Tennessee Veterinarian Uses Cruel And Illegal Euthanasia Method

Dog shelterWarning: This story may disturb some readers.

Veterinarian Bill Baber euthanizes animals for the Sumner County Animal Shelter in Gallatin, Tennessee, but the method of how he euthanizes cats and dogs is illegal and cruel and has even been documented on videotape.

Normally, the euthanasia method is made to be as painless as possible. A shot is given to sedate the animal, and then a lethal injection is administered to a vein which leads to the animal’s quiet death.

In the tape, dogs were brought in and Baber lethally injected the animals right into the heart with no sedation. Veterinarians call this method a heart shot, and this method is prohibited by state law from administering it unless the animal is heavily sedated or comatose.

The Sumner County Animal Shelter bans the heart shot which is also known as intracardiac euthansia.

The tape also shows doctors stepping on animals to help control them and then administering the shot. Animals were brought in sometimes as often as once a minute, and in one case, 60 animals were put down in one day.

“It’s so quick-paced. It’s just pop, pop, pop. It’s all about the money,” a trustee for the Sumner County Animal Shelter said.

Baber is paid $9 by the county for each animal he euthanizes. Last year, he was paid more than $22,000 for euthanizing animals.

In response to what he did on the video, Baber didn’t deny what he is doing and said he isn’t doing anything wrong. Although there are euthanasia guidelines set by law for veterinary technicians to follow, it’s unclear if that also applies to veterinarians.

Baber added, “There’s a difference between shelter medicine and veterinary medicine. It ain’t pretty. I do a difficult job to the best of my ability.”

Sumner County Executive Hank Thompson, who hired Baber, said that the county has received previous complaints about Baber and told him to stop.

Thompson said he will continue to employ Baber to euthanize animals for the county.

A Gallatin resident hopes to organize a protest against Baber and wants to present evidence against him to the state veterinary board.

Source: WSMV, WTVF

(Thanks Stefani)

68 Responses to “Tennessee Veterinarian Uses Cruel And Illegal Euthanasia Method”

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

1. G in INdiana says:

This isn’t as bad as some places where they just shoot the dogs and cats.
    Out in many rural counties like mine, there is NO money set aside for animal control. It is a joke. They pay some dirt bag to collect animals when he can “git ’round to it”. then pop a cap in their heads for $5 a whack. Barely pays for ammo.
    I do agree with Baber in that almost 100% of the blame for over population is due to animal owners not spaying and neutering their animals, but that is not what is being highlighted so his argument is just an excuse.
    One thing the community can do is get a recall going to get that dope Thompson out of office ASAP. He is breaking the law and should be brought up on charges as well as that “vet”.

2. catmom5 says:

I don’t care how these animals end up with animal control ~ I do, but that’s not what this is about. This jerk, masquarading as a vet, should have his license removed and not allowed to have contact with any animals for the rest of his life. These poor animals at least deserve to die in a humane and painless manner. And to think that the officials know full good and well what he’s doing and keep doing it! BARBARIC!!!

3. Guthrie says:

Sounds Hitlerian to me. Get that license away from him!

4. sk says:

Quote: “This isn’t as bad as some places where they just shoot the dogs and cats.”

With all due respect, I would rather be shot in the head than forcibly restrained while someone jammed a needle into my heart.

5. Poodl_luver says:

“I do a difficult job to the best of my ability.”

Well, it sounds to me like his ability sucks. He needs to be removed and let a real veterinarian that actually still cares about animals take over his job.
    I agree with Catmom5, they deserve to at the VERY least, die in a humane and the most painless way possible.

While I agree that yes, it is due to irresponsible pet ownership…..
    that does not justify the procedure that this man is using.
    Its still not the animals fault that they are here and have to be euthanized.
    and the animals are the ones paying the ultimate price for ’stupid peoples’ mistakes. Very cruel.

To the Gallatin resident that hopes to organize a protest against Baber and wants to present evidence against him to the state veterinary board.
    Good luck to you, and BLESS YOU for caring and actually trying to do something about the issue.

G in INdiana: I agree with you and I hope that one day in the near future
    that some light is shed on the places that your talking about and actions will be taken. Its horrible I know. I thought of a few places myself when you mentioned that.

6. FrogDogz says:

“But he also said Baber isn’t to blame for this controversy. He said the problem starts with irresponsible pet owners who don’t spay and neuter their animals and dump dogs and cats in rural areas.”

What a piece of self serving crap that statement is. As if it isn’t bad enough that shelters everywhere use that as an excuse to practice volume kill instead of no kill, this dick uses it to excuse Baber for torturing those animals to death.

No one is to blame for this but Baber. No one. To say that every person who had to give up their dog is a partner in his actions is utterly heinous. Sumner County Executive Hank Thompson should be run out of town on a rail for not only excusing, but condoning, Baber’s cruelty.

Why not let him know how you feel? Here’s his contact info:

Sumner County Executive’s Office

R. J. “Hank” Thompson, County Executive
    355 North Belvedere Drive, Room 102
    Gallatin, TN 37066
    Phone: (615) 452-3604
    FAX: (615) 451-6066
    Office Hours: Mon. - Fri., 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Sorry, they don’t seem to have email - but I’m sure they’d appreciate a phone call :)

7. Macushla says:

I called Thompson’s office and of course “he was out.” I was told by an assistant (who sounded like she could care less) that they have corrected the problem. I asked what exactly that meant and she said they were not euthanizing the animals. So I asked long-term what exactly that would mean. She did not have an answer. So keep up the pressure everyone and call. (She said that they had not received many calls about this.)

8. Jenny Bark says:

Ben done at least 3 years, what did they do before? IT IS ALWAYS THE PEOPLES FAULT, never the shelters. The people at the top are just so good & wonderful & of cource never get enough money. What a wonderful time now to ask for more money from the dam! no good people.

Sick of all of it, just going to go & cry some more & love my babies for awhile, but I will call them some time today. Keep on blaming the people.

9. Nora and Rufus says:

This person is a paid executioner and they should all read Nathan Winograd’s “Redemption” for I am under the impression there will be no redemption for any of the people involved in this hideous murder for hire posing as a vet practice, when they meet their maker at the end of the trail. Their old worn out comments of defense of their actions have been proven nothing but lies and excuses to cover their murderous actions and decsions. The numbers are so shocking I wanted to go to Tennesee and carry out some real justice with my bare hands.

10. Stefani says:

We, pet lovers and consumers of veterinary medicine, have GOT TO GET IT THROUGH OUR THICK SKULLS that not all veterinarians are animal lovers as we so naiively assume. While the practices of this organization are extreme, animals are treated callously and cruelly in veterinary hospitals all over the United States every day. Some of the veterinary disciplinary records available on my website, The Toonces Project, would chill your bones to think that could have been your animal. Either they never cared, or they have become so de-sensitized that they no longer do. Worse still, there are some veterinarians who appear to see the profession as a perfect cover for carrying out their sadistic urges. REMEMBER how Jeffrey Dahmer and so many other sadistic killers got started.

The “veterinarian” discussed in this article is to veterinary medicine what Josef Mengele was to human medicine — a sick and sadistic individual who has somehow managed to rationalize incomparable cruelty. Sadly, he is on a spectrum of behavior among veterinarians — a spectrum that may include the vet on your neighborhood block. You may may trust them. They may seem nice. But you don’t really KNOW, do you, what they do and how they behave when they take your pet “in the back” or when you leave your pet there, or when a pet owner chooses not to be present for euthanasia.

I urge everyone to send their support and encouragement to Peg Olea, who said she intends to report him to the State Veterinary Board. This mans license should be yanked.

If you wish to express your feelings to Dr. Mengele, I mean Baber, this is his contact information according to Manta — this was publicly listed so I am not publishing anything that is not already out there.

Baber Bill Dvm
    Address: 301 S Water Ave
    City: Gallatin
    State: TN
    Zip Code: 37066

“Is Your Pet Safe at the Vet?”
    Stefani Olsen, the Toonces Project

P.S.

To read about another winner of the veterinary Mengele award,
    see www.SheridanTruth.com

11. pat says:

Baber added, “There’s a difference between shelter medicine and veterinary medicine.”

This isn’t medicine at all; it’s abuse. This so-called doctor should be prosecuted for crulety to animals.

12. Lynn says:

There are good vets, there are bad vets. Even an oxymoron could figure out which camp this Nazi belongs to.

I, too, would rather be shot in the head than restrained in terror and injected.

And if you think, “Well this happened in Tennessee and I live in Maine,” think again. YOUR pet might have gotten out after a bath, with no ID chip and no dog tag and through some fluke managed to cross Tennessee state lines and landed in a shelter.

Even after the LA county animal control outlawed decompressions chambers they still had a huge roster of animals on the death list. And never once have I ever heard of injecting animals in the heart.

Strip this bas**rd’s license and fire the head of the animal shelter and anyone associated with allowing this method of killing. This is not “euthanasia” and if any veterinarian thinks it is, he deserves to get on the table and have someone do it to him.

Rather than send any communication to this Nazi, I would find out what school of vet medicine he attended and pounce on them like a pack of elephants and demand to know why they graduated someone with this mindset. The schools should take some responsibility.

There is absolutely no reason for this barbaric technique. None.

Stefani, do you know what school this creep graduated from???

13. Lynn says:

Check this out:

14. Lynn says:

This creep made $9.00 an animal for this kind of injection. Can you imagine.

And he claimed that he “wasn’t aware of the proper procedures.”

Come alive, folks, this Nazi also has a veterinary clinic in Gallatin……how does he put down private patients? The Mayor of Gallatin had better take a look at how he runs his private operation.

Barbaric, absolutely barbaric. And to think of all the people who held the animals down……and no one said a word. They are ALL Nazis.

15. Lynn says:

Better check this out:

Do a “find” for “Baber” and read:

“Agreed Order – William E. Baber, D.V.M.

Dr. William Baber, DVM, was not present and was not represented by counsel. Ms. Nicole Armstrong, Assistant General Counsel, represented the State. Pursuant to a settlement agreement reached previously by the Board’s screening panel, Ms. Armstrongpresented an Agreed Order to the Board for ratification. Dr. Welch recused herself. Dr. Baber operated South Water Animal Hospital without a premise permit from July 2000 to October 2004. Dr. Baber was issued a Letter of Reprimand and assessed total civil penalties in the amount of $2,550.00. Dr. Wilhite made a motion, seconded by Dr. Edmonds, to accept theAgreed Order. The motion carried.”

Jeez….does he have a license to practice vet medicine? Anyone ever check???

And then go check this:

Anyone know of a website that lists veterinanians, year license obtained, school of graduation?

Bloggers, please check your own state to see if William Baber obtained his DMV license in your state and report back here. I believe the vet school should also share in some of the shame. Thanks.

16. Lynn says:

I found an excellent website:

If you scroll down one page, there is a listing by state of all veterinary licensing boards where you can do a look up to check license info and complaints and adverse actions taken for a certain vet. I suggest you do it for your own veterinarian.

With respect to Baber, he was licensed in Tennessee and went to Univ of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine in Knoxville and graduated in 1982. Even though this is 25 years ago, this university deserves to receive our scathing letters demanding that they immediately incorporate euthanasia techniques into the cirriculum as opposed to letting these bas**rds loose on an unsuspecting public.

Their media contact is:
    Ms. Sandra Harbison
    Tel: (865) 974-7377
    Email: sharbiso@utk.edu

Dr. Michael Blackwell, dean of the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine (UTCVM) plans to retire. Blackwell, who came to UT in 2000, will leave his position January 1, 2008, with his retirement effective March 1.

College of Veterinary Medicine
    The University of Tennessee
    2407 River Drive
    Knoxville, TN 37996
    Tel: (865) 974- 7262
    FAX: (865) 974-4773
    Email: MBlackw1@utk.edu

Suggest you email both of them and send them the link to the itchmo site that addresses Baber and his practices, and demand that they review their cirriculum at UTCVM and ensure that HUMANE methods of death are integrated into the cirriculum.

Send those emails now - if you won’t, who will????

17. G in INdiana says:

Hey sk and Lynn, the shooter can miss, easily. Then you end up with a wounded animal crying in pain. Head shots are hard to do unless you have specific equipment to hold the animal in a stock so it can’t move it’s head. This county I live in is too cheap to provide anything close to humane “disposal” of it’s pet over population.

18. catmom5 says:

Just got off the phone with the County Clerk. According to her, “Dr” Barbaric is no longer working for the county. I asked her how the replacement will be euthanizing the animals and she said, “We will be following state approved procedures.” I asked if that meant they will be humanely euthanized rather than barbarically killed and she repeated that they would follow the state guidelines. This idiot vet needs to lose his license PERIOD! I will be making more email contacts! God bless those poor animals who were the victims of not only being abandoned or rejected, but then who died at the hands of ths cruel man.

19. Stefani says:

Lynn, you make lots of good points.

Thank you for doing a check of vet board records– I was thinking we should all write the Tennessee Vet Board!

Here is their contact info:

To contact this board, call (615) 532-3202 local or 1-800-778-4123 nationwide or write
    227 French Landing, Suite 300
    Nashville, TN 37243

(from http://health.state.tn.us/Boar...../index.htm)

Also, County Executive Thompson, in my mind, bears responsibility. He KNEW what this guy was doing, and merely “told him to stop” instead of firing him.

Also, in spite of the fact that he told him once and the guy didn’t stop, he’s simply telling him again to stop and continuing to employ him.

He is not accepting any of the blame or responsibility, and he also says he does NOT hold Baber responsible!

This man needs to be thrown out on his A*** — I presume this is an elected position?

Here is the despicable man:

R. J. “Hank” Thompson, County Executive
    355 North Belvedere Drive, Room 102
    Gallatin, TN 37066
    Phone: (615) 452-3604
    FAX: (615) 451-6066
    Office Hours: Mon. - Fri., 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

I urge Tennessee residents to voiciferously object to his excuses, demand that he fire Baber, and then proceed NOT TO ELECT HIM again.

While writing the school is a good idea, the school can’t take his license away, only the vet board can! Please write the vet board!

Stefani
    The Toonces Project
    www.TheTooncesProject.com
    “Is Your Pet Safe at the Vet?”

20. Lynn says:

Re comment from G in INdiana on November 5th, 2007 3:23 pm:
    “A heart shot, while barbaric, is a helluva lot more humane than a drunken bum shooting you in the “head”.

I don’t know how you came up with that conclusion, but I seriously beg to differ.

Both methods are barbaric, but I would rather be shot with a gun in the head than held by zombies off the ground while the “doctor” tries to get a hypodermic needle into my heart. It’s inexcusable to use either method.

Face it, they don’t shoot them because it would create a mess someone would have to clean up.

21. Lynn says:

Stefani,

I heartily advocate writing the vet board. But what concerns me is that there may not be sufficient education in the veterinary school’s cirriculum……and you sure as hell want to make sure that vets graduate knowing the difference between euthanasia and murder. That’s why it’s important to contact the vet school and demand they review their curriculum.

Everyone: as far as I know, Nazi Baber is still operating his private practice. You definitely want to shut that down, too. Pity the soul who goes in there expecting his pet to be put to sleep humanely and Nazi Baber strings him up like a scarecrow and shoves the needle into his heart.

22. Stefani says:

Point well taken, Lynn. I will write the school. And the vet board, and post to my other list where I know there is at least one Tennessean.

I also still think the community oughta kick the bum County Exec right out of town.

Stefani

23. catmom5 says:

I spoke on the phone with Sandra Harbison. She was aware of the situation and was not happy that this guy is a representative of the U of Tenn vet school. She gave me both the TVMAnet.org (medical association) and health.state.TN.us (licensing board) addresses to contact. She also assured me that he is NOT representative of the kind of vet they graduate. They have classes in shelter medicine and DO NOT condone this kind of killing. I believe she was very clearly upset with what this guy has been doing, too. Will be contacting both of the addresses she gave me to share my outrage.
    AND he is no longer employed by the county but does have a private practice. This guy needs to find another line of work, not dealing with animals or people.

24. toni says:

Lynn - go to www.tndepartmentofhealth.gov to look up the medical licensure of any medical professional

25. Stefani says:

Another thing that needs to be changed:

The article says:

“In response to what he did on the video, Baber didn’t deny what he is doing and said he isn’t doing anything wrong. Although there are euthanasia guidelines set by law for veterinary technicians to follow, it’s unclear if that also applies to veterinarians”

The state regulations need to be modified to very clearly state that the euthasia guidelines also apply to veterinarians.

Also, in 26 states, veterinarians are exempt from prosecution under Animal Cruelty laws for actions taken while practising “veterinary medicine.”

Is Tennesee one of those states?

Stefani

26. Connie says:

Hi folks,

Thank you for some great investigative work in unearthing these addresses and contact info.

I am a Tennessee resident in a neighboring county. I’ve written Hank Thompson today, and have been looking for others to write as well. I’m going to go back up the thread and take names.

This is, of course, an abomination. I agree that “Dr.” Baber should not be allowed to practice veterinary medicine ever again. The community is horrified at how this could be allowed to happen. Words fail me…I’ve spent the entire day so depressed, I just can’t stop thinking about it. Something must be done. I hope the demonstration went well this afternoon - hope there was a good turnout.

Stefani, I was reading our state animal cruelty laws this morning, and it did sound to me like veterinarians were exempt from prosecution :(

27. Connie says:

Oh, catmom, I exchanged emails with someone at TVMA today. She said that they are a professional organization, and it is up to the individual whether to join or not. They have no power to revoke a vet’s license. “Dr.” Asshat is not a member of TVMA, so there wasn’t much they could do. :(

28. Don Earl says:

From what I’ve seen, the shelters with the highest kill rates are also those that adopt out pets that have not been spayed/neutered. Any bets this is the case here?

There seems to be some kind of half baked fiscal theory involved that they can’t afford to alter pets, but they can afford to euthanize the offspring of those unaltered pets until the end of time.

29. Stefani says:

Connie,

Although the TVMA can’t take his license away, the State Veterinary Board can. Their contact info is:

(615) 532-3202 local or 1-800-778-4123 nationwide or write
    227 French Landing, Suite 300
    Nashville, TN 37243

Veterinary Boards generally coddle bad veterinarians, and almost never issue strong disciplinary action. Let’s try to make this case an exception and show them that the public is watching.

STef

30. Sally says:

Alittle bit of clarifying info:

Please don’t confuse Sumner County Humane Assoc. (good nonprofit!) in Hendersonville TN with Sumner County Rabies Control (G*D Awful county agency!) in Gallatin TN.

The info given (names, location, etc.) in above posts is correct for Rabies Control. But please don’t refer to that horror chamber as the Animal Shelter! It is NOT a shelter but a chamber of horrors!

And that Hank Thompson is an elected official - another example of the good ole’ boy network! The citizens of Sumner county need to recall him.

A tremendous thanks to the ladies of Sumner County (many of them previously or currently associated with the HUMANE Association AKA Shelter) who have worked very hard to get the evidence to expose these atrocities. Thanks too to the “trusties” AKA jail inmates working in the Rabies Control Facility who were sickened by what they had to participate in (holding the dogs up for the heart stick) and who helped gather the evidence. They have accomplished what many have been trying to do for years.

For the benefit of the dedicated Humane Association AKA Shelter workers and volunteers, please be sure to refer to the BAD facility as Rabies Control. Thanks!

Sally in TN

31. Lynn says:

Toni - the link in your 5:53PM comment isn’t working. Please repost. Thanks.

32. Lynn says:

Everyone:

Just because some people already contacted certain schools or agencies or licensing boards, don’t assume it’s been done and you don’t need to do anything. Call them or send them an email or fax or letter. They must be made to understand that it’s not one person who is opposed to this practice, but many people. Drown them in your protests. Make them irritated enough to create change.

And to reiterate, look at the picture in the upper left of this link:

How would YOU like to be that dog, waiting to get attacked in the heart? And don’t think for a minute that animals can’t sense something bad about to happen.

Nora and Rufus:
    Like you, I am a peaceful person. But I have to say that this one REALLY makes me want to take justice into my own hands.

33. Jenny Bark says:

Sally, give us the names. addresses & phone # of the county people to write & call. They are getting tax dollars right?

34. Lynn says:

Hold on to your stomachs and read this:

Unless I am way off the mark, this article, written by a vet tech, advocates that any and all of these techniques is euthanasia. Remember the definition of euthanasia……

It looks to me that somewhere along the line SOME people in the vet profession have become too hardened and think ANY method of killing is euthanasia. These are the people who need to get out of the business. Fast.

Read the whole link, but here’s what was written about “intercardiac” route of injection:
    “The intercardiac route can be used when poor venous circulation is present and there is a fluid buildup in the abdomen. Since the induction of a needle into the chest cavity can sometimes be painful, it is recommended that the animal be sedated with acepromazine, or acepromazine & butrophanol combination before performing euthanasia. To perform a cardiac puncture, place the animal in right lateral recumbancy. A 22 or 20 gauge 1 1/2″ to 2″ needle is used to enter into the heart on the left side of the animal, just below the third rib. An efficient way to determine where to inset the needle, is to bring the left front leg up close to the chest, find where the tip of the elbow is and insert the needle straight. Steady negative pressure is applied to the syringe until blood is seen in the needle hub, then the injection is given.”

So I guess this means it’s pretty painful since you can bet your bottom dollar the shelter isn’t going to spend more money on another sedating drug to be administered prior to delivering the sodium pentobarbital.

Sorry, folks….I know this isn’t pleasant info….but you need to know this.

35. Connie says:

Stefani, yes, I am writing a letter to the state veterinary board tomorrow. A very strongly worded letter.

36. mittens says:

i had the unfortunate but necessary responsibility of having 2 of my terminally ill very old cats euthanized this year. i really didn’t want to take them out of the apartment so i had a very reliable house call vet come. it was expensive but worth it. she explained absolutely everything to me-what was legally required- and particularly with cats who are older and ill and often very small it is VERY difficult to inject the barbituates that kill them intravenously.they simply cant find the vein and no one wants a botched jabbing about with a needle for hours- as anyone who has ever had a bad , impatient phlebotomist experience knows . what animal, particularly a cat ,is going to put up with that no matter how sick?. it’s actually quicker( which is what we want , isn’t it? the quickest , non-lingering death?) and more efficient to inject it directly in the heart. because that is painful they put them under as if theyre going to have surgery- it takes mere seconds to give the 2 required shots. it was all over in moments- a blessing.

so just because this guy is a tool does not mean that injections in the heart are not a part of humane euthanasia- it is sometimes necessary. it’s his not giving the sedative that’s the cruel lazy cheap jackass part.

37. Sally says:

County Executive’s Office and commissioners

Sumner County Executive’s Office

R. J. “Hank” Thompson, County Executive
    355 North Belvedere Drive, Room 102
    Gallatin, TN 37066
    Phone: (615) 452-3604
    FAX: (615) 451-6066
    Office Hours: Mon. - Fri., 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Administrative Assistants, Linda Edwards, Susan Perkins

Services offered or responsibilities:
    1. Oversee all operations of county buildings
    2. Administrative
    3. Rabies Control

Here’s the county commission list.

BILL KEMP

1514 HWY 259
    PORTLAND, TN 37148
    325-5911 (H)
    3RD STEVE GRAVES
    1514 ROCK SPRINGS RD
    BETHPAGE, TN 37022
    841-3112 (H) 841-4121 (W)
    4TH ANTHONY HOLT
    134 MEADOWVUE DRIVE
    HENDERSONVILLE, TN 37075
    824-1902 (H)
    9TH CHRIS HUGHES
    103 BAYVIEW DRIVE
    HENDERSONVILLE, TN 37075
    264-2297 (H) 824-6970 (W)
    10TH PAUL R. GOODE
    124 CEDARCREST DRIVE
    HENDERSONVILLE, TN 37075
    479-5088 (H)
    11TH PAUL D. FREELS
    2458 LONG HOLLOW PIKE
    HENDERSONVILLE, TN 37075
    824-0817 (H)
    12TH BILLY S. HOBBS
    116 EASTSIDE DRIVE
    WHITE HOUSE, TN 37188
    672-3793 (H) 364-7879 (C)
    1ST SHAWN FENNELL
    250 OLD WOLF HILL RD
    BETHPAGE, TN 37022
    841-3488 (H) 452-5950 (W) 426-7113 (C)
    2ND RAGAN HALL
    780 N LEATH RD
    PORTLAND, TN 37148
    325-6243 (H)
    3RD DAVID SATTERFIELD
    1976 HARTSVILLE PIKE
    GALLATIN, TN 37066
    452-6166 (H) 838-4226 (C)
    4TH JOE C. MATTHEWS
    103 REBECCA DRIVE
    HENDERSONVILLE, TN 37075
    822-3866 (H)
    9TH DAVID KIMBROUGH
    209 ISLAND DRIVE
    HENDERSONVILLE, TN 37075
    824-2026 (H) 824-6485 (W)
    10TH JO SKIDMORE
    209 NEPTUNE DRIVE
    HENDERSONVILLE, TN 37075
    824-0033 (H) OR 824-3070
    11TH JERRY F. STONE
    3293 LONG HOLLOW PIKE
    HENDERSONVILLE, TN 37075
    824-5981 (H)
    12TH BOB POSPISIL
    202 DENISE CIRCLE
    COTTONTOWN, TN 37048
    672-1290 (H) 672-1905 (W)

38. Sylvia says:

This is disgusting - the practice should be stopped immediately, the vet fired, the head of the county shelter fired - anyone who condones this practice is sub human and to excuse this horrible practice by blaming stupid people who allow their animals to breed is idiotic. The state of Tennessee should be ashamed that their government is allowing this and their citizens are paying for it. Disgusting…………..

39. Jenny Bark says:

Sally THANKS. I’ll start calling TODAY. People these are the people who control the money and are the ones also to go after. That is where change can be made & new people put in the shelter or replaced with a different shelter. Please let us all start calling them also & help the people of Tennessee. Remember also the police said Barber is an o.k guy & they use him. Imo the people of Tenn, are up agaist some real Bast!!!!’s. I can’t help thinking how many times he missed the poor babies heart by the way he was doing it for 3 years.

I think I’ll take a different tact. I’m going to send Hank a copy of Winograd’s book and a nice letter asking that he take the time to read it and think about how he can make his facility a model of decency instead of a house of horrors.

Yes, I know, probably won’t change anything, but one can always hope.

41. Connie says:

Yes, thank you Sally! I will add these contacts to my list. I’m writing today.

Jenny, you got it right. Sounds like this is “Good Ole’ Boy” networking at its finest.

Baber is indeed an embarrassment to our state, and to the veterinary profession in general.

42. Connie says:

We have had one state representative, Ben West, Jr., speak out in support of holding shelters and animal control facilities to a higher standard. He said he hope this would serve as a wake-up call. To paraphrase, his words were something to the effect of, “Watch out shelters, here we come!”

Go, Ben!

West’s office used to be next door to my husband’s office. My husband said West brought his dog to work with him on numerous occasions, just to hang out and spend the day. :) In his most recent re-election campaign, he was photographed with his wife and dog in front of their Christmas tree.

I’m going to write a letter of thanks to him today. If you’d like to encourage him as well, his email is rep.ben.west@legislature.state.tn.us.

43. catmom5 says:

2cat, lovely idea. He’s probably been bombarded with so much negativity that he’s just ignoring it now. Perhaps a “spoonful of sugar” can help this man understand the horrors of what’s happening in the shelters/rabies control department.

44. Chris Razmus says:

Regarding Tennessee Vet. I think a petition should be sent to their county about this guy. Anyone that gets paid to do that kind of job has something wrong mentally. They do say that cruelty to animals leads to human assault and whether this guy is led by the nose by the county, doesn’t change that he must enjoy his methods of killing these animals. Only once in my life time did I witness this when I found a cat that was hit by a car and his lungs were injured. I had no idea that the vet was going to put him to sleep this way and when I saw this the cat screamed when being injected. I felt sick to my stomach. This county needs not only to get rid of this vet but something aught to be done with him mentally.

45. June says:

This county has a wealthy component due to country music stars owning property there. (Proximity to Nadhville) Also there is a tourism industry. There are contacts on that page. If you send them a link to this Itchmo page, I think they will care about the negative impact of this stigma upon the area. Might even want to contact people in the country music industry about this. (CMA awards this week.) This is not the kind of image they want and many would be truly horrified to hear about this. I think local interest by people that have the ability to change things is critical in this case.

46. Connie says:

June, I feel pretty sure the “country music stars” are aware of this already. Incidentally, most of them own land in Williamson County, not Sumner County. Davidson County is where Nashville is. It separates the two.

47. Madeleine says:

This man who masquerades as a vet should be tarred and feathered then shot in the heart to put him out of his misery. How dare he be allowed to do euthanize in this way. How dare he be called a vet. He gives the profession a bad name. He’s no better than a used car salesman working for commission…the more animals he kills, the more money he makes. Damn him.

48. Connie says:

GOOD NEWS! GOOD NEWS!

Just watched the 6:00 news. The teaser said, “The hammer is about to fall for a Gallatin vet.”

The state veterinary board has called an emergency meeting tomorrow to discuss this, at the urging of Rep. Janis Sontany. Her recommendation to the board was license revocation.

Rep. Sontany stated, “What it seems we have here is a veterinarian who is actually committing acts of animal cruelty.”

Indeed. That is the essence of what has been so horrifying about this.

The board will review the case tomorrow and decide whether Dr. Baber poses a threat to animals.

If you could spare a prayer or good thought for us tomorrow, that the board will act with wisdom and justice will be served, that would be much appreciated.

Just thought a few of you may still be reading and would share my happiness!

49. Lynn says:

This is great, great news. Let’s track this carefully and get itchmo to start a new thread when the positive news comes up.

See, it takes a village. The power is there - you just have to use it. Nice job, everyone who contributed.

50. Jenny Bark says:

Connie, you all have my prayers. You all in Tenn. & on Itchmo are really great people. These beautiful animals are given to us as a gift & it is all of our jobs to be good stewards of them.

Connie please let us know what happens.

Itchmo I agree with Lynn at 8:19, please keep us informed not everybody goes to the forms. please.

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All