Vet Treats Cat High On Cocaine

CatA cat in Sydney was taken to a veterinarian because she was high on cocaine and benzodiazepines.

The eight-month-old Himalayan cat was brought to the animal clinic with dilated pupils, a racing heart, and was overall highly agitated. The owner said the cat had trouble walking and was easily startled.

The cat was pacing incessantly and was so anxious that the veterinarian could not take the cat’s temperature or take any blood to do testing.

The owners was uncertain why his cat was acting this way. The man was adamant the cat had not been exposed to toxic plants, bad food or drugs. Although he did admit to accidentally locking the cat in the cupboard overnight.

Without any medical information, the veterinarians decided to talk to the owner’s wife. She admitted the cat could have licked “plates of cocaine”, which had been served at a dinner party two days earlier.

A drug screen revealed that the cat also had benzodiazepines in its system.

The cat’s embarrassed owner was “remorseful”. Since there is no legal requirement in Australia for veterinarians to reports cases like these to the authorities, he was simply counseled and was able to take his cat home.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

11 Responses to “Vet Treats Cat High On Cocaine”

  1. Amanda says:

    I read about this earlier today and was so angry. Pete Doherty(spelling?) the guy Kate Moss keeps going back to also had his little kitten taken to the vet and drugs were found in its bloodstream

    http://celebritytalesbydog.blo.....-head.html

  2. Bane says:

    I remember that story….the a@@hole media reporting it seemed to think it was hilarious. Very irresponsible reporting, to take something like this lightly. The animal was suffering. What’s so funny about that?

  3. nora says:

    Another poor kitty that has been a victim of stupidity on it’s owners part. So sad.

  4. 2CatMom says:

    Would the media find it funny if it were a baby with cocaine in his system or an animal that had gotten into RX meds?

  5. kaefamily says:

    There are families who serve alcoholic beverages to babies and toddlers for the adult’s entertainment!

  6. Lynn says:

    Pathetic that Australia doesn’t have laws that mandate veterinarian reporting. Even still, I suppose there is no reason why a vet couldn’t voluntarily notify the authorities. Surely Australia has animal cruelty laws, don’t they?

    Where are these humans’ heads at? [Never mind. I know.]

  7. Traci says:

    “Where are these humans’ heads at? [Never mind. I know.]”

    —————————————————————————-

    “This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs…”

  8. KarlaSanDiego says:

    This is horrific! It’s animal abuse pure and simple!

  9. mittens says:

    sounds like life with a tortie not on drugs…..

    i’ve known people to give drugs to their children just because they thought it was funny to see some 5 year old wigged out. ive known people who dosed their 80 year old unsuspecting grandparents with lsd.

    nothing idiot humans do surprises me in the least any more. if their children ate off those plates and got all f’d up they’d probably try he same shill on the doctor. absolutely shameless. it really is negligence and abuse.

    not that my cats can say no to drugs anyway-i have to lock up the nip in the highest cabinet and theyve been known to attack bags of peppermint with the same ferocity. kitty likes to party….and we wonder why they lie around all day-it’s really because theyre out snorting lines and boozing all night. bad kitty!

  10. MaineMom says:

    “…could have licked plates of cocaine served at a dinner party two nights before…”! And we wonder what’s going wrong with society besides the toxins in our foods? Sick? Yes. Both literally and physically!

  11. Rocker’s Cat Forced To Smoke Crack Cocaine | Itchmo: News For Dogs & Cats says:

    […] problem of animals on drugs isn’t limited to this one instance. We reported on a story of a vet treating a cat addicted to cocaine in Australia. And The Sun claims that in the US, “crack squirrels are a recognized problem in New York and […]


Close
E-mail It