Top Ten Items Surgically Removed From Pets

wii remoteOur pets are sure curious, and their curiosity can definitely get them into trouble sometimes. Especially when they swallow something they shouldn’t have. Have you ever had to have something surgically removed from your pet?

Here are the top ten most common items surgically removed from pets, according to Veterinary Pet Insurance:

  1. Socks
  2. Underwear
  3. Panty Hose
  4. Rocks
  5. Balls
  6. Chew Toys
  7. Corn Cobs
  8. Bones
  9. Hair Ties/Ribbons
  10. Sticks

Other frequently ingested objects include nails, sewing needles and nipples from baby bottles. But VPI has also received medical records for pets that have swallowed pagers, hearing aids, drywall, snail bait, batteries, rubber bands, toy cars, and sand with bacon grease poured on it.

“It’s no secret that cats are curious and dogs like to chew on things,” said Dr. Carol McConnell, vice president and chief veterinary medical officer for VPI. “Unfortunately, those traits can motivate pets to chew on, bite, or swallow items they shouldn’t. Some of these objects will pass naturally, but others have a tendency to become lodged in pets’ gastrointestinal tracts, resulting in pain, vomiting, or internal injury. In those cases, surgery may be a necessity.”

The best thing pet owners can do to prevent costly foreign body removal surgery is keep a clean living space. This includes making sure that personal items are not left on the floor or within easy reach of pets and remaining aware of each pet’s chewing tendencies. Certain objects may appeal more to some pets than others. Knowledge of a pet’s tastes and tendencies can help pet owners exercise caution when letting a pet near objects that could be accidentally swallowed. Also remember that table scraps can contain excessive grease, bones or other objects not easily digested by pets.

“Most of these incidents occur without the pet owner’s knowledge,” said McConnell. “Pets can get anxious if left alone and start chewing on objects to relieve boredom or stress. Never ignore the signs that a pet may have swallowed something inedible: continual vomiting, dry heaving and/or coughing. If these symptoms occur, your pet should be examined by a veterinarian.”

7 Responses to “Top Ten Items Surgically Removed From Pets”

  1. Nell Liquorman says:

    I have owned cats for more than 20 years and never had a problem with any swallowing the odd object. After adopting two feral kittens, I have learned a bit. The large male, now at 14 pounds, coughed and brought up a Q-tip. While I could hardly believe my eyes, now I know that with some cats you take extra precautions.

  2. furmom says:

    Never had to have anything surgically removed from a pet. But one very young puppy excreted a sewing pin which I had no idea had gone in. Then there’s my Golden Garburator, not a breed for the faint of heart. He has “processed” plastic bags, socks, underwear,hocolate bars with wrapper, and whole chicken legs when they were almost as large as he was, and cumulatively tons of kleenex. All our cats had far more sense than to eat stupid stuff.

  3. G in INdiana says:

    My Swissie coughed up a greenie. I never let him have another.

  4. ryssee says:

    One of mine ate part of the artificial christmas tree last year. Not gonna have one this year! Also, every week she chews apart the latest issue of Sports Illustrated.

  5. Nora and Rufus says:

    Our little 9 month old rescue pup (Irish Jack Russell and Blue Heeler cross) swallowed a large treble fish hook when my boyfriend took her up north on a weeklong lake vacation and his family was on a Pontoon Boat. After being misdiagnosed by a vet who was in the small town on the lake, the vet said” No fish hook, take her home,” after charging for an xray of the stomach and digestive track and doling out nausea pills. She still acted quite distressed, so she was rushed 3 hours to our hometown and after an X ray by one of our local vets of her esophogus, she was rushed into emergency surgery on her esophogus. That hook was HUGE and I just don’t understand how some vet could have missed it hooked into her little throat!!!!! I stayed up with her all night post surgery praying she would not die. That little girl was in terrible shape. That was the last week in September and now she is her old self again leaping about like a kangaroo!!!!

  6. Paula says:

    Last Memorial day weekend my 1 yr. old toy poodle, Angie, became very ill. She was rushed to the emergency hospital. After taking x-rays they told me she had “coins” in her belly. She required surgery to remove them. She had eaten 3 dimes! Cost me $500 per dime! She also likes to eat socks & underwear, and the corners of my bed sheets.

  7. Tom says:

    Our Doberman swallowed a sewing needle and had to be brought into the emergency vet since these things never happen on weekdays during regular visit hours-luckily the needle passed through her without need of surgery–the two day stay while waiting for the “special delivery” and treatment for the dobe came to about $500–not the best way to spend a weekend.


Close
E-mail It