freeze it. When it’s about 15 minutes before treat time, just pull a piece out to thaw and feed your pets.

Please do not take chances on poisoning your pet for the sake of convenience. Chicken breasts sell for as little as $2.00/lb. on sale up to $5.00/lb. in some areas. The pre-packaged chicken treats are over $3.00 for 12 oz. Would you rather know something is safer to feed your pets, or would you rather pay a $1,000+ vet bill and have a pet with damage to its organs? We cannot take chances any longer.

As someone above mentioned, this is just an inkling of what information is going to come out, and our pets are the ones paying visibly right now. We’re next. Humans take longer to be poisoned or to have their organs damaged. Just watch for the upswing in more human diseases and damage to follow, which “experts” will not clearly be able to attribute to a known source. It will take months and years (maybe decades) to trace patterns in human illness, and knowing how adept our agencies were from the pet food poisonings, months and years to investigate, research, and divulge the findings, IF THEY ARE EVER REVEALED! Big business is in control, and profit is the bottom line.

Please do this for your pet or buy US-grown and produced treats only. Do the same for your families.

25. javakitty says:

Fpr Mike — yes there are a number of products out there (chicken strips) made in the USA. Go to a small mom and pop owned pet store and ask them questions. If they don’t have any answers, go to the next little shop. I own a small mom and pop store. I have american made guaranteed chicken strips in my store. I compete with the big box. The big box cannot get on the phone and call their suppliers and manufacturers and ask the hard questsions. I can and DO! I have been able to get rid of anything in the pet food and treat section that has connections to CHina! It has taken hundreds of my hours of phone calls and research to get this accomplished, but it is done! The big box cannot and will not go to the trouble to do this. Stop supporting your big box stores and Wally Worlds, Targets, etc… They do not have the incentive to do “the right thing”. They are not concerned with the individual customer. As a small business owner, I AM! Each customer that I can get and keep helps keep my family fed and clothed. So think outside the “box” — big box store, that is. PS I had a customer knock on my store door after closing last night and I let him in. He purchased over $100 worth of my american made chicken strips.

26. Jenny Bark says:

5Catmom & Highnote please read my post on last thread. Jenny

27. javakitty says:

For Purringfur -
    Yes, it is perfectly wonderful to cook your own treats. Good for you. But FYI if other folks want to buy the chicken strips from america, you cannot pay a few dollars a pound. The american made sell for $20 for a 1# plastic jar. It is about the size of a small cookie jar with a screw off lid. Another company that packages them in bags sells for the same amount, but are also american products. So if you are going to buy the chicken strips, you are going to pay for the quality you receive.

28. GSD MOM says:

Anyone heard about Plato Smart Dog Treats/chicken strips? They are made in the USA. www.platosmarttreats.com
    I’m hoping these are ok–and MADE IN THE USA.

29. Pukanuba says:

GSD Mom: I bought the Plato Chicken Treats & they are not like the jerky, not even close. My dog seems to like them but my guess is that she liked the chicken jerky better. It’s just not the same. They are made in the USA. They also have duck & salmon so I bought one of each. I had just thrown out every treat I had in the house when I found they were all from China.

I’ll continue my search for chicken jerky made here but now I’m not even sure those are safe. What if the chicken is from China? Maybe I’m paranoid but my dog has somehow managed to escape serious illness from all this toxic stuff & I’d like to keep it that way. I’m not even sure I trust the “made in USA” on the label these days.

30. mya says:

i almost bought these treats the other day but the packaging said manufactured for and gave a company in the usa. since it didnt say where it was made i put the product back. for me it must say made in usa and be grain free.

31. mya says:

go to wholelifepet.com website all there products are from usa. some are single source ingredients such as duck chicken salmon and its made in a human grade usa facility.

32. Elaine says:

My 2 mini Aussies just love string cheese, really any kind of cheese. Why would I need to buy a treat made anywhere?

One thing to watch for, almost all delivery folks, UPS, FEDEX the gas man, etc. feed a dog treat to make your dog like them, so be sure to let them know you don”t allow treats. You don’t allow your kids to take candy from strangers.

I read ALL labels, avoid “proudly distributed by” products with an American address–what does that tell you? I only buy those labeled “product of USA”, or from a country that I am confident in their food safety regulations.

It seems that I read in a Canadian article that they were unhappy because their Made in Canada regulations only require that 50% is Canadian. Is that true? I know we have Canadian bloggers on here.

33. GSD MOM says:

Pucanuba—thanks for the info. What about dehydrating your chicken breasts yourself????? What would you tell someone who insists on buying Dogswell Happy Hips that are Made In China????? Yikes.

34. Gloria Picchetti says:

I like to bring pet presents for my friends’ animals for parties or special occasions. I stopped buying treats. G-d forbid if I am ever responsible for hurting a pet!! Instead I buy toys or books about learning tricks.

35. Jenny Bark says:

GSD Mom, recipe from Mary Bell’s dehydrator book.
    Basic Chicken Jerky
    the same recipe can be used to make turkey jerky. A reminder-ALL POULTY MUST BE COOKED before it can be dried into jerky.

1 pound skinlless, boneless chicken breasts, sinew and transparent tissue removed
    1/4 cup olive oil
    juice of 1 lemon
    1 teaspoon crushed garlic (I don’t use this in mine for the dogs)

1. Cut the chicken into 5 inches long, 1 inch wide, and 1/4 inch thick.
    2. In a bag, combine the oil, lemon juice, and garlic, and add chicken. Squeeze out the air in the plastic bag, making sure all the chicken surfaces are covered with marinade, and seal the bag. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
    2. Preheat the oven to 300%F. Remove the chicken from the bag, place in a glass baking dish, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the baking dish, reserving the cooking juice, which can be used as a sauce. Let chicken cool.
    4. Place the baked chicken strips on mesh sheets in the drying trays. Dry for about 6 to 8 hours, depending on the style of dehydrator, until the strips are leathery.
    Makes 4 to 5 ounces.

My dogs love them, even kitty plays around with a small one. I DON”T use the garlic. You can dry them in the oven at 145 F to 180F but it can take up to 24 hours. I have never did them in an oven. If you really want to make them I bet you know someone who has a dehygrator around. I make up a lot at a time. I keep all my meat, chicken & fish jerky in the ref to be safe. It is really not hard at all. Good luck

GSD mom, if you make jerky strips for your pets, maybe share some with your friend and see if that helps nudge her in the right direction. some people are just hesitant to make their own.

37. Jenny Bark says:

GSD Mom, you can eat one of your home made jerky in front of her & ask her if she feels safe eating her’s. It might work the same as it does with me when I get someone to read Ann Martin’s book. Everone but 1 I know has at leasst changed foods. Good luck.

38. Miles'Mama says:

GSD Mom, you could try the Zukes brand Hip Action treats. They are made in the USA and are actually a better bang for your buck considering the daily serving size. They are available in two flavors, Peanut Butter and Beef. My customers who have switched from Dogswell onto these have been quite pleased.

www.zukes.com

39. Linda says:

WHY - WHY - IS ANYONE STILL BUYING ANYTHING FROM CHINA —– I AM A UNION PERSON AND UNION IS GOOD WE BELIEVE USA — AMERICAN ALL THE WAY — WHEN WILL THIS WONDERFUL COUNTRY AND IT’S CITIZENS WAKE UP AND REALIZE — THE ONLY WAY IS U.S.A. — WE HAVE THE FARM LAND TO GROW OUR OWN GRAINS WHY — WHY — DON’T WE USE IT —– NO WONDER WE HAVE SO MUCH CANCER AND OTHER DISEASES WE NEED TO BE LOOKING AT ALL OF THE OUTSOURCING OF PRODUCTS WE CAN MAKE AND GROW IN OUR OWN COUNTRY —– IT’S HARD TO TELL WHAT IS COMING DOWN THE ROAD THAT WE WILL FIND OUT THAT CHINA AND GOD ONLY KNOWS WHO ELSE IS KILLING US AND OUR PETS === My horse eats Oats, Barley, Corn I mix myself. My dogs are on a very good quality food “SOLID GOLD” and the only treats they get is made from their dry kibble or Mom’s home made — If I don’t have time they love baby carrots — we need to watch what we are feeding — we are just asking for trouble to be buying from these MASS PRODUCTION PLANTS—————- I RESCUED A HORSE FROM GOING TO SLAUGHTER - COME TO FIND OUT HE HAD CANCER — SEE WHAT I MEAN — HE WOULD HAVE BEEN IN YOUR DOGS FOOD!!!!!!! I COULD GO ON AND ON ALL DAY AND ALL WEEK ABOUT HOW MUCH WE NEED TO WATCH WHAT WE ARE PUTTING IN OUR MOUTHS AND FEEDING TO OUR “FUR KIDS” I LOVE MY BABIES SO MUCH I’LL DO ANYTHING FOR THEM —– AND —– YOU’LL ALSO SAVE MONEY — JUST THINK HOW MUCH THEY CHARGE FOR THAT JUNK FORM CHINA WHEN YOU COULD SPEND A LITTLE MORE FOR THEIR KIBBLE AND CUT OUT THE TREATS — OR — BETTER YET BUY 7 EXTRA CHICKEN BREASTS — THROW THEM ON THE GRILL WHEN YOU ARE GRILLING OUT ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND WALLA YOU HAVE DINNER FOR YOUR FUR KID ALL WEEK — THERE ARE WAYS TO STAY AWAY FROM CHINA JUNK — I GET TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT PEOPLE BUYING THEIR FOOD AND TREATS AT WALMART===ALL THEY SELL IS CHINA PRODUCTS — I HAVE BEEN IN WALMART ” 1 ” TIME IN MY ENTIRE LIFE AND I AM 54 — 55 END OF THIS MONTH — SO LIKE I SAID I GET TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT YOUR PETS GETTING SICK FROM THIS JUNK FOOD WHEN IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE THE BEST CARE POSSIBLE OF YOUR FUR KIDS LET ALONE YOURSELF === SO WHEN ARE YOU ALL GOING TO GET ON THE BAND WAGON AND PUT THESE COMPANIES -O U T O F B U S I N E S S- BY -NOT- BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS AND THEY WILL HAVE TO CHANGE OR GO OUT OF BUSINESS ======= NEED I SAY MORE YOU ARE THE RESPONSIBLE MOM HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SORRY TO BE SO BLUNT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Jenny Bark says:

I forgot to tell you in case any body is making the jerky above, all my cookbooks say they last for a year. Like I said before I keep mine in the ref. just to be safe.

The best treats for little dogs are marrow bones from an organic butcher.

42. GSD MOM says:

Thanks you guys for the helpful information. To Ms. Blunt: good post..we are all responsible for taking care of our furry critters. TONS of people do not realize what goes in to the commercial pet foods. GROSS! The chicken breast jerky recipe is a good one!!!!! YES! I make my own treats using my own dairy goats milk. My dogs go nuts over my bones…..plus they love their goats…:o) Hmmmmm…goats meat…NOT, just kidding. They are my other “kids”. (me bad)

43. nora says:

Linda, you took the words out of my mouth. I am also sick of people continuing to buy commercial pet food and then act surprised when yet another one comes up poisoning pets. Not to mention the pets who’s owners are too stupid, lazy and selfish to even know (or acknowlege) to this day that the tainted products are out there right now and their animals suffering and dying will go UNREPORTED. My home cooking since March has done amazing things for our 4 dogs aged 6mo to 13 years. I have actualy saved money by being creative and caring for my fur kids with a couple cook books for ideas and some recipies and nutritional advice printed off from online on what chemicals to avoid and what dogs need to thrive and what foods have those nutrients.

dogaware.com has treat recipes and food information. The treat recipes aren’t difficult or time consuming.

Whole Dog Journal did a series on home feeding, with basic recipes.

Whole Dog requires a subscription. I may not agree with every article but at least they went into depth as far as how to feed your dog, whether raw, home cooked or commercial raw. Sensible advice, anyway.

Some online sources for REAL FOOD:

Meat & Treats:

Meats:

Make Your Own Cat Food:

46. Leigh-Ann says:

I go through bags and bags of the Smokehouse dried chicken chips because they’re so inexpensive. I run a small rescue and I need to feed at least 15 cats, 6 parrots, 2 very large dogs, and 2 small dogs each day, and almost all my expenses are paid out of my own pocket. I’ve already started to feed the cats mostly homemade food (Wild Kitty), and I supplement Solid Gold Holistique kibble with fresh chicken and bones for the dogs, but you know, I just don’t always have the time or the money to be feeding every single animal a homemade, human-grade food diet. I wish I did, because I see that the animals thrive on them, but it’s just not always possible. Not all pet owners buy inexpensive treats and food out of ignorance — for some of us it’s a calculated risk and we’re just doing the best we can. I know the animals in my care still fare better than if they were at my city’s animal shelter eating donated kibble.

In two weeks, one of my foster cats will have eye surgery that I’ll pay for, and it will cost $500. I also have two spays and one neuter to get done before the end of the month, at a cost of $100 each. And I’ve got a 12 year old GSD who needs her annual wellness checkup, at a cost of $400. If I sometimes have to buy dried chicken jerky at Petsmart to give the animals a treat, or to use during training, I just can’t let myself feel guilty about it. I do the best I can.

ats-ap_business12sep16,0,1367537.story

More news from China.

Pet owners are not the problem. The problem is the FDA and the Bush administration and the companies who assume no responsibility for what they sell. In the old days, pre-Republican destruction of our government, if a company sold poison or defective products it would go out of business or the executives would go to jail. Under the current regime, there is no accountability for anything and the only thing that matters is white men making money. They don’t care if your pet dies, they don’t even care if your child dies from lead poisoning. As long as the stock price doesn’t fall nobody really cares. Too bad Halliburton doesn’t sell pet food and toys, maybe then this would be news.

49. purringfur says:

I think this was the news from China to which Anonymous was referring:

Highlights:

Tainted leukemia drugs from China recalled (tainted with anti-cancer drug, vincristine)

China rejects ractopamine-laced pork from U.S. & Canada (hormone makes meat lean/promotes growth/ drug banned in China & most other countries)

China also banned U.S. meats contaminated with additives, salmonella, & vet drugs.

50. Pukanuba says:

Jenny: That recipe for chicken jerky sounds yummy. Do you have any idea how much a dehydrator would cost? I don’t know of anyone who has one & I really would like to make some dried meat treats for my dog.

Anyone know?????? Where do you purchase them?

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All