Here is a summary of today’s FDA Press Conference:
- FDA’s overall conclusion of the new melamine risk assessment is that there is a very low health risk to humans from low levels of melamine and its compounds in pork, fish and poultry. FDA says that a 130lb adult would have to eat 800 pounds of melamine contaminated food per day to be at a harmful level.
- The FDA says they have a validated test for meat from swine fed melamine contaminated feed so they â€œcan be safely sent for further processing.â€ Melamine does not accumulate in pork but is filtered out of the body by the kidneys, so this means very low risk to humans.
- The fish feed containing melamine is being recalled. The two commercial fish farms that received the feed are being put on hold and are being tested.
- The investigators that went to China have returned and are preparing their reports. The FDA is continuing their investigation. They will not know when the results will be made public.
- FDA states that the melamine pet food issue will be used as an example as why we need a robust animal feed safety system and that all ingredients that go into pet food and animal feed are certified and verified to be safe.
- FDA says that we need to look at imports from all countries and not just China.
(Thanks Pet Connection)