Here is our summary of the press conference: (Transcript available here)
- FDA refuses to give a reason for why a 5th ingredient was redacted. Itchmo broke the news last night.
- Officials are not sure how pets may be affected by protein deficiency. A possibility we mentioned in the Web chat on PetHobbyist.com.
- Tainted fish feed may have gone out to 198 US facilities from 2 possible manufacturers (identified here).
- Bio-accumulation is unknown in fish.
- China was cooperative with visas. The opposite of what was reported.
- But factories were closed down before FDA could get there. Chinese officials did provide samples, but did not have enough authority to prevent closing.
- US is currently stopping and inspecting every vegetable protein concentrate coming from China.
- Number of currently reported pet deaths remains around 4,000, but only about half of all calls have been counted. Will not know an estimated toll until fall.