Texas Lab Finds Acetaminophen In Pet Food

Pets

ExperTox, a Texas lab, found acetaminophen (a fifth possible contaminant) in at least five samples of pet food that were submitted by pet owners and pet manufacturers. The medication was mostly found with cyanuric acid, and hundreds of other samples that were sent in tested positive for melamine. The contaminants were found in pet foods that have not been recalled.

ExperTox said that the highest level of acetaminophen was found in a dog food sample submitted by a pet food manufacturer, but the lab is not identifying the company. The FDA is now investigating the findings from the lab and a FDA spokesperson says that: “what’s significant is these things are there. They don’t belong there.”

The article also mentions Don Earl and how he tested his cat’s food and found acetaminophen and cyanuric acid in it. His cat, Chuckles, was eating Pet Pride cat food and died in January. Many Itchmo readers may already be familiar with Don’s story and his website.

(Thanks Maureen and many other readers)

150 Responses to “Texas Lab Finds Acetaminophen In Pet Food”

1. Monika says:

No wonder more cats died - acetaminophen is deadly to cats.

2. Susan says:

Why haven’t these foods been recalled? Do these companies care so much about their dollars now that they’ll risk going out of business later? I’m so relieved I found a source of fresh, local chicken. They’re giving me the chicken hearts for free because of what I’m trying to do.

3. Sue says:

Are we sure yet that acetaminophen is the fith contaminant?? Not only am I mega worried about the cats and other animals but if this is the “sensitive” mystery contaminant,it’s maybe in the human food chain too? My human partner has a significant allergy to acetaminophen…Sue

4. Monika says:

Can we somehow put pressure on the Texas lab to release the dog food brand affected? Doesn’t the article state the company was notified by the lab a month ago?!?!? This is insanity (all. over. again.)

5. Trudy Jackson says:

I wonder how long before they will be recalled? Soon, I hope. Like NOW!

As if this isn’t bad enough

7. Debbie4747 says:

Are those pictures of pets that have died from bad food? I feel like crying looking at them….so unecessary. Why can’t the lab or FDA release the name(s) of the manufacturer(s)? Like someone else posted, you could “almost” see the use of melamine, but acetaminophen is just plain criminal.

8. Debbie4747 says:

Aw geez Steve….how will they know when to stop eating?

9. Amy says:

Well, Steve, they just want to make sure your pets get their daily dose of melamine in every meal! Now you just need to crush up a tylenol and they’ll be good and dead. Unbelievable! WHAT is acetaminophen doing in food? I’m so disgusted I don’t know if I should throw up or scream.

10. pam says:

well, we know it’s both dog and cat food. chuckles was a cat and expertox mentioned dog food…both products unrecalled although chuckles was eating pet pride. i swear the only way to hurt these companies is to buy their stock and get them from the inside. i know it’s distasteful, but even one share gives you your say at the annual stockholder’s meeting if you don’t sign over your proxy. i am so damn tempted.

11. 4lgdfriend says:

This hardly seems “sensitive” enough to have been redacted, in the post 9/11 sense.

And the fact that it was in unrecalled foods plural makes everything suspect all over again.

Where is the verification that this was not present in the original findings?
    Looks like we’re on another treasure hunt for old unopened bags —- and how convenient for the FDA’s industrial sponsors that it is now unlikely those are available.

12. Susan says:

That website that Menusux posts a lot from: Alibaba.com? I looked up acetaminophen there and found a lot of the places make food additives, too, like taurine, stearic acid, citric acid, vitamins, etc. - all that junk that is added to pet (and human) food. Could it be cross-contamination, do they not clean their plants, is acetaminophen cheaper than some of the other products?

13. 4lgdfriend says:

Also, Don’s dogfood was a dry food - which lends additional credence to those who posted problems w dry foods never recalled (YET).

14. 4lgdfriend says:

Susan: Could it be cross-contamination, do they not clean their plants, is acetaminophen cheaper than some of the other products?

Not cross contamination in those amounts. And can’t say until across the board testing is done. Why would acetaminophen not have been included in early testing?

15. Susan says:

4lgdfriend, Why would they not test for it when Menu Food’s animal testing killed 9 cats and 1 dog?

16. 4lgdfriend says:

Don’s cat died in January - right at beginning of the problems.

This is a substance that could not possibly have been added for any legitimate reason (unlike the convenient scapegoat, melamine).

17. LorieVA says:

4lgdfriend says

Why would acetaminophen not have been included in early testing?

Just a shot in the dark here but why would they test for pain killer ingredients and go above and beyond their scope of work which was waste chemicals for industrial plants.

No way were they going to think outside the box for other toxins.

To be honest I am shocked myself that their is a Pharm drug in the food, I tought it was all industrial too.

18. 4lgdfriend says:

Susan: Why would they not test for it when Menu Food’s animal testing killed 9 cats and 1 dog?

Exactly. or did they??

China corners vitamin market

Chinese pharmaceutical companies also have taken over much of … acetaminophen (often sold under the brand name Tylenol), as well as the bulk of vitamins … C and E.

20. Susan says:

Reports of kidney failure? You’d think they’d be testing for antifreeze and acetaminophen right away.

21. Maureen says:

Sue Says:
    June 5th, 2007 at 2:17 pm

“Are we sure yet that acetaminophen is the fith contaminant??”

See my posting re: 5th ingredient at:

Maureen, June 5th at 10:22 a.m.

Too lengthy to repost here. It’s based on the FDA press conf. where 5th ingredient is discussed and the 2 FDA documents that contain this info.

22. Susan says:

The FDA with their use of word redacted (us old-timers remember it from the Cold War), made it sound like it was plutonium.

23. LorieVA says:

I thought acetaminophen caused liver issues we have seen a lot of blogs of dogs with liver enzyme issues post here. What foods were those people eating maybe we have the answer right here in our blogs.

24. Susan says:

Acetaminophen can cause both liver and kidney issues. And you’re right LorieVA, we’ve heard reports of both.

25. Maureen says:

From Itchmo’s text at the beginning of this thread: Steve’s story re testing: “For $144 they agreed to test for the suspected pet food toxins (Melamine, Cyanuric Acid, Aminopterin, etc.) as well as other common toxins to pets.”

Acetaminophen must have been one of those common toxins. It would be good to know what toxins are in this group that would be commonly tested for.

And why would the FDA narrow their test protocol to melamine-cyanuric acid? Here’s the link to the protocol they sent around to their employees for testing wheat gluten, RCP, etc: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/GCMSscreen.htm

Rhetorical question — obviously that’s all they wish to report to the public. It’s melamine, the Chinese did it. Rat poison, pharmaceuticals, etc. would scare people silly and affect eating habits and corp. profits. People would eat whole foods as much as possible.

And they must be mortified that 2 American companies manufactured and sold melamine-spiked products. Wait until we hear where this stuff was exported to? China, do you suppose?

26. pat says:

what do you suppose the body count will have to be before this is taken seriously? also, has the TX lab reported the name of the pet food company whose tests came back positive to fda? if so, and they sat on it, i’m going to be even angrier than i have been these past weeks and months… something i did not think possible.

27. LorieVA says:

heres a link to a blog page where all the people are talking about liver failure in their pets not being taken seriously as pet food recall issuses:

Surprise one othe people mentions PURINA

28. mittens says:

susan is right-with the symptoms that were reported antifreeze and actaminophen are what any vet would recognize as common sources of such pet poisonings. they even knew that melamine wasnt capable of killing so quickly…

sickening cover up. this is so beyond criminal i am rendered speechless one again. the fda big wigs need to be brought up on charges of corruption and criminal complicty and negligience. congress which holds the fda purse strings needs to snap them right off at the top and clean house. arent they claiming to be ‘the most ethical congress ever’? well get busy…

It took until JUNE to find freaking TYLENOL in the PET FOOD???!!!!????
    I wish we had firing squads. We need them. BAD.

30. Pit Bull Lover says:

Apparently, only a feed’s listed ingredients (contaminants, toxins, “binders”) are routinely subject to analysis. If animal feed and pet food products are regulated similarly, it’s no wonder this stuff isn’t detected until after animals are sickened or die.

From the Columbus Dispatch: “Feed inspectors typically analyze the ingredients listed on the product’s label, but melamine isn’t usually listed. Sometimes it’s only detected during testing and analysis of the finished product.”

31. LorieVA says:

here are some comments from the URL above.

Yes! My dog got very sick after eating the food and I took her in the vet, not having a clue as to what was wrong with her. She was extremely lethargic and vomiting/diareah. Her tests also did not show crystals in the urine, but her liver readings were very high. I know this also has something to do with the food. I submitted my claim to Nutro’s insurance company,

I had to put my precious beagle, Shiley, to sleep last Monday because of liver failure. My vet assured me that it was not related to the pet food recall because her kidneys were fine.

I think the fact that the pet food companies are downplaying the fact that LIVER FAILURE not just kidney failure is a part of this mess is just criminal. There are quite a few of us that are trying to manage with animals in Liver Failure due to eating the same bad pet food.

32. LorieVA says:

Would acetaminophen explain why some of the pets bled out?????????????? Doesn’t thin the blood???

back in the day many moons ago I knew someone who tried to OD on Exederine and they chickenout and vomited it up. The were told it would of eventually thinned their blood and they would of bled out.

maybe it was this all along and not the rat poison either.

33. Susan says:

LorieVA, I agree with you. Ribble, my cat, was in kidney failure and is recovering. Her liver enzymes went way up and the vet said it was from rapid weight loss. Hepatic lipidosis can happen to cats. However, she didn’t lose THAT much weight. So I’m not sure.
    I am so sorry about your dog. I’m so sure it’s this damn food!

34. Ruth says:

I too have commented that my little dog died from eating dry dog food. And the Vet said she had severe immune problem that her red blood cells stop producing and later liver failure. She had problems getting blood from her for testing. She died in 2 1/2 days. The Vet wanted to know if she had gotten into rat posion. (Which she didn’t)

I got connected to Pet.Place.com after goolging Acetaminophen in dogs. And came up on an article that listed the toxicity of Acetaminophen and it had ALL the symptoms and how many hours from one symptom to the next. MY PET had all these in a row. I don’t know how the VET could have missed this. And as a result my little dog died. Believe me I am so angry right, I could scream.

35. Susan says:

I took my cats in before the Royal Canin recall. My vet firmly believed they had gotten into antifreeze, no matter what I said to him. I don’t keep antifreeze in the house. How many ways can you say that? I finally paid for them to be tested. NO ANTIFREEZE! Finally, Royal Canin got recalled. I dropped that vet like a rock. When recalls are happening every week, how could he ignore food as a possible cause? I feel for you, Ruth. I get so angry and so sad for people’s losses.

Susan Says:

June 5th, 2007 at 2:43 pm

Susan,

You’re right–that’s one of the larger ones for trade. And now I’m wondering out loud if acetaminophen, which in bulk seems to not be very expensive, wasn’t added as a “filler” to “stretch” more expensive food additives. No one would be looking for it, so there’d be no test screening for acetaminophen, any more than there was for melamine earlier. The exporters may have added it to the food additives for more profit, thinking that their customers (PF/food industry)would never know.

37. Pit Bull Lover says:

More poison. More secrets. This voluntary disclosure thing is bull%#&!!!

I need to know which foods were privately tested and flagged. Anyone have a link to more info, or contact info for someone in the know?

Susan Says:

June 5th, 2007 at 4:10 pm

Having another thought here–Googling Royal Canin Glycerin turns up quite a few of their products which contain it (glycerin). Putting that together with what we know about the phony glycerin–diethylene glycol (DEG)–

“DEG is used in antifreeze and as a solvent.”

Could the phony glycerin have been making the rounds in this and other places, in between the time the tainted toothpaste was reported and October, 2006, in Panama?

39. Susan says:

Menusux–I can’t tell you how much that scares me. We as customers (not consumers, not clients) have no control over the food supply. I feel the need to (verbally) smack around a few Senators and Representatives.
    Do you remember after 9/11 HHS said they would hire 600 more food inspectors in case terrorists wanted to poison our food? Where are they?

40. Mamma of furries says:

Why is the FDA protecting all of these companies that are poisoning our animals and I am sure even us humans? The FDA is so incompetent at protecting anyone that they should be removed and start with a clean slate of people not totally tied to the politicians. This is relly creeping me out. Everyday it’s one thing or another. Pet food, hogs and chicken feed, toothpaste. It seems like the Chinese are determined to put an end to Americans one way or another. Why are we not banning Chines imports? Aren’t we the breadbasket of the world?

41. 4lgdfriend says:

Whatever happened to the end-of-business JUNE 1 DEADLINE for the FDA to produce all answers IN UNREDACTED FORM???

Where are the subpeonas?

42. 4lgdfriend says:

I’ve always thought melamine was chosen as a scapegoat. As mentioned, if it is so harmless, it would not have produced such quick and violent symptoms leading to death.

43. 4lgdfriend says:

In short: nothing on the labels can be considered truthful.

44. Cougar says:

Does anyone where you take the pet foods to have them tested? It seems there are a few people having the foods tested on their own, and I wonder where they have take them. I’m tired of waiting around.

Acetaminophen would absolutely explain liver involvement in pets. Any dose over the standard on the bottle is toxic to HUMAN liver. Never take extra acetaminophen, or you will be damaging your own liver. WHAT IS THIS DOING IN PET FOOD???

46. Susan says:

Cougar
    In another thread Debbie4747 Says:

June 5th, 2007 at 4:21 pm

I believe some are using Accutrace

47. Susan says:

Sorry, Cougar, I have another one.
    http://www.expertox.com/ is the lab mentioned in the above article.

48. Christine says:

The combination of not identifying the company or the
    foods and turning important work over to the FDA is
    L E T H A L.

Christine

Susan,

I’d read somewhere that they DID add food inspectors after 9/11, but little by little they were “nipped”out–the victims of cutting the budget because they didn’t seem to be necessary. We need both COOL AND the food budget raised–not cut as they seem bent on doing now, believe it or not.

50. Susan says:

Some state governments have passed their own version of COOL, so I am badgering on both the state and federal level to implement the program. And I love the FDA’s budget. Out of a $105 million increase, $10.6 million added for food safety.

51. Cougar says:

Thanks for the info Susan, I will look into it.

52. Trudy Jackson says:

I have a cat with a bad heart. I have to give him taurine -I get it from the vets. This is the web site I found on His meds. He has to have 2 pills a day.
    Thanks

Pedigree and Milk bones……I still want to know what was in those that made my dog pee blood and throw up blood. I know that in humans, pro longed use of Acetaminophen will cause stomach bleed outs and death. To this day neither Pedigree dry dog food or Milk Bones have been recalled and I can not afford the testing. I have kept the food for months now just in case a recall comes up. My dog has been on home cooking every since he got severly ill last Easter. I walk my dog to pee and he thinks he is done and starts to walk while still going. My vet said it was a kidney infection. In all my research I have not once found that kidney infection causes dogs to pee blood or throw up blood. If anyone knows…..let me know please!

54. POOKIESMUM says:

WHY can’t they tell us who these people are?
    What else are the keeping from us.?
    Me thinks don’t get the pet parents too mad.

55. Caryl Myers says:

deplorable!

56. thomas says:

I think this article if accurate , explains why we should not trust the government to find the answers and be honest . www.mindfully.org/industry/ADM-CORP-welfare.htm

57. Teresa says:

I didn’t see it in any of the previous comments so I’ll note it here:

One acetominophen tablet (500mg) can kill a 7-lb cat.

58. thomas says:

At what point will the government and others(?) make it illegal for we the citizens to have our own test down to protect our pets and ourselves?

59. thomas says:

At what point will the government and others(?) make it illegal for we the citizens to have our own test done to protect our pets and ourselves?

60. Sky Eyes Woman says:

Trudy, look at your taurine label and compare it to taurine sold for human use. You will see it is the same dosage and ingredients in both. If you use taurine for people it will be cheaper and hopefully safer since the manufacturer of the human supplement (hopefully) operates under stricter standards for purity. Puritan’s Pride makes all their own stuff here in the USA. I’ve ordered from them and have been very happy with their prices, products and service.

[url]www.puritan.com[/url]

My cat is dying and four vets cannot determine what the cause is. She is bleeding from the mouth and suffering from regenerative anemia. She needs a blood transfusion that I can’t afford. Has anyone seen these symptoms or know which of the poisons would cause this effect and how to treat it?

62. Geff says:

To the Democratic Congress - It’s time for a law FORCING the FDA to immeadiately release all information on companies responsable for any food poisoning - human or pet. & Dems, it’s also time to override the Bush veto that would follow such a law.

63. Kiki says:

Just what I predicted…there is probably more #$%@ in our food and pet food - gotta test for the thousands of things - it could be ANYTHING. This story is NOT over.

FDA @#$holes should be fired immediately. Why is this still not being reported. Have you ever seen a story that has evolved to this extent - getting worse and worse and still the media hasn’t gotten a clue - what is going on???? This should be making headlines and wide spread panic is in order. Until the government cracks down BIGTIME, we are all at risk and the only way that the US gvernment will crackdown is if they have 370 million people in an uproar…

64. Ann Jackson says:

I’m so sorry about your cat, Sharon. I can’t really answer your question because I have a dog who was sickened but I do know that most vets have been giving the affected pets IVs and fliuds under the skin. Has your cat been getting fluids from the vet? My heart goes out to you. I know someone here will have the answer you need.

65. furmom says:

One wild theory as to how acetaminophen could get into a cat through his food:
    According to the USGS study, acetaminophen, which is also known as paracetamol, is one of the most frequently detected anthropogenic compounds in streams in the U.S.

Chlorination is the most common chemical method for wastewater and drinking-water disinfection in the U.S. Under conditions simulating wastewater disinfection, acetaminophen reacted with hypochlorite to form a variety of products, two of which were identified as toxic compounds-1,4-benzoquinone and N-acetyl-p-benzoquinone imine (NAPQI)-by authors Mary Bedner and William MacCrehan of the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology.

66. Richard says:

I fed my young husky a recalled can dog food. Good I gave him only 1/4 can each morning, plus not a recalled dry food for the rest of his meals. Loose stools but he seemed mostly ok.

If these food companies recalled all their dog food, the public would have nothing. I suspect dry is also contaminated also but lesser in amounts of poison. It’s vested interest to keep up companies’ on-going sales, profits.

I will not buy dry dog food from any of those who recalled their canned dog food. Just my precaution, until we know more about it.

67. KP says:

I apologize if this is a question that has already been answered but I’m concerned because I can’t seem to find any of the 4 (of the 5 contaminated brands) on any of the sites/posts I’ve read…
    Does anyone know where I can find them? :(

68. Diane says:

I found this interesting in light of an article in The Arizona Republic last Sunday which listed products that China has taken over producing INCLUDING TYLENOL, asprin, 90% of ALL Vitamin C and so many other other drugs and vitamins. Is it any wonder this Tylenol ingredient should ’suddenly’ appear in pet food investigations?????

69. Bonnie says:

I help out a lot on Yahoo answers and a lot of people are reporting that pets are losing hair in patches. Does nayone know it this could be realted.

70. Deena Alexander says:

I just had a thought about the acetaminophen found in the food….sometimes animals for slaughter have been given drugs to keep them healthy, then when the animals go to slaughter their bodies still contain the drugs…this used to be a big debate about humans being more tolerant to antibiotics for the same reason. The “cleaner” organs like kidneys and livers would go into the dog foods and still be loaded with the drugs. Could there be a major meat corp. out there feeding their animals these drugs and inadvertantly posioning animals in the process?

71. Kathy says:

I have wondered all along, and even more so lately, if the melamine isn’t just a smoke screen. I think that’s why I keep coming back. Wish I still had some of the food my dog ate, think I’ll go buy a small bag tomorrow before Nutro panics and pulls it off the shelves.

72. Judy boone says:

Sharon

Please call your local humane society– prehaps they can help your poor cat or find a Dr who will let you pay the blood transfusion out–I would donate $$$ if I had it.Please accept my sympathy .
    Judy Boone

73. Kathy says:

Sharon I have seen cats with those symptoms after having eaten a mouse that had eaten d-con.

74. Barb R says:

I’m totally disgusted with this whole situation. The FDA isn’t REALLY doing anything and they’re not going to do anything. The only way you can stop this madness and protect your pets from being poisoned is to STOP BUYING ALL COMMERCIALLY PRODUCED PET FOOD! Don’t buy canned, don’t buy kibble, don’t buy treats, don’t buy ANY of it. Go out and get a copy of Kymythy Schultze’s book Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats or Dr Ian Billinghurst’s, Give Your Dog A Bone or Carina Beth MacDonald’s Raw Dog Food - Make It Easy For You and Your Dog, or Dr Pitcairn’s Natural Health for Dogs and Cats or Donald Strombeck’s Home Prepared Dog and Cat Diets. Any of these books will give you the basics of how to prepare your own pet food. It’s not hard and it’s not rocket science and it’s not really expensive. Ask the folks that are now treating they’re animals for liver or kidney failure how expensive that is. I’ve been making food for my 2 dogs and 1 cat for 8 years. They’re healthy and fine and we rarely ever have to go to the vet. I KNOW WHAT’S IN THEIR FOOD. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t make good healthy pet food. If you can feed your own family or yourself nutritous food why not do it for your best friends. They’ll be so much better off. If you really want to hurt the pet food companies and make them stop and take notice… DON’T BUY ANY MORE OF THEIR CRAP FOOD!

75. Claire says:

In response to Bonnie, My 2 year old cat went into sudden kidney failure in March (eating a diet of only Science diet wet and dry foods) and has been under agressive treatment since then. Her prognosis isn’t good at this point. She had her stomach shaved on March 16th and as of today (June5th) it has not grown back…

76. Bonnie says:

On yahoo answers, every day, someone is saying (my cat is losing hair (somewhere) and it is coming out in patches that are not red or irritated) I was just wondering if anymone else had had this problem. So far mine have all of their fur, but my dog who was on eukanuba, started losing fur on her back legs. I have changed her food to iams and it appears to be growing back. It is so weird. Thanks for the information.

77. Trudy Jackson says:

Sharon, it sounds like your cat was poisioned. that will make them bleed out. and this acetiminophen will do that. It is poision to a cat. Can you get your vet to check Her for that?
    I lost 3 cats on Hills science diet. They won’t believe it though.

78. Gloria says:

In a nut shell my words for the FDA and the pet food companies is simply A VERY ANGRY SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM !!!!!!!!!!!

79. Captn Carl says:

When I was a kid all of our pets were fed table scraps YES the dreaded and highly dangerous Table Scraps. None of them ever had any of the problems we are seeing today courtesy of the greedy and corrupt corporate manufacturers of the toxic products that we are constantly browbeaten into feeding our pets.

I don’t care who tells you that table scraps are bad for your pet….they are lying! Look closely at their motives for encouraging you to buy commercial pet food…..remuneration! What a surprise! Not really. This is a wake up call…..time to wake up and refuse to be duped by the TV Commercials, repetitive and based on falsehoods, just to get your money for a product that is in all probability lethal to your pet.

You and I would no more intentionally poison our pets than another member of our families. These manufacturers, their representatives, their retailers and their scheister attorneys do not care about you, your family or your pets. Their eye is on, and has always has been on only one thing: MONEY! They don’t give a tinker’s damn about you or your pets. Ignore their sudden transparent “concern”. It is an act to get you to trust them again and continue to provide them with a multi-billion dollar a year income.

Our pets look to us for love, proper care and their well-being. We are sadly remiss in our duties as companions to our pets if we allow the cacophony of Madison Avenue lies and hype to influence our basic good and unimpaired judgment when it comes to providing safe food for these valued members of our families.

If the table food we eat doesn’t harm us then how can it be bad for our pets? They do NOT need all of the highly touted and obscenely advertised additives, vitamins and other paraphernalia listed on their bags of poison. I’ll tell you one thing: If the food that I feed my pet from the table is bad for my pet, then it is also bad for me and we die together! No regrets!

Let their poisoned pet food rot on the shelves. Enough of this idiotic unintentional murder. While I do applaud the efforts of the FDA in bringing much of this information to our attention, I rebuke them as well for too little-too late and their lack of foresight and attention to duty in preventing this from occurring from the beginning. They have failed miserably and regrettably in their duty to protect individuals and their families including pets from the ravages of corporate greed and calloused attitudes toward pets.

Needles to say: Allergies or not, skin conditions or not, none of my pets will ever be subjected to the dangerous Russian Roulette of commercially prepared pet food ever again!

We lost our calico cat “GIZMO” to the poison sold by IAMS on the 11th of March 2007.
    I will never forget and I will never forgive this betrayal of trust that we so foolishly placed in IAMS.

Disgusted in Indianhead Park Illinois

Captn’ Carl

80. Katie says:

Bonnie,

That same thing happened to my dog and she also got sick on the Euk. Now that she is on home cooked, she is covered with hair and the hair less patches have filled in with hair!

Katie

81. mdawv1 says:

Just a thought that passed thru my mind while reading this blog. Just wondering…do you suppose that dogs on the newer “joint health” blends/recipes could possibly have begun to appear “better” because along with that small amount of glucosamine in their food they were getting a PAIN KILLER??!! Just sayin…..

82. Raunstar says:

You can bet your ass if one of my cats ends up sick, I’m suing the hell out of
    ExperTox, a Texas lab, for not releasing the name of the food it was found in.

I’ll slap them with so much litigation their grandchildren will need lawyers.

83. ~Renee says:

After much investigation I have my first bag of Felidae on order from my local pet supply store…….

Canidae (verified by company 3/28/07, updated 4/18/07)

Brands include Canidae and Felidae
    No products made by Menu Foods
    All ingredients are grown in the US and are also processed here.
    No wheat gluten is used in their products.
    All products are free of corn, wheat, soy and all grain fractions
    Canidae does not use glutens in any form. (from website 4/18/07)
    We do not import any ingredients from China or overseas. (from website 4/18/07)

*** Under “All Natural Ingredients” Read their “Declaration of Ingredients”
    For what’s out there at this point - I’m impressed!!

84. Kristine Kamp-Adante says:

My heart goes out to all of you who have lost pets or currently have ill pets as a result of the pet food recalls remaining on-going and not taken seriously enough for any of us who have pets.

I’ve researched pet foods until my eyes were falling out and I totally agree, when did we have to start adding ten tons of things we can’t even pronounce to pet foods?? Supplements should be added seperately and in accordance to the individual needs of each pet, as what is good for one is not good for another.

I thought I was doing ok here giving my five greyhounds Sojo’s base mix foods with raw meat and veggies. Due to weight loss after 3 had dentals and the new girl arrived with a splendid case of hookworms…they needed to pick up weight while making the transition to a different diet. I added a cup of Wellness dry kibble. All was well the first bag around, by the end of the first week with the second bag, (purchased at different times) all five of my dogs had beyond the big “D”.

While Wellness has not been on any recall or suspect lists, this does not mean a shipment cannot become contaminated in transit…sitting too long on a hot loading dock, pet store not storing it properly, a variety of things can happen to an otherwise ok dog food. But this was NOT ok with me…nor was the attitude of the pet food store I called where I bought the food. No one else complained, therefore I must be nuts…and lalalala when the subject of recalled foods comes up! I was extremely tempted to take what I cleaned up in my yard over and dump it on his counter!

Between my vet and Sojo’s we all determined that something was obviously very wrong with the Wellness that gave ALL five of my dogs orange runny poop. Anyone who feeds Wellness Super 5 Mix certainly knows that it contains sweet potato’s, that make a dogs feces orange in color. Enough said, no rocket science needed here.

Slowly my dogs are getting back to normal. There ARE good companies out there folks for both dog and cat foods. many are holistic based foods or based on a raw diet. They are small companies, use human grade foods in their own small processing plants. This website lists all the current “safe” foods on the market, as well as all the information you can read about regarding what is really in pet foods along with a variety of heath issues caused by commercial pet foods (even those deemed ok) :

So what can we do to get the so called “powers that be” to take the lives of our pets seriously with regards to the quality of what goes into the food they eat?? Speak up and don’t stop. Defenders of Wildlife and the ASPCA both use internet petitions to circulate and get the attention of not just the public but the persons in charge who are NOT doing their jobs!

Anyone can start a petition at www.thepetitionsite.com

For all of you who have had to say good bye to your beloved pet as a result of human greed and deception….a candle is lit, for you and for your furkids.

Kristine, Luer, Mo Problem, Molly, Candyse, MeeToo & The Cat Squad

85. Valerie says:

I am in shock. Quite speechless. The liver/kidney relation has been uncovered and we need to know what companies! I bought a new biscuit treat last week and was assured the ingredients were safe and did not contain melamine etc. So now one of my dogs has spots of blood in her urine! Back to baking home made treats as well and a quick trip to the vet. Grrr.
    This is just too much madness. There really is no way to gain any trust when this sort of thing keeps popping up. Yeah I want to s c r e a m as well! While at a store next to a Petsmart I saw many carts going out loaded with Iams, Nutro, Purina,Science Diet…are those people uninformed or just stupid?
    Whoever posted the link to:
    thank you!!

86. Itchmo » Blog Archive » Recall Update: Wednesday says:

[…] Lab reports finding acetaminophen in pet food samples. […]

87. Sue Hudler says:

Bonnie,
    I’ve had 6 cats come down sick since the beginning of the year, very strange confusing symptoms and abnormal labs showing elevated WBC and protein. We never have been able to get an exact diagnosis on any of them in spite of extensive bloodwork and other testing. One of the cats, who looked like he was hours from dying,lost a great deal of weight within days, got so dehydrated his skin was sticking together when pinched, and his hair fell out in clumps and patches. He was on subq fluids and I feel that saved him? All cats are now slowly recovering with a variety of treatments. My wonderful vet is at a loss as to what happened to my cats but can not rule out it was food related? Sue

88. petslave says:

Sky–I looked at the Puritan’s Pride website (desparately looking for a source of US sources vitamins) & couldn’t find that their actual ingredients are US. They manufacture here, but do they actually create each vitamin from scratch here? If you have that info, please post so I can maybe find the elusive US-sourced supplement supplier. From what I’ve heard over the last few weeks, almost all vitamins are made in China. The end product may be manufactured here, but the raw ingredients are from there. Here’s a few excerpts from their site that make me wonder:

“Puritan’s Pride is headquartered in Long Island and manufactures over 1,000 high quality vitamins, minerals…”

“As part of our commitment to quality, Puritan’s Pride uses its global resources to identify and acquire the most bio-active nutritional ingredients.”

It does sound like they test well, so probably one of the safer choices right now, even if some of the ingredients are imported.

89. Chuck says:

Valerie on June 6 at 2:29

We see the same thing. People are uninformed and stupid because mostly they just don’t care and don’t want to know.
    The ones who don’t care or don’t want to know, I hope they are not the same ones who will be filling up space on here some day crying about their pets deaths and claiming they wish they had known.
    My wife and I have tried to tell so many. I’m sure a lot of people tried to pass along information. They just don’t want to hear about it. Their heads are filled with ego while they are filling their pets bowls with toxins.

90. Barb says:

I called Puritan’s Pride about a 6 weeks ago and asked specifically if any of their ingredients in their products were from China. The woman told me that the only way she would be able to tell me is if I tell her specifically what product. I told her the multivitamin that we were taking carrying the Puritan Pride label and she looked it up for me and said “yes, there are some ingredients in there from China”. At that point they were willing to do this for their customers, but at some point they may have quit doing it becaues it got to be too time consuming.

>I looked at the Puritan’s Pride website (desparately looking for a source of US sources vitamins) & couldn’t find that their actual ingredients are US. They manufacture here, but do they actually create each vitamin from scratch here? If you have that info, please post so I can maybe find the elusive US-sourced supplement supplier. From what I’ve heard over the last few weeks, almost all vitamins are made in China. The end product may be manufactured here, but the raw ingredients are from there. Here’s a few excerpts from their site that make me wonder:

91. Lorna says:

Valerie said,”While at a store next to a Petsmart I saw many carts going out loaded with Iams, Nutro, Purina,Science Diet…are those people uninformed or just stupid?”

I don’t think it’s as much a case of being stupid,as it is that they don’t know.
    The mainstream press,for the most part,is doing an abysmal job of keeping people informed of what is going on.The stores that I speak to here in Ontario aren’t hearing from the pet food companies anymore so feel there’s no problem.But their eyes get wide when I tell them what I’m treading here and on PC.
    Without the internet and fantastic sites like this one and Petconnection I wouldn’t have a clue either that this was still going on.
    Even vets here are finally beginning to ask me where to find the information I’m passing on about the private test results.Wouldn’t it be nice if we knew the name of the company whose OWN test came back contaminated!
    I have prepared my dogs’/cats’ food(and horses’)without the dreaded grains for years because of illness/deaths I couldn’t explain while feeding commercial brands.But I still need to keep on top of things(thanks Itchmo!)because as we now know it’s not just the pet foods that contain toxic ingredients.Time to expand the garden.

Lorna

92. Lorna says:

I didn’t see an answer to somone’s question about the pets in the picture .Are they pets who have been killed by the poisonous pet foods?
    Very heartbreaking to look into those eyes.

ITCHMO ADMIN: The picture is not of pets that were killed by poisonous pet foods. Sorry for any confusion.

93. Dave says:

There should be no surprise here but we seem unable to accept that a large part of the pet food industry is integral with waste disposal industries. Many pet food operations were initially set up, some more than fifty years ago, by food companies to absorb their internal waste which had high disposal costs. These subsequently became receivers ow waste from other companies. Waste is waste, it doesn’t have the same controls and inspections as food; and it’s evident even human food controls are inadequate. If you look long enough you will find almost anything in pet food. Many manufacturers use purchased rendered animal protein in the form of granualar meal; you’ll find it as a listed ingredient. The company with the name on the package has no way of controlling or tracing what went into this meal or where it came from. Consequently even pentobarbital is found randomly in pet food. Pentobarbital is used to euthenize animals. Pentobarbital tests have been done on pet foods and the data could be found on the FDA website.

94. Jo says:

Where I work, there are way too many cases of UTI and fatigue and of course temps etc….the list goes on and on.
    I am close to going Postal. They do not understand these are not just animals to us.
    Ah, I ahve a stuffed animal that came with a purchase at Christmas and it was cute and sitting on the couch. All our dogs started trying to kill it, not play, but kill it. Guess where it was made. Hubby asked if it was made in China, checked the tag. It sure was. Now I won’t let them have it as it probably has something wrong with it that it is toxic. But, they play with toys, never wanted to act crazy and kill and shred them. Guess they know what killed their fursister and making them feel not so well!!!

95. Zanzie says:

Day by day, my disgust with the pet food industry and the FDA grows . . .

Fortunately, my kitties are now on home-prepared raw food, and doing OK. The still give me a hard time about it to a degree. If I change the ingredients they don’t recognize it as food right away, and my calico really isn’t eating as well as she should. Fortunately, she had some weight to lose when this all started. She doesn’t anymore.

When we came home from vacation over spring break I found my tortie had a belly so bare that I called our caretaker to see whether she had had a medical emergency while we were away. We couldn’t see any reason for it, her vet attributed it to allergies and gave her a cortisone shot. The fur hasn’t grown back, although It seemed to be doing a bit better for a while. We suspect it’s a nervous habit now, since she’s a somewhat skitty kitty, but who knows. This is the first I’ve heard of hair loss associated with cat food, and up until early April she was eating commercial food. I may never know the cause. I just hope it clears up soon.

The other element of this mess that scares me is what lies under the tip of this pet food iceberg. If acetaminophen has gotten into pet food, what the heck has gotten into the acetaminophen and other medications that are produced by these renegades? The pharmaceutical industry in America has very strict standards of production safety. Until this, it was unimagineable to me that we’d have pool chemicals manufactured in the same equipment as over-the-counter medicines. This is just insane. I’ve been in the habit of buying generic acetaminophen at the drug store, Target, etc. I’m going to take a harder look at my own shopping habits now. The folks at McNeil had to recover from the Tylenol tampering mess some years ago. I can’t imagine they’d permit this level of quality control to exist over their own brand today. I think my days of saving a couple of bucks on generic Tylenol are over.

I’ve had a lot of involvement with the big pharma companies over the years, both in my own work, and with family and friends in the industry. The level of attention to production safety has always been of the highest order, in my experience. This incredible lack of concern over human or animal safety by corner-cutting operators is unforgiveable and should be penalized - harshly.

96. Starr says:

Just a heads up - new information i posted on a different thread
    here. We are feeding new food and our cat is suddenly sick again
    after a long while of recovery.
    Just an fyi - to watch for in light of these recent findings.

97. purringfur says:

SHARON said:

Sharon Says:

June 5th, 2007 at 6:07 pm
    ……….

I AM NOT A VET, SO CONSULT WITH YOUR VET…

My dead dog also had the anemia problems, abnormal red cells, high neutrophils, blood clotting problems although it was hard to get any blood samples from his front legs, high liver enzymes, high bilirubin counts, etc. My dog was given an injection of vitamin K. His illness was in January and early February, weeks before the recalls started.

I’m not a vet, so you should ask your own vet this question… My dog was given a vitamin K injection which seemed to help a little. The bilirubin count came back to normal again, which may or may not have been due to the injection. Again, consult with your vet.

98. Helenmary says:

Can someone tell me which foods are now being affected by this?

99. e wem says:

Zanzie and Bonnie. All three of my cats had hair loss that got worse and worse while I was feeding them IAMS wet, Nutro Max Cat, Pounce treats, occasional Natural Balance wet, Diamond, Fancy feast, Wellness, Because one cat escaped and brought back a skin problem last summer (scabies or fungus - I couldnt afford a culture) ththey all caught I thought the hair loss was a return of this problem.

Since last fall thru the recall it got horrible. The hair was in half inch chunks all over, black, white and brown all three cats. They were getting weak and thin. I felt terrible because I was broke, owed a thousand for the summer vet bill. I thought they were dying from the skin problem. A vet was out. I had long before stopped my own meds including the beta blocker.

The week of the recall I was crying. The tortie was getting too weak to walk. I thought age was accelerating the shriveling of my dear Himi. Vomiting. I heard of the recall and threw away all pet food. They got fast food chicken that night. They ate like pigs and lay down so happy I cried. The next day I made them half raw steak. Etc.

The hair stopped falling out after months of fallout. It is shocking how long they were sick - since last year! It was the pet food.

The skin infestation last summer misled me or I might have changed their food sooner. Instead I made sure to give them only ‘the best’ which turned out to be ‘the worst’

Captn’ Carl:
    My dear tortie cat is also named Gizmo. She is the sweetest cat, my best buddie. I almost lost her to recalled IAMs. BY the time of the recall my cats didn’t want to eat the IAMs but I forced it on them because they were sick and IAMs was supposed to be so healthy. I really feel your pain.

I also agree 100 percent with your statement

“To make matters worse, they still have the unmitigated gall to continue with the damned TV Commercials in spite of everything. Never even a whimper of admission or apology for the massive carnage they have wrought!”

I would like to stuff a case of IAMs down their throats.

100. Phyllis says:

I did not have time to read all of the blogs, but here is some basic information to help liver function in pets.

Using Gemmotherapy ( see www.thepetwhisperer.com ), common juniper not only detoxes the kidneys, it drains the lymph system and detoxifies the liver. I will write them and get more information.

As a HUMAN who has had stage IV cancer = in the liver, I was prescribed rye grain and rosemary to support the liver. I am still here after four years, and the spot on my liver is NOT growing. More later.

101. Ruth says:

PurringFur: my pet dog had the same problems you have described. She died March 11,2007 after eating IAMs. She died in 2 1/2 days after getting sick. I strongly believe it was the food.

102. Phyllis says:

From Dr. Blake’s website page: http://www.thepetwhisperer.com/gemmotherapy.html

” For liver related problems, I recommend Juniperus Communis Young Shoots (Juniper): . Young shoots of juniper are active in marked hepatic insufficiency with markedly disturbed laboratory tests. Juniper is the medication for the very deficient liver in the phase of decompensation: jaundice, various types of cirrhosis etc. I recommend a dose of 1 to 5 drops once per day for 6 weeks and then three days per month thereafter for prevention. If I have a chronic hepatitis I continue them until all symptoms are abated and then go to the 3 days per month prevention program.”

from under allergy: Rye Grain is used for any chronic skin conditions to help detox the skin and liver of patients with chronic dermatitis conditions.

Here is what he says about rosemary (the other liver support):

Rosmarinus Officinalis Buds (Rosemary): Action particularly specifically orientated towards the gall bladder. An excellent anti-spasmodic which regularises gall bladder motility. Indicated in minor hepatic insufficiency, biliary dyskinesia with hyper- or hypotonia, biliary colic and chronic cholecystitis. I dose at 1 to 5 drops twice per day until condition is resolved and then once weekly thereafter.

(biliary means bile related. BILE is produced in the LIVER. )

My original cancer was from the colon. I also took and take fig tree, and I give it to my cats now.

Dr. Blake says under gastrointestinal : All Gastrointestinal related disease will be helped by the use of Ficus Carica Buds (Fig). I use it at a dose of 1 to 5 drops one to four times per day as needed for diarrhea or vomiting. I have them give it Fig Tree at feeding time or in food to detox and strengthening the intestinal system.

Lethargy: For weakness of limbs, urinary or fecal incontinence, prostatis and or lethargy I have found Sequoia Gigantea Buds (Sequoia): to be excellent for treating these conditions. I dose at 1 to 5 drops one to four times per day as needed.

(I have not used sequoia myself)

People have mentioned possible internal bleeding. Here is what Dr. Blake says: Tamaris Gallica Buds (Tamarisk): Active on the red cell series, stimulating erythrocyte formation. Indicated in hypochromic anaemia. I use this at a dose of 1 to 5 drops twice per day until anaemia is corrected and then as needed thereafter.

(I take that too as my red blood count hit bottom when I was on chemo. Once I started taking it, I did not have to go in for shots to stimulate red blood cell production :>D )

You can e-mail them at DrBlakeGemmo@aol.com .

I just saw my oncologist yesterday, and was told the PET scan was fine and showed no growth in my tumor in the liver. She also said that my liver function test results were excellent and showed no sign of any disfunction.

103. Phyllis says:

Besides Dolisos (Boiron) spoken of on Dr. Blakes website, UNDA makes gemmotherapy products too.

104. Phyllis says:

I use Dr. Marcus Greaves, (H) 623-582-1815, or Kemps Homeopathic 619-234-2166 Jeanine.

Dr. Blake says:

To order Gemmotherapy I recommend you go through a health professional provider. I recommend you have your veterinarian read the information I have provided and then call Boiron at 1-805-579-2132 and ask to speak with Anne Lamberti to set up an account to order for their practice.

There is at least one place on the web that will sell directly to you.

Gemmotherapy does not interfere with prescription medications (I continued and now continue to take mine). I am not affiliated with any of the companies mentioned, and do not receive any compensation besides the satisfaction of hearing how someone or some pet has been helped.

TESTIMONIAL:

My oncologist at first said things like “Oh, that.” when I mentioned what I was taking after he was amazed (his actual word twice) at my response to chemotherapy. Now he and his NPA ask me every time if I am still taking it and add “keep taking it.”

Gotta run .

105. Dee says:

Has any one used Wellness cat and also kitten food. It is the only premium food left in my town. Pet Supply Plus has stopped selling all other natural foods. Still have Iams, Friskies, etc though. I am unsure of all foods for my cats at this time.

106. LorieVA says:

Lorna and Chuck,

I have to agree with Chuck on the people still buying IAMS, NUTRO, PURINA etc… they just think all us are nuts and it is not affecting them so why listen to crazy old us. I also agree with Chuck that when it happens to them esp any of my friends co workers etc that have told me I am driving them nuts with this and I have to let it go. TO ALL THOSE PEOPLE I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR IT CAUSE I TOLD YOU AND YOU WOULDN”T LISTEN. Just rolled your eyes at me and changed the subject or made the flip remark that it is just a dog or cat and its suppose to die before we do……………..IDIOTS

107. Katie says:

Valerie:

What dog biscuit did you feed that may have caused blood in the urine??

Katie

108. petslave says:

Dee–I haven’t heard anything problematic with Wellness canned cat food, but sounds like there might be problems with the dry now–read all the posts above & other related forums. i was using Wellness canned but stopped with the Menu recall since their canned is made by Menu

109. petslave says:

Has ANYONE sent in any of the Purina products that seem to be causing ongoing problems for months now? –FF, Beneful, etc??

110. TinaB says:

Dee - I have been using Wellness canned all along, although I tried to change to other canned after I found out it was made by Menu, but my cats prefer the Wellness. I have not heard good things about the Wellness dry which they have been changing their formulas a lot lately, so might be very different from before. I use California Natural for dry. You can order whatever you want from Petfooddirct.com if your town doesn’t have what you want.

111. Chuck says:

Lorna 6-6- at 8:06,

Yes there has been information galore, but ask around to see how many people know about the information, who keeps up on it, or how many don’t want to know about it at all. Try telling people who have pets this information and see their re-actions. If you come across some who seem interested, don’t count on them following through with your information.
    The same has been said as I read on these blogs.

My wife approached a nice, young couple in a pet food store recently who were makng a bad choice because they didn’t know anything about the recall. They listened to her intently and with gratefulness in all outward appearances. Then they turned around and reported my wife to the store manager, who then in turn approached my wife and berated her. I consider them to be stupid.
    I consistently believe that it is the people who choose to remain ignorant or egotistical, is what is going to keep the contaminated pet food companies afloat. I’m finding that those people seem to be the majority. who have no interest in the recall. That is sad for the pets.

112. Barb, GSD MOM says:

Chuck,

i work in a mid size law firm and I have told several people about what is going on..some want to hear–but others could care less. Some people think I’m nuts. But the majority are concerned about their pets. I ty and educate them and send them Itchmo’s recall/links.

Oh yes–just found out I am wearing a nice blouse I bought from JC Penny’s and it is made in CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

113. Dee says:

Tina B

Thank you. I like California Natural too. I can’t believe that the pet food store here stopped selling it and now has only the food we know are bad for pets. I am driving one hundred miles on Saturday to get the food I need, but here in town there is only the “junk” foods available.

114. Doug says:

Captn Carl, My vet told me to feed my cat as many scaps as possible, just to go easy on the “high on the food chain” fish. He loves loves to eat bugs, if he would just eat the mice that he catches. Yes, all of this goes on indoors, really do need to fix those screens.

115. martha hoffman says:

What I also want to know, is,
    how much cyanuric acid is in my acetaminophen?

Martha

116. Zanzie says:

e wem -

Thank you for the information on your cats’ hair loss. Foot-Foot had this hair loss right after I changed the kitties’ diet to include Natural Balance. They had already been changed from mostly kibble with a little canned food, to all canned. I thought NB would be a higher quality alternative to 9-Lives, and was alternating the two until using up the remaining 9-Lives in my cupboard. Perhaps the NB was responsible for the problem. She only ate a couple of cans. With the first NB recall, I switched to home-made. (And tossed the Pounce treats).

I also think it’s possible that it is related to stress, since it appeared while we were away on vacation for a week. It’s all in an area that she can reach with her mouth, so I’ve always thought that she licked and chewed the fur off for some reason.

She seems otherwise healthy - good energy, playing fetch with her toys, cuddling, fighting with her sister about as much as normal. I thought the fur was looking a little better, but we’ve had a few days with thunderstorms, and she has been nervous about the sounds of the rain, as well as the thunderboomers. I’ve not seen that in her before, but perhaps the air pressure changes of the remains of “Barry” bothered her more than us. She’s a mystery to me lately. I’ll wait a bit longer before taking her back to the vet for another look.

117. DMS says:

As I posted before, our dog who had extremely elevated liver enzymes also has hair loss–something I had not seen listed as a symptom before. It seems to have stopped falling out, but is not growing back in in some spots. It was literally coming out in tufts-he is a wire hair fox terrier. I was finding them all over the house.

I am once again appalled that the FDA will not release the name of the contaminated pet food. What is going on? I suspect they have known about it and were not going to release the info, using the melamine angle as a distraction. That was bad enough. Now, surely FDA labs must be able to detect acetaminophen if the one in Texas came upon it without even looking specifially for that. But, until people started getting their own food tested, I think the FDA was hoping this thing would go away or be eaten up. Now they have to do something. We have all had enough! Save that pet food, but don’t feed it to the pets. I want the human food tested as well. I’m glad I saved my samples, because now I will ask for Acetaminophen to be screened as well–and whatever else they can find. The FDA is doing a pathetic job of handling this. What are they trying to sweep under the rug? Why the secrecy?

118. Trudy Jackson says:

And while we are all waiting to see what foods are poisen, our pets are dying. They need to get off their ass.

119. YaYa says:

DMS, the hair thing was one of the strange issues my Cat had too {amongst other things}.
    She’s just now starting to have some grow back very slowly, Her behavior and activites are pretty much back to normal now. {thank goodness}

The hair issue still makes me think of maybe- lead or metals, besides/along with some of the other factors we’ve been dealing with here, in the foods.

120. Trudy Jackson says:

I have one cat that We all think has a mental disorder. she just goes about the house and does strang things. this started this year. she is missing a little hair off her head. does any of this sound familiar? Let Me know what you think?

121. mare says:

Message to Sharon: What do you feed your cat and/or dog that both would be able to share? Immediately find another food to use, also, Itchmo has posted link for help with med costs: http://www.itchmo.com/read/pet.....p_20070410

Sharon Says:
    June 5th, 2007 at 6:07 pm

Sharon Says:
    June 5th, 2007 at 5:30 pm

122. Trudy Jackson says:

check this out-
    hope it works

123. DogBoston's DogBlog | Dog Friendly Blog and News for Boston Dogs and Owners says:

[…] Itchmo reports that the fifth foreign chemical/substance to be discovered has been identified as Acetaminophen (generic form of Tylenol). […]

124. tylamarius says:

125. Phyllis says:

Lorie — yeah, I hear that from my kids, but I e-mail the ones with pets the latest, and I e-mailed ALL of them about the toothpaste and the GM rice fiasco. “a prophet hath no fame in his own country!”

126. Chuck says:

Barb Gsd Mom, 6-6 at 5:41 Good of you to do that, and you experienced two things that my wife and I have been experiencing for months with literally dozens of people, unknown and known to us, and the known people have always claimed that they love their pets being a main topic of their conversation.
    You exeperienced the same:
    1. the ones who could care less and some think we are nuts
    2. the ones who will listen but don’t expect them to take heed. If some or one does, all well and good. You did the best you could.
    My wife made copies with lots of pet food information about the crap they have, I passed them out at work. The best part is, I work in a hospital with a lot of people who have animals and the articles meant nothing to them.

Sam 6-6 at 5:54 I ask myself that all the time: why are some people on here still asking the same questions about Purina, Beneful, and the rest of them. Do they want approval or what?

Someone on here suggested having a poll about how many will go back to buying the same brands. Good idea, but as we can see, some haven’t even stopped buying the same brands that have lines on the recall. They keep ignoring the toxins that are found time and time again through the articles and reports bloggers have put on here. What the heck does it take already?
    For the amount of bloggers on here who insist on feeding their pets crap despite all the information, I think we can safely say that they speak for the rest of the country who will continue to keep those crap companies afloat. As time passes, then there will be an endless stream of crying comments on here from those same pet owners who had all the advanced warning in the world.

127. Captn' Carl says:

Here is something for anyone who is determined to make a clean break from the toxic so called “Pet Food’ that is all too easy to buy and feed to our best friends.

It is time to stop cheating our pets by taking the easy way out and further jeopardizing their lives.

The recommendations and recipes found in this reference are both much safer and more nutritional than any of the tainted and poisonous slop on the market.

I picked up a copy of this book at the local Wild Oats store in Hinsdale IL. It is the paperback edition and sells for $18.95.

The book is entitled: Dr. Pitcairn’s Complete Guide to Natural health for Dogs
    & Cats.

There are sections on all manner of things relating to nutrition, home made pet food, diseases, and anything and everything relating to cats and dogs. This is an excellent all around pet owner’s manual with useful information on every page. The recipes are the most important feature at this point in time.

The beauty of these recipes is that you can add or delete ingredients and supplemental vitamins at your discretion. There are no hard and fast “rules”, and it is pointed out that there are many variations on the recipes offered.

So if you’re really serious about taking the best possible care of your best friends, I strongly recommend this book. The supplements mentioned are easily found at Wild Oats, or local health food stores. The meats and basics for the recipes are also easily found at the local supermarket and are the same foods that we eat.

Enough about is Beneful or Purina or Iams still ok to feed my pets…..HELL NO IT IS NOT! None of the commercially prepared slop is fit for consumption by anything but a hazardous material landfill!

Do the right thing by your pets. That is what they have always done for you! You won’t be sorry! A little extra work by you now will insure your pets a long and healthy life in addition to adding more joy when you watch them really enjoying their meals for a change.

Captn’ Carl

Trudy — this could be heavy metal toxification — mercury, cadmium etc. My daughter had hair loss after the family got an intestinal parasite of some type. (doctors never figured it out) This daughter also was exposed to mercury about a year after that. She is still having problems with neuromuscular symptoms and thin hair that has not grown back. Gemmotherapy is helping her detox and Acupuncture helps with the neuro problems. She still suffers greatly from lethargy, spending most days in a recliner. She has been told everything from its all in her head, to severe fibromyalgia. She even got tested for myasthenia gravis, ALS and muscular sclerosis!

129. Phyllis says:

Trudy — Anonymous was really me. I forgot to put my name in.

130. Phyllis says:

Sharon — have you looked at thepetwhisperer.com/gemmotherapy site? I take tamarisk to keep my red blood count up — it works so well that while on chemo I only had two shots for building the red blood count. I saw the oncologist two days ago and she says all my blood work is great!

She likely has a food sensitivity or allergy. Many cats are allergic to milk, corn, wheat etc.

Also, for the bleeding from the stomach, try using digestive enzyme and pro-biotic enhanced food. (Innova Evo is one) There are several on the market. This approach has helped me a lot as I had a big problem with all milk products. So much so, that I hemorrhaged several times before my colon surgery. Now, I use Maxi-Gest or Omnigest (digestive enzymes) for unknown foods (church potlucks :>D ) and lactaid (digestive enzyme for milk). BUT with the pro-biotics added, I now use 1/2 lactaid ultra for things like possible milk in bread or cookies, to one or one and a half for something like a cup of frozen yogurt.

Also, are we praying for our pets? I certainly prayed over Purr-Purr and it helped us both. She knew I loved her, and I was comforted that I was doing all I knew to do. I held her close and prayed for her. I believe the animals are on this earth for beauty, and to teach us many lessons. We are learning compassion in our suffering over them, and while it is hard for us, it will have its rewards. We are also learning service and gentleness. Since we are told in the Bible to “pray over our flocks and fields” I think it is totally appropriate to pray over God’s fur-angels that he has put right here among us.

Purr-Purr helped me heal of cancer by laying with me whenever I came home from chemo. She would crawl right into the bed, something she did not do otherwise, and lay next to me the whole night! I only wish I could have been wiser than feeding her commercial pet food. My son’s cat ate the same food, and did not get sick, but just slowed down some. Now she and the new cat get Innova EVO and organic canned, plus the gemmo products mentioned above.

God bless you Sharon, and your fur-babies.

131. Karen V says:

“tylamarius Says:

June 7th, 2007 at 12:26 am
    THIS IS REALLY STARTING TO PISS ME OFF .. I can’t believe they will not release the names of the products concerned. So .. we are just supposed to continue to feed our animal(s) (possibly) this food and then suffer the consequences … I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS CRAP .. I’ve gone almost completely to HOMEMADE food for our three dogs. But have to admit sometimes I “MIX” with Science Diet Prescription and/or Pedigree .. and of course NOW I am petrified that those products could be the concerned ones !! Two of our dogs already have liver problems (one from age and one from tick fever) .. and the other a kidney problem.”

Well, that would be hard now - since they removed that reference from the article online.

132. Captn' Carl says:

Karen V

I sympathize with you wholeheartedly. We were doing the same (mixing home made with occasional remnants of the original prescription Science Diet k/d) and holding our breath hoping that that would not show up on the list. Well…no more waiting….based on what we’ve seen so far of their willingness to divulge which additional brands are also affected…..why take a chance with any of them? None of them are trustworthy!

We have about 3 bowl fill-ups left of the science diet k/d for our dogs, and about the same amount left in dry food also for our remaining cats. The remaining pets (We lost our Calico Cat GIZMO on March 11th) are all symptom free, and were all checked out at considerable expense just to make sure. Their dry food is left out all day for them to nibble at.

We are making and feeding homemade “wet” food now and have been for over a month.
    Once this dry food is gone, we will make our own dry food as well. To hell with all of the manufacturers, the FDA and those in the know who refuse to divulge the potentially life saving information. They have no intention of potentially losing any more money over this situation, no matter how many more pets they kill.

Drop all commercially prepared food like the plague that it is!

Other than the distinct possibility (or rather very high probability) that those responsible for divulging the newest affected brands are directly involved as stockholders or corporate executives for those brand names; there is no reason to withhold that information even for a second considering all that has transpired and is quite likely to continue.

This would not be the first time that a “conflict of interest” existed in this country, nor will it be the last.

Continue with the home made food for your dogs and once your prescription food is gone, let that be the end of it! Sure your vet will miss his 45-50% Markup each time you fail to purchase the special ”Prescription Only” food from him….but…..that’s too bad!

Let someone else feel the pinch for a change. Much better than losing another pet to the greed of these unscrupulous businessmen!

Stick by your guns with this one…you are right!

Captn’ Carl

133. GreenChick says:

I really want to know when they are going to identify the brands found to contain acetaminophen. As soon as they do I will be posting them on my blog. Thanks for spreading the word. This should really be getting more air time. I have some vet recommended menu suggestions and am no longer buying packaged pet food.

134. Captn' Carl says:

Hi Sam

You make a good point (several good points as a matter of fact) with the Hills Science Diet ingredients.

You must remember that the use of these ingredients has been accepted for years. This is not the first time that these products have been questioned, but it is by far under the most tragic and unforgivable of circumstances.

The pet food industry as has been pointed out in an earlier enlightening post is an off shoot of the waste disposal industry. These companies are recyclers of the byproducts of slaughter houses, chicken ranches and other such glamorous industries.

I remember when in the military outside the rear of the mess hall were two different sets of trash cans (right next to the grease trap). They were labeled edible and inedible.
    Now: That is what was with the byproducts of human consumption. Where they went from there is anybody’s guess. I always suspected that they were loaded on a truck and delivered around to the front door again (but that’s my opinion of Army food).

If you look closely at the ingredients that you have pointed out, you can well imagine the circumstances under which they were rendered as well as the sterile and germ free environment they were handled in as well. Right! Tell me another one.

It is no wonder that our pets have all kinds of sickness, mysterious illnesses, allergies, bladder stones, diseases and the lot. It has been said you are what you eat. Nuff’ said here.

In short: Almost everything that is in the commercially prepared so called “food” that we have been feeding our pets for years is laced with decomposing, putrescent and very objectionable byproducts from slaughtered, sick and diseased animals that were slaughtered in unsanitary and filthy deplorable conditions.

People need a wake up call. These are not the kinds of pleasant things that people dwell on while enjoying a thick steak at their favorite restaurant; however, when they fork out a serving of this rotten and contaminated so called “food” to their beloved pets, these things similarly never enter their minds.

Why? That’s a good question. The pet food industry spends millions in advertising using the best models, finest crystal glassware, and most inviting backgrounds and scenery available to portray the image of wholesome and delicious food for our best friends.

Yes PORTRAY! All of these commercials are professionally produced and edited portrayals of things that do not really exist. That is why people continue to place their trust in these liars and thieves. People are conditioned on a daily basis through constant repetition that these are the finest and best products anywhere for their pets.

I worked for a short time as a “studio mechanic”, part of the motion picture industry, and worked on a couple of commercials for TV. Unbelievable the tricks of the trade that are used to portray something as something else. Very clever, very good, highly successful!

The heads of most families both work to make ends meet and provide a better life for their families. They do not have the time to go into detail checking out the validity and truthfulness of everything that is touted on TV. The manufacturers know this and by portraying their products in such a great light, one would be a fool not to believe them and use the products.

People are indeed brainwashed by what the repeatedly hear and see on TV. The more something is repeated, the more it is believed. This is not new technology. Hitler used what was called the “Big Lie” successfully for years. It is merely repeated again here. If something worked well once, it will work again. People are creatures of habit.

These companies still use these ingredients because no one has ever questioned their use of them, nor has anyone ever tried to stop them. There have been hundred of articles written by and about these practices but nothing changes.

Perhaps your diligence as well as the postings of everyone else concerned may just make a difference this time around!

I applaud your efforts as well as everyone else in this group, and mourn with everyone as well. We have all lost members of our families to this nightmare.

We need to stick together as an unstoppable group and force changes to occur in spite of big business, corporate bullies in boardrooms, hoards of greedy shareholders and ineffective government regulation and enforcement.

This is a definite start. The Ernest Borgnine Video is an excellent way of getting our message across. Let’s all hope for the sake of our beloved and sorely missed pets that this actually causes some positive changes that will benefit all pets everywhere.

And as they say: The right man for the job: Jay Edelson is a man among men to take up this valiant cause and bring those responsible for these criminal actions to account for their actions. I applaud him and his firm as well as all other participants in this litigation across the country and Canada.

C aptn’ Carl

135. christy says:

I am so thankful for your blog. I have a beloved cat named Noonie, who was eating the recalled iams gravy crap! She had blood work done and is fine. I though dry food was ok. so I have been feeding her purina fancy feast dry food! I have seens many post about purina FF but it does’t say if its wet or dry? Can anyone please help me find a food for her! She will not eat any human food. Only dry kibble and seems to like the fancy feast ocean flavor. I am terrified and she is out of food! I even tried canned tuna, which I hear was dangerous for cats, and she wouldn’t touch it! Has anyone heard of pet’s promise (all natural) pet food?
    I couldn’t find it at the petco. What about canidae food (for cats)? I am desperate!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

136. YaYa says:

Christy, I started to use PetPromise back in March. As the Recalls grew {and after a couple of days using it} I found out it is a PURINA product,{they won’t tell you it’s a Nestles-Purina product unless pushed hard}.
    And when I called they could Not tell me where the supplements came from.
    Promised to call me back but never did for that.

This signed it OFF for me, as I believe the prevous Friskies {Nestles-Purina} canned had something to do with my Cat becoming sick.

I now make Homemade Wet and use KumpiKat dry.

Go to petfoodlists.com {hope thats right} or the Forums here to check out other Foods you could try.

ItchmoForums.com

137. Christy says:

thanks so much for the valuable information!!! I will not get pet promise!!! I am looking into a food called solid gold…http://solidgoldhealth.com/news/. The website says it’s does not use menu foods to produce any solid food and assures no harm will come to your pets. I found some at the local health food store called wild oats, but haven’t feed it to my baby as of yet. Does anyone know about this company. I was concerned about the brown rice, since it was linked to another “natural line” called “Natural balance”,which was linked to a suppplier named wilbur-ellis. I pray that this one is safe. The russian roulette game is getting old!!! I am at witts end and Pray that all of the animals will be saved from this toxic
    maddness!!!

138. Sam says:

Hello Kim and Board,

Thanks for your input. Here’s what happened when I called:

I have just called life’s abundance and I was told that their is no one named vicky who works there. I didn’t like the rep I spoke with, she was very cold and unhelpful. I asked about the absoulute fact that one of their foods (which is not named on pettracker.com) is made by menu food’s and she was dumb founded. She was looking at the ingredients and saying “no I don’t see it”. How studpid can you get! I just said never mind and hung up. I want to order the dry food but don’t know which product is made by menu. I’m thinking that its the wet food, but not sure. I see that the rest of the food is manufactured at ohio pet foods.

I don’t know what to do…I don’t want to buy food from a company that has ever been or the recall list, and now I’m afraid to buy food that is NOT on the recall list, since the new toxin (acetaminophen) is said to be in food not on the list of recalled pet food!!!!!!!!!!! INSANITY!!!! I have been feeding her starkiss tuna in water and the rest of her purina one hairball formula, which is almost gone. I’m stalling getting new food in hopes of some information from the new toxic findings!!! Not like we are going to get a straight answer!!! I have seen so many foods proven toxic and NEVER REPORTED OR ACKNOWLEDGED by the company!!!!!! For anyone who is intersted here is a great site to see this information and is a real eye opener!!!

Also, I was going to buy a food called solid gold until I saw it was manufactured by Diamiond, which is linked to many recalled recently!!! What do you all think? It’s a food that is supposed to be human quality. I’m thinking the food ingredients can be human quality, but the place it is manufactured can contaminate the food and make it lethal!!! Is this a logical rational?

I hope this info is helpful to you all.

Sincerely,
    Christy

ps. has anyone heard anything new about the acetaminophen laced food?

139. Sam says:

Hello Christy,
    It’s me Sam, I spoke to Vicki a little while ago. She told me she is only an
    independent rep for HealthyPetNet which makes Life’s Abundance.
    She offers the food on her site [REDACTED BY ADMIN]

She told me that none of their products have EVER been on a recall list but that the canned cat food is produced in a menu facility. NOT the one where the recalled foods were made. According to her and some of the e-mails she sent me all of the other products are porduced at Ohio foods. She assured me that Dr. Jane Bicks (the product formulator) maintains very strict guidelines for any facility manufacturing her foods.

I have been feeding my cats the canned and the dry since March and would reccommend them without hesitation.

Vicki also told me that if you wanted to contact her directly via the contact page on her site, to avoid cold and unhelpful customer service in the future she would love to help you herself. Like I said earlier, she is very kind and helpful to me.

Good Luck!
    Sam

ITCHMO ADMIN: Readers: This post is written by Vicki who pretended to be someone else to promote her product. Vicki, please do not engage in this kind of deception. We have seen dozens of posts from HealthyPetNet reps posting on this site, pretending to be customers. We have no problems with people who clearly identify their conflicts of interest.

You are damaging the reputation of your product and the company you are trying to promote. If you want to talk about your product, clearly represent yourself as a rep or a reseller. We are temporarily banning all references to your company due to the poor conduct of people like you.

140. Captn' Carl says:

Hi Sam

Your latest post explains why my reply to your earlier post was never answered. Follow the money!

141. Captn' Carl says:

Hat’s off to the Itchmo Admin. No nonsense Individual(s). Very well stated!

142. Christy says:

Jesus! I am not happy with the fake “sam” email!!! I also was researching the company and found some disturbing information. I have found this information at this website:

First off: This compant is a MLM (multi level marketing)!!! This tells me that they are all about the business and not the Pets!!! Soooo SAD!

Secondly:
    I also read that it contains (if you look closely. . . D/L Methionine) Menadione (Vitamin K3) in the ingredients!!! Which is banned in Europe!!!

Here is what I found on a website about Menadione:
    One of the more obscure ingredients found in many pet foods are menadione derivatives - in the form of menadione sodium bisulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite, menadione dimethylprimidinol sulfate, menadione dimethylprimidinol sulfite or menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite, often listed as “a source of vitamin K activity” or “vitamin K supplement”. Unless otherwise noted, these compounds are summarily referred to as “menadione” in this article to make it easier to read.

Watch out:
    Some manufacturers leave out the “menadione” part of the above chemical names in their ingredient lists (e.g. you see only “dimethylprimidinol sulfate” listed instead of “menadione dimethylprimidinol sulfate”), and menadione does not only occur in dry and canned foods, but edible chew toys, supplements and treats as well.

Thoroughly research any item with an ingredient list that claims a “source of vitamin K”, “source of vitamin K activity” or “vitamin K” in parentheses and contact the manufacturer if you have any questions.

What is it?

Menadione, also known as vitamin K3, is a synthetic version of vitamin K. The natural occuring compounds are vitamin K1 (Phylloquinone, from plant sources) and Vitamin K2 (Menaquinone, synthesized by bacteria in the digestive tract and absorbed by the body). Technically menadione isn’t even a vitamin, but a precursor that is converted in the body after ingestion. Natural vitamin K is fat soluble, while menadione derivatives (pure menadione can not be processed) are water soluble and bypass the natural pathway of utilization by the body.

Why is it added to pet food?

Menadione is added as an inexpensive vitamin K supplement in commercial foods. The common statement as to why it is added is “to help with blood clotting”, yet it is scientifically proven that the effectivity of menadione on blood clotting is inferior. Even veterinarians will administer vitamin K1 as an antidote to dogs who have for example ingested rat poison, which causes internal bleeding.

Manufacturers who use menadione in their products also like to claim that it is “more stable” than natural vitamin K and has “more nutritional value”. Not a single one of them has acknowledged the scientifically proven side effects of this substance.

It is simple to come to a conclusion about the truth in these statements when you consider that

not all pet food companies add menadione to their foods and dogs have eaten these products for years without developing deficiencies
    the National Research Council was not able to demonstrate a dietary requirement for vitamin K in dogs during tests when natural ingredients were fed and
    fish meals, liver and green plant supplements (e.g. alfalfa, kelp and other seaweed, nettle leaf, blue-green algae, spirulina) are rich sources of natural vitamin K.
    Why is it bad?

As a non-native speaker (German is my native language), it has been difficult for me to compose this article in English, since I had to translate most of my information from literature originally written in German. My search for relevant, unbiased sources in English was not very successful, with exception of some obscure references and texts that provided some information but do not include all the facts. There were also many articles written by authors who didn’t even have the basic knowledge to differentiate between vtiamin K1, K2 and K3.

Here is a list of negative effects of menadione on the body. It is incomplete, since my English medical terminology is lacking and I was simply not able to translate the more complicated scientific phrases into proper English:

causes cytotoxicity in liver cells
    causes formation of radicals from enzymes of leucocytes, with the consequence of cytotoxic reactions
    considerably weakens the immune system
    possible mutagenic effects
    damages the natural vitamin K cycle
    has no effect on coumarin derivatives, which are often present in commercial food due to mold contamination (toxic when ingested)
    causes hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia, not just linked to large doses
    disturbs the level of calcium ions (Ca2+) in the body, which is an important factor fibrinolysis
    is directly toxic in high doses (vomiting, albuminuria), unlike natural vitamin K
    builds up in tissue and has been detected in eggs, meat and milk of animals supplemented with menadione derivatives
    causes irritation of skin and mucous membranes
    causes allergic reactions and eczema

here is the link: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/.....=menadione

Many Thanks to the Ichmo Admin.

143. Phyllis says:

Christy — I teach ESL, and I say you did an EXCELLENT JOB above. Thanks for the info! I am checking my pet foods AND our vitamins

144. Christy says:

Hello All You pet lovers,

I just wanted to inform everyone that I did check with the life’s abundance company and they have discontinued the dangerous additive menadione Vitamin K3, which is a huge relief! I checked the ingredients and didn’t find it listed as well. I know that it at one time was in the food, but according to the company it not longer is. I would recommend checking other foods for this to be on the safe side.

Hope all is well with all of your beautiful babies..

145. Christy says:

I also wanted to say that I accidentally thought that D/L Methionine was a form of the dangerous Vitamin K3 (has many names including Menadione); so I did some research and found out that it is an amino acid not the K3: Thank goodness!!

Here is what I found:

DL-Methionine
    Methionine (dL-Methionine) is a sulfur-containing amino acid obtained by the hydrolysis of most common proteins.

Methionine is a principle supplier of sulfur which prevents disorders of the hair (promotes hair growth), skin and nails. It helps lower cholesterol levels by increasing the liver’s production of lecithin, reduces liver fat, and protects the kidneys.

dl-methionine is a chelating agent for heavy metals. It regulates the formation of ammonia and creates ammonia-free urine which reduces bladder irritation.

dl-methionine is an essential amino acid which serves as a urinary acidifier (great for cats uriniary tract health).

Is added to cat foods to create acidic urine (to help prevent Urinary tract problems, sort of like cranberry juice for humans). In our dog foods, the meat supplies sufficient amounts.

Just wanetd to clear that up. Hope this helps.

Thanks

146. Christy says:

Has anyone heard anymore about any pet food recalls? I found this piece of information below and wanted to get peoples opinions on it…..

Reports came out this week from a Texas Lab that found pain medicine in pet food. What’s next? Now the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is investigating the labs findings of acetaminophen in dog and cat food. The brands that contained the pain medicine were NOT included in the 150 Menu Brand pet foods already recalled.

Now, I don’t want to buy anything on the recall list and also nothing that is not on the recall list!!!

What are we supposed to do with this info???? I wonder if they mean its now dry food, instead of wet food that was recalled?

147. Christy says:

148. Update On Consumers Testing For Toxins In Cat And Dog Food | Itchmo says:

[…] are familiar with Don Earl and his cat, Chuckles, who died in December of sudden kidney failure. Determined to find some answers on Chuckles’s food, he found a private lab to conduct tests on his cat’s food at his own expense. “If anything comes out of this, it’s going […]

149. Acetaminophen » Blog Archive » Arthritis Pain - How to Avoid Accidental Acetaminophen Poisoning says:

[…] ExperTox, a Texas lab, found acetaminophen (the fifth contaminant) in at least five samples of pet food that were submitted by pet owners and pet manufacturers. The medication was mostly found with cyanuric acid, and hundreds of other … …more […]

150. Fibromyalgia: A Real Disease? Yes! Its Not In Your Head! | 7Wins.eu says:

[…] us on fibromyalgia@fibromyalgia-information-relief.com [12] Sites you may be interested in Texas Lab Finds Acetaminophen In Pet Food | Itchmo: News For Dogs & CatsBipolar Supporter Blog ? Blog Archive ? Am I a fraud? My goal for bipolar disorderStop The Thyroid […]