The weather is getting warmer and it’s time to hit the high seas. For those of you who have dogs that like the water, here are some safety tips for taking your dog on a boat.
1) If your dog is new to a boat, take it slow and allow him to get accustomed to the movement of the boat. If he is too scared, then he may not be a sea dog.
2) Consider getting your dog a personal flotation device.
3) Monitor the deck’s temperature because the boat surface can get really hot for your dog’s paws.
4) Make sure there is a shaded area for your dog to get out of the sun and that there is plenty of fresh water for him to drink.
5) If you have fishing gear on the boat, make sure that this is out of your dog’s way.
6) If your dog is smaller and has problems getting into the boat, consider getting a pet ramp for your boat.
Have fun and enjoy the sea and the sunshine! And don’t let your dog hog the captain’s wheel!