Waggin’ Train/ADI Assures Customers Chicken Jerky Treats For Dogs Are Safe

Waggin TreatsADI, the manufacturer of Waggin’ Train brand of treats, sent Itchmo this statement this morning in regards to their pet treats:

Is chicken jerky the issue or feeding too much the problem?

ADI Pet Anderson, SC – September 26, 2007 –

In response to a statement issued by the FDA regarding the potential association between over feeding chicken jerky in general and the reported 70 complaints of dogs having illnesses like diarrhea and vomiting, Jerry Peters, President of ADI Pet, Inc. issued the following statement:

“As Dog lovers ourselves, ADI Pet understands how this summer’s pet food recalls have created a greater sense of concern about pet foods in general. This concern for safety, in some cases, may be a contributing factor to overfeeding treats and more specifically healthy treats like chicken jerky that is high in protein and low in fat rather than maintaining a balanced diet with a dog food that would provide a dog the total daily nutritional needs.

“Most of the complaints that have been reported to ADI are from dog owners who have far exceeded the acceptable norm of treat feeding, generally considered only 5% of the dogs’ daily intake. If Dog owners have reviewed chicken jerky ingredients they may feel that a diet of predominately of chicken jerky is a suitable substitute for Dog Food and of course that is not appropriate.

“ADI Pet manufactures the Waggin’ Train Brand of treats using facilities and safety protocols for human food preparation so that the highest quality can be maintained for our pets. In addition, our treats have been tested extensively by FDA as well as third party laboratories and Waggin’ Train has not had a single incident of any contamination including; E coli, salmonella, heavy metals, melamine, and numerous other chemical contaminants. Waggin’ Train Brand was founded on delivering natural, meat-based treats that dogs love and has a history of providing safe treats without EVER having a single recall or contamination over its five year history of selling millions of pounds of Waggin’ Train Brand Chicken Jerky Treats providing healthy snacks to over 7 million dogs daily.

“Here are the facts about Waggin’ Train Brand Treats:

• Waggin’ Train brand is manufactured using human-grade food standards.
• Waggin Train Chicken Jerky is continuously tested by independent laboratories that are highly reputable and conducting the food safety testing for KFC, McDonalds, Red Bull, Coca-Cola, and P&G, to name a few.
• In the five year history of the company, Waggin’ Train has never experienced a single incident of chemical or bacterial contamination.
• The FDA has informed ADI/Waggin Train that it conducted stringent tests (heavy metals, antibiotics, Aflotoxin, melamine, e.coli, etc) on Waggin’ Train chicken jerky and found zero contaminants.
• An all natural, high protein, low fat treat like Waggin’ Train Brand chicken jerky is a healthy way to add treats to a dog’s daily diet, but should not be substituted as a meal and especially should not be given as a primary food to sick dogs because it is simply more palatable.

“The concern caused by premature reporting has alarmed the many dog owners who have come to trust our product safety and who feed their dogs appropriately. We are the market leader for this type of product, so of course we are pained by the fact that many pet owners are concerned about their dogs’ favorite treats. Since we are also the company who has, we believe, been the market leader in pet treat safety particularly in China, this is painfully ironic.

“We stand by the fact that Waggin’ Train Chicken Jerky Treats are completely safe for the millions of dogs in the United States that eat them daily.”

The company has a news and information blog at www.waggintrainblog.com at which it will continue to inform the public.

ADI Pet, Inc.
(864)622-0101

105 Responses to “Waggin’ Train/ADI Assures Customers Chicken Jerky Treats For Dogs Are Safe”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 » Show All

1. Alexandra says:

I gave my dog this product over the weekend (only two pieces, one each day) and he broke out in a horrible rash all over his hind legs and now I have to take him to the Vet. I do not recommend giving this treat to your dog AT ALL!!!

2. Karen says:

I gave these treats to my dogs..I sure wish I had researched them first. One of my dogs broke out with a terrible skin rash on her back and legs, and ALL of them had terrible diarrhea. No more treats, and the diarrhea stopped.

Wal Mart refused to refund my money. I usually only give my dogs Three Dog Bakery cookies, I will continue to do that. NO MORE chinese chicken!

3. Bridget says:

My dog loves loves loves these and has never had any problem with them. She has been eating them for at least three years. They are safe and healthy.

4. Doug says:

My dog loves these treats and so do my cats(if i break them small enough)and none of my pets ever got sick from them.

5. Tom says:

My dogs have 2-3 of these, depending on the size of the pieces, every morning and have done so for a couple years now. No problems whatsoever. They’re disappointed if they DON’T get them.

6. Kara Menze says:

These treats should not be sold in the USA.My dog just died from kidney failure and I blame these dog treats. They should be called dog posion.Its sickens me that our country buys anything from China haven’t they killed enough people and pets. I don’t know how you people sleep at night knowing that these products our on the shelves of local stores every where.

7. Peggy T. S. says:

I have given these treats to all five of my dogs (one of which is 12 years old) for over 3 years. All my dogs are active and healthy.
    They love the Jerky Tenders and look forward to getting them every morning.

The ingredients are clearly marked on the package
    “Chicken breast fillet,seasonings.”

That being said, I have to question the negative comments about this product causing any health issues.

8. Susan says:

I have been feeding my 3 dogs the chicken jerky treats for years and all my dogs are doing great. I was worried when I spied the made in china on the label. My dogs have not shown any signs of the sicknesses discribed by some of the other people that have written in. These jerky treats have a lot less JUNK in them as the ones I have had to buy to repace the REAL chicken treats!

9. Terri says:

I have not had any issues with giving the chicken jerky treats over the last 3 years until now. I have had three instances of vomiting immediately after feeding the chicken strips, with the same dog that has been receiving them for over three years as her treats. She has been to the vet with extensive blood, fecal and urine analysis, with no confirming source for her vomiting other than the treats. Ironically, one week after the vomiting began, she started showing symptoms of a bleeding disorder (twice), and again, after extensive blood, ultrasound and radiographs, we have no other suspect cause. Looking at the label, it says chicken breast filet, and “natural seasonings”. What is Waggin’ Train’s idea of natural seasonings, and I highly doubt they only use chicken breast filet as the meat ingredient. Again, why do we have to have our products made in China?

Terri

10. Gift Ideas says:

Excellent post and article as while the Micropaedia is the smaller one with shorter articles that are usually less than 250 words, just digged it and stumble it up so your blog post will get more popularity on the search engines.

Great Info ,

Andy Colleman

11. Kara Menze says:

I warn people do not feed these posioness dog treats they will kill your pets.

12. Fern Henley says:

Is it true that FDA said that these delicious treats with lot #’s beginning with 94 are poisonous but other lots are ok?

13. Joseph J. Cacciotti says:

Hello, I just wanted to let you know that I’ve been feeding my dog the chicken jerky tenders for the past couple of months. My only problem is he likes them to much, he gets maybe 2-3 per day depending how big they are. Now I’ve found you have an item called Freshies which are Chicken and Liver chewable bones. I found them at Sams club, but when I went back for more they were gone. Could you please tell me where I can find these amazing products, or can I order them from you on-line. They are like Jays potato chips he just can’t stop eating them.

Joe Cacciotti
    Racine, WI.

14. Fluffy says:

This article does not specify which Jerky treats are mentioned and does not exclude WT.

It’s nice to see that the FDA is empowered to “caution” us for 2 years and take no action in light of all the complaints. Of course they will not name names.

Made in China = Poison

I would guess their main ingredient in their secret flavorings is Melamine since it has been the habitual offender in all the recent poisonings and increases the protien levels for $$$.

From the FDA

Caution to Dog Owners About Chicken Jerky Products

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) continues to caution consumers about a potential association between the development of illness in dogs and the consumption of chicken jerky products. The products—also called chicken tenders, strips, or treats—are imported from China. FDA continues to receive complaints of sick dogs that their owners or veterinarians associate with eating chicken jerky products. FDA issued a cautionary warning to consumers in September 2007.

Australian news organizations report that the University of Sydney is also investigating an association between illness in dogs and the consumption of chicken jerky in Australia. At least one firm in Australia has recalled their chicken jerky product and the recall notification stated the product was manufactured in China.

What is FDA Doing?
    FDA, in addition to several veterinary diagnostic laboratories in the United States, is working to find out why these products are associated with illness in dogs. To date, scientists have not been able to determine a precise cause for the reported illnesses.
    FDA has conducted extensive chemical and microbial testing but has not identified any contaminant.
    FDA continues to actively investigate the problem. Many of the illnesses reported may be the result of causes other than eating chicken jerky.
    Tips for Consumers
    Do not substitute chicken jerky products for a balanced diet. The products are intended to be used occasionally and in small quantities. Owners of small dogs must be especially careful to limit the amount of these products.
    If you choose to feed your dog chicken jerky products, watch the dog closely. Stop feeding the product if your dog shows any of the following signs, which may occur within hours to days after feeding the product:
    - decreased appetite, although some dogs may continue to eat the treats instead of other foods
    - decreased activity
    - vomiting
    - diarrhea, sometimes with blood
    - increased water drinking or increased urination
    Call your veterinarian if signs are severe or last for more than 24 hours. Blood tests may indicate kidney failure (increased urea nitrogen and creatinine). Urine tests may indicate Fanconi syndrome (increased glucose). Although most dogs appear to recover, some reports to FDA have involved dogs that have died.
    Consumers and veterinarians should report cases of animal illness associated with pet foods or treats to the FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator listed for their area at www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html.
    This article appears on FDA’s Consumer Health Information Web page (www.fda.gov/consumer), which features the latest updates on FDA-regulated products. Sign up for free e-mail subscriptions at www.fda.gov/consumer/consumerenews.html.

For More Information
    Preliminary Animal Health Notification
    www.fda.gov/cvm/CVM_Updates/Co.....cJerky.htm

Date Posted: December 24, 2008

15. Hal Herrin says:

Waggin’ Train Jerky Treats from ADI PET,INC.- Reno, NV, made in China

Have been giving my English Springer Spaniel Waggin’ Train for 3-4 years, one per day until recently, she started getting 2-3 per day due to increased activity. She stopped eating her dog food, urinating every 5 mins, drinking every 2-3 mins, I mean a cup at a time. Vet tested her and she had high liver enzymes and thyroid condition. Did liver biopsy(surgically) and found very fatty liver and discoloration of same. It almost tore apart in his hand. She was radiating heat like crazy through her spine area, yet her temp was normal. Would not lie on her bed anymore, just on the cool tile or out on the breezeway cement. This was a comfort dog who just loved the couch or beds, any bed at all. After being out over $1,500 within the past 5 weeks, I will never again give my animals anything from China. This product used to say ‘Rancho, CA’. I suppose that the taxes were too high so they moved and now the packaging states, ADI-Pet, INC. Reno-NV. I suppose and know that the taxes are cheaper in NV, so…I guess they went one step farther and began to outsource/import and now they have a bunch of ’shit’ for a product, as it now shows it is made in China. When were first began buying these about 5 years ago, there was nothing which showed they were made in China. I urge everyone to never buy this product at any time. Sam’s Club supplied ours, but I’m sure they are sold at a lot of places. I do not care what they say, I know it is the chicken treats that caused her ‘near death’. She is on the road to recovery, thanks in large part to money well spent, a good vet, feeding by hand, force feeding with a syringe, patience, pills by the dozens, sitting up at night with her and cuddling and soothing her fears. China can go to HELL and so can ADI-PET, INC. Nothing they can say will convince me otherwise and I will go into Sam’s Club and write all over their display cases…’THESE ARE FROM CHINA, AND THEY WILL KILL YOUR DOG’!!!!!

Hal Herrin

16. Darla Place says:

My husband bought these for my dogs and they loved them. Too bad they all got sick from them. I just called my husband and told him to stop feeding immediately. I will try to get my money back from Walmart. Do not buy products made in China!!!

17. Victoria says:

I have been giving my dogs these treats for about 3 or 4 years now they absoultely love them. I only give them one in the morning and a half of one at night. I have 4 dogs 1 bull mastiff 3 chichuaua. They sit and wait for me to give them their treats. I have a problem I cannot find it anymore. Where can I get some. Today is the last of my stash. Help Victoria

18. Victoria says:

Where can I get bags of chicken jerky tenders. I cannot find it any more.

19. Heather says:

I can not find them either!!!! My dog loves these! She has had them since she is a puppy and is 1. I’ve never had any problems with them. If anyone knows where you can buy or order them please let me know!!! thanks!

20. Sandi Quinif says:

I was giving my dogs these Waggin Train Treats and wish I had never made the purchase. I gave them to my 8 month old mini schnauzer, a piece of it got caught in his throat and I pulled it out. When I did, I found blood in my puppies mouth. Not realizing the damage that was done for several days! He stopped eating, drinking and being himself, the Waggin Train Chicken Tenders lacerate his throat and tonsils. He was slowly bleeding to death and is now anemic, and a has a very serious infection.
    THESE TREATS ARE DANGEROUS TO YOUR PETS. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THEM TO YOUR DOGS.

21. Jon says:

I bought these chicken strips at Costco recently and was happy that my dog enjoyed them so much. For a about 2 weeks with 1 or two treats per day, he was fine. Then one day, for reasons unknown, he had very bad diarrhea and vomiting. We just assumed he had gotten into something he shouldn’t have on a walk or our vet thought it could be giardea. Tests showed it was not parasitic. we put him on a restricted diet for several days which meant no treats or other foods except for a bland diet to settle his system. I had no reason to believe the strips had anything to do with his illness, but I slowly began giving him some of his regular treats again once he was back to normal (one type per day to isolate if any of the treats were the cause of his sickness). When I got to the day I gave him a chicken strip, he had diarrhea and was vomiting again that night. I stopped giving him the treats all together and he has been fine since then. I had only assumed he had a bad reaction to these treats and did not think anything of it. I was surprised to learn after doing a little research online that there are several people experiencing the same thing with this brand of treats. Seems like more than a mere coincidence to me. And as an Asian who works closely with Chinese factories (granted not food companies) I can attest that the level of control an American company has over Chinese factories is dubious at best. They are run as Chinese facilities, by Chinese and under Chinese guidelines, regardless of what the US partner company might publicly say. It is thoroughly unreasonable to expect a consistent level of sanitation that we are accustomed to in the US for human grade foods let alone pet foods from China. There is simply not the same level of concern for quality ESPECIALLY as it related to foods intended for animals, that we have here. If a batch of strips passes through the irradiation process at sub optimal conditions, there is NO WAY they will lose money and discard food meant for animals and are more than willing to accept the reality that some of the product may pass through below the standard that their customer may expect. Knowing what I know of Chinese factories, had I noticed that this product was made in China, I would not have bought it. Are all portions of this brand dangerous? Probably not. Is the chance that a significant amount of this product does not meet the standards required for this type of product? Almost undeniably. Buyer beware. Where there is smoke there is fire…

22. Pita's Mom says:

My nine year old Pom Pom has been eating these for a few years. I have never had a problem until the price more than doubled at Walmart so I switched to a “brand” sold at a pet supermarket that is also “made in China.” I didnt put two and two together but he had all the symptoms listed on the FDA warning. I agree with the masses in that anything “made in China” can’t be good due to the lack of regulations. Why is an “American” company doing it’s business overseas. Just on that fact alone…boycott this brand.

And to add….. I came across this web site while looking for recipes online to make my own “chicken jerky.” I just purchased chicken breasts for $.98 per pound………bet I can make a healthy version of jerky with no “special seasonings” for less money.

23. sharon says:

My friends dog went into almost complete kidney failure recently he too was with the rash that most complain about he was eating 98% all Natural Waggon Train Chicken Jerky treats. its not the chicken itself but the way its processed says the vet with radiation which in time can kill your pet. I urge the manufacturers to do something about the was the treat is processed so more dogs dont have to die. its not just this brand there are others like Vitality chicken and so on.

Please when is the maddness going to end how many pets have to die from treats there owners didnt know exposed them to radiationZ?

24. Cristy Xtremedolls says:

My dog almost died last week from these treats. PLEASE stop the maddness is right. It cost over $6,000 worth of vet bills to conclude it was these stupid treats. Thank god my dog will recover but there are others that may not be so lucky. His kidneys were in complete failure.

25. blondie says:

I have been giving my two small dogs Waggin Train Jerky Tenders for a couple of years and never had a problem until now…I just got home from the vet and they hopitalized one of my dogs. I have been up with him all thru the night because he just started having bloody diahrea as well as throwing up blood….bad!
    I don’t give them a treat everyday but when I do I usually break it in half…I had just fed them treats for the last two days…I know this has to be from the treats…I have got a hold of a bad bag..I will not give these treats EVER again…
    I just pray my little baby will be ok….I bought several bags of these at WalGreens back in December and just opened this bag a few days ago!

26. Haley says:

First of all I would never buy anything that was made in China ESPECIALLY a food product for my pet. Some of you people (Peggy) are so naive. Just because the ingredients says “Chicken breast fillet,seasonings”, does not mean that that is all the ingredients. If you know anything about commercial dog food then you would know that they obviously do not put “euthanized cats and dogs, roadkill, feces, etc.” on the label. But that is the truth. If you feed your dog commercial dog food, you are feeding them dead dogs that have died of a variety of diseases or have been killed. If you don’t believe me, just search for “The truth about commercial dog food.” But even not knowing that, you should know NEVER TO BUY PET FOOD PRODUCTS MADE IN A CHINA. Look how they treat dogs in China. It’s sickening and heart-breaking. What makes you think that they would care about making healthy treats for dogs. They are dirty and have no compassion for animals, just greed for themselves.

27. Tara Smith says:

Even though I had read there were issues with this product, I continued to give these treats to my dog (bought from Costcos) over the past few years because he loved them so much. What a mistake. I am writing this from a vet hospital now where my dog is in serious condition from kidney related illness. He has matched exactly all the symptoms that are listed on the FDA’s site (http://www.fda.gov/cvm/ComplaintsChicJerky.htm) warning about this specific product. They have him on IVs with tons of drugs at this hosptial and I am a mess. As I have no children, my 5 year old young dog is like my child and I have never been so upset. Please take example from me. My dog has never have a health problem before. He was young, healthy and happy. If your dog seems fine and is eating these treats, you are lucky now, but chances are your dog will get sick with kidney illnesses eventually. Don’t wait until you are in my situation spending thousands on care hoping if your dog will survive. I can barely forgive myself for ignoring these warnings and am upset that this product with all of the complaints STILL has not been recalled. Also if your dog is sick, please do complain to the FDA (http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html) as these complaints will get this product off the shelf.

28. Ginny Cobb says:

My dog will only eat Jerky tenders, and he loves it. I will buy as long as they make jerky tenders.
    Ginny

29. andrea palacio says:

i’m so saddened by all these nightmares you are having with your dogs and i want to thank you all for writing in. my doxies have loved
    chicken jerky for years. when the info about the jerky treats made in china came out i think in 2007, i called and actually spoke to someone at wagon train and they assured my that their products were never made in china. just in the past month though, we refilled our stock of the wagon train jerky treats at sam’s and just one treat gave them horrible diarrhea. i thought maybe the treat was just too rich for them, so i waited a few days and gave them each about a 1″x1″ square piece. they STILL got diarrhea. i’m finally researching to see if anyone else was starting to have problems with the wagon train jerky treats, and i see all this. and sure enough… the bag now says it’s made in china! what is wagon train thinking? they didn’t make the product in china when the warning about china’s products came out, but now they do?? they deserve a huge backlash from dog lovers at the very least. i do plan to write to the fda as well.

30. Paula says:

Pongo was poisoned by Waggin Train Jerky Bites! She has both liver and kidney damage. She just spent 6 days in ICU at Ohio State Vet Hospital. Recovery is ongoing and I have no idea yet if she will survive.

DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG ANYTHING MADE IN CHINA OR BY WAGGIN TRAIN. If WAGGIN TRAIN can’t determine the toxin causing this poisoning, then they need to stop importing this POISON from China and they need to stop passing it off as a safe product!

I want to know where and how I sign up for the Class Action Lawsuit against this company! How many more pets need to die? paula

31. Lisa says:

It so wonderful to have the internet how else would we be aware of china posioning are best friends an children to. WHY ISN”T THIS INFORMATION ON CNN NEWS !!!! Instead of all the other shit they report. My best friend Zeus has been eating this chicken jerky treats he has size in his favor because he is a rottweiler - so for a year I’m thinking I’m giving him a healthy treat.I had noticed changes in his stool an couldn’t figure it out til recently. TO THINK I HAVE BEEN POSIONING MY DOG. My heart goes out to all those who have lost there loved one. You would see me on CNN news if my dog passed. I would kill for my dog. What is this world coming to. I am sooooo pissed. $It all is about the almighty dollar $. What about a classaction law suit or nuclear bomb pointing to china. Where’s Erin Brocovitch for christ sake.This goes undetected because our pets can’t tell us how sick they feel. You have to have a keen eye for subtle to severe signs.I worked in the vet. field an consider myself very aware of changes in my pets. I couldn’t figure it out til I got on the internet. Amazon.com I was about to order 3 large bags of waggon train chicken strips an just so happened to read the reviews an to think this has been going on since 2007. Our pets generate billions of dollars !!!! WTF

32. TERRY says:

i have been giving these treats to my Pom for years. She loves them. I never worried about the cost doubling.She has never had any of these symtoms. But I love her to much to take a chance anymore. I will find something else to treat her,

33. Gail says:

I have been giving these treats to my Rat/Fox Terrier for a year now. He loves them and has never had any problems…yet. I am going to check into making them myself. I’ve read too many negative post and I just can’t chance it.

34. Lisa says:

I say we picket in front of any store selling this crap. With signs an the media needs to be involved. Thats how the masses will know. I have been putting 2 & 2 together an it makes sense. Like a couple of weeks ago my dog Zeus who is a rotti had a accident in the basement. He was so sad an upset because he pottied in the house. It was not a pretty sight. Blood mixed with mucus. Very unusual. So now I know. China SUCKS. an we have made this country china USA. And it’s a damn shame

35. Justine says:

After reading these comments I am petrified! My 7 week old chihuahua/cairn terrier puppy is in the animal hospital now and has been for 4 days… they arent finding anything wrong with her so I began researching myself… And because Ive only had her 3 days before this incident I had an idea it had to be either the food or treats she was given because I keep her in a playpen and when shes out I am always right there with her. I am calling my vet to tell him about my findings… She did fine for about the first 3 days on the treats but on the 4th night I spent all night up with her because she wouldnt stop vomiting, so i brought her to the vet at 8am… she has no appetite… her diarrhea is a mucus… and the only thing that stopped her from vomiting was the anti nausea meds being administered… once they took her off of them the vomiting started back up and she still has very little to no appetite at all! Hopefully I didnt wait to long to look all this up and if this is the problem causing her illness I hope its not too late…has anyone experienced hair loss along with these symptoms? The only test he hasnt done is bloodwork (they are a little backwards but the quickest vet i could get her in) and they are doing the xrays today, if anyone who has experienced this would share there story with me Itd be appreciated, Im running out of options as to whats wrong with her… my email is lildevil_1003@yahoo.com… Thank You So Much (BTW I am throwing these treats out and never ever ever getting sumthing made in China again! )

36. Cindy Eckstein says:

Our two cockapoos love the waggin trail chicken wraps and jerky. They have never had a problem up until the past week when they both have diarrhea and vomiting. I looked on the package and both say Made in China. I will try to take them back (one to Sams Club and one to Walmart). If nothing else, we will just throw them away. Our two dogs mean way too much to us to have them sick. Why can’t something be done about this? What can we do?

37. Carl West says:

I have a 6 month old german shepherd that had a recent visit to the vet, all was well the next week i buy these waggin train checken jerky things from Sam’s and in a few days she starts vomiting one or twice a day, i had no idea why! after taking her off those treats and having to stabilize her insides with chicken and rice and a very bland diet for several days the diarrhea and vomiting is gone and she is feeling much better! I truly believe the treats were the cause! another visit to the vet on monday should tell the tale! This really infuriates me!

38. Cynthia says:

These treats killed my dog. She has had only ONE treat per day for over 4 years, for a 50lb dog that is far below the recommended number of treats. The vet can find no other reasonable cause for her renal failure, she was only 5 1/2 and tested negative on everything else that it might have been, any kind of toxicity, bacteria, leptospirosis, all neg. She was always fed high quality food and woke up each morning just waiting for that damned chick strip. The vet says whatever is in them is in such minute quantity that it tests as “safe” but over time will cause the renal system to fail. We battled this for two weeks, IV fluids, meds, my feeding her by syringe, everything. I woke up this morning to my very large, strong fiance crying, he had found her under my desk, she looked like she was sleeping. She was the best dog ever, loyal, my protector, and now she’s buried. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop feeding these to your friends. I failed her. I never noted the Made In China, or if I did over the years I checked the website and believed them. I should have known better. If anyone is doing anything to get these things off the shelves please contact me at cynthia@wireyourworld.com

39. Madelyn says:

I have been giving the chicken jerky snacks to my two dogs for about a year. My Minn Pinn is about 17 lbs. and my mix is about 65 lbs. About two months ago my Minn Pinn got diarrhea and since he was the only one ill , I never related it to the chicken snacks. Last week he got sick again with horrible diarrhea, drinking a lot of water, urinating more. The diarrhea was so bad it was only a clear mucus. I took him to my Vet and $500. later said it was something he ate. Than my larger mix started with the same symtoms, thats when I new it was the snacks. I had purchased a Waggin Train Brand called Meat Blast from Sams Club along with the regular chicken jerky. I only gave 1 snack a day. My mix breed is doing fine after $200. of meds. , but my Minn Pinn is still having complications and I don’t know if he will recover. I called Waggin Train Brand and the lady said she would have customer service call me back , five days later and I’m still waiting. They sounds guilty to me. If anyone knows of a class action suit to put them out of business please contact me @ madelyn22@att.net

40. ADELE FLORENDO says:

Why didn’t I read this site sooner? If I had, my pomeranian Sofia would probably still be alive. I had been feeding these to my 2 other dogs and have had no problems noticed (now that I look back, their diarrhea and vomiting may be caused by it). We gave this to Sofia, too, when we had her shipped here in March 2008. As she was always hungry, though, she always had more than the other dogs, maybe 2-3 treats per day. Last week, she suddenly looked so lethargic, did not come when called, could not walk and just wanted to hide. Had no appetite, which was unusual, so we took her to the ER on Sat afternoon. After a few tests, they found her to have renal failure. We were shocked as we did not have a clue. We were willing to do a kidney transplant or dialysis (which would have cost about $20-30k) but my vet said she was too far ahead that it would be hard to treat. So we made the difficult decision to take her home and be put to sleep. The most devastating decision we have ever had to make. She was such a good little dog and died too soon. Why aren’t these treats recalled yet???? How many dogs need to die??? We need a class action lawsuit - this won’t bring my sweet Sofia back but maybe they can at least reimburse the $5200 in bills we racked up to treat her.

41. Julie says:

I recently had my mother visiting with her shih tzu. We have two dogs a shih tzu mix and a yorkie. Many of the treats that we give them and THEY LOVE are the Wagon Train brand. While she was here my Shih Tzu became quite ill and began to vomit for 12 hours. She spent the night at the vet. Labs didn’t produce any toxicity and her symptoms were not acting like enteritis as previously thought. She was allowed to come home. By this time the Yorkie was vomitting and quite sick and my mother’s dog was also sick. At this point, our Shih Tzu got worse and continued to vomit and was taken back to the vet. Basically we were told that he didn’t know what was going on and she was not doing well (she would likely die). Within 2 days at the vet she luckily returned home somewhat better. Fortunately, we had all the dogs on a boiled chicken diet and they all improved. I have $1400 worth of vet bills. Then I began to think about when the illnesses started and thought of looking up the treats and here I am. I want to look up who we make complaints to as this is totally wrong and unacceptable. My dogs will live on freshly cooked chicken and turkey. I feel blessed that we didn’t lose one. I am sorry for those that have.

42. Jodi says:

Two years ago I bought these for my diabetic dog since so many other dog treats have corn syrup or sugars. No problem at first but by about her 3rd bag, she became so sick with liver problems she had to be hospitalized for 4 days. I threw out the jerky treats and now she gets NOTHING that has a “Made in China” label and is doing well. Recently, a co-worker that has a small dog said her dog was acting as though he didn’t feel well. He has been eating, as she described it “a dried chicken thing” that her son had bought for the dog. I told her to look at the label and if was made in China to get rid of them immediately. I’m not sure if they were the WT brand or not, but sure enough, they were made in China and since getting rid of them, her dog’s okay.
    Today I picked up a bag of WT treats to look at the label & at first I thought the products were being made in the US - lot of stuff about the company being US owned and operated but there, in small print, off to the side was the “Made in China” mark - VERY misleading. Before, the “Made in China” was in much much larger print and easy to see.

43. John says:

My chihuahua Ozzy is hooked on the chicken jerky and also the wrapped Yams. he always looks forward to his treats but will only get them after he eats his dinner. He has been eating them for over 2 years and loves them like your ad says. the only side effect he has had is Diarrhea if he eats too much at one time. We are happy with your products and wish you could make newer ones like chicken wrapped banana chips.

44. Nancy says:

I almost lost my 2 boxers last week and it looks like the brand of chew bar I had was the problem. Waggin’ Train brand from COSTCO.

I’ll share the story and you can draw your own conclusions.

Yana is a 3 year old spayed boxer, Buddy a 7 year old neutered boxer.

Both dogs were previously very healthy. They were given a chew bar each Friday night. Saturday morning Yana was off her food and a bit hunched. Onset of fresh blood in stools and illness was very sudden. Yana deteriorated within hours and almost died - was on a drip at the vet clinic barely conscious Saturday evening and through the night. Buddy became off colour a little later and the blood appeared in his stools on the Sunday.

The lab tests ruled out salmonella and other bugs so vet concluded poisoning.

I feed natural food and has searched the property - no hint of a source of poison from those quarters.

Then I googled the name of the chew bars she had fed both dogs the night before: Waggin’ Train brand from COSTCO (made in China).

I found several discussion boards where people described the same symptoms as my two boxers had. This seems more than a coincidence.

Apparently this brand is the biggest seller of dog treats in the States and they’re still being sold in NZ.

We need to get this product out of our country.

45. D. Scarpellino says:

Well, I had my Jack Russel hospitalized today and the vet thinks the cause is the chicken jerky tenders. I ahve been feeding according to the directions as he loves these treats. He is passing blood through his bowels and vomiting blood. He had a similiar episode several months ago and I stopped the treats and he recovered after getting IV fluids and antibiotics. I do not trust anything that is made in China as they have no regard for human beings much less animals. They will add whatever is needed to increase profit margin. I am afraid that I will not longer be buying in Waggin’ Train products that are made in China. When they come back to the U.S. I will consider it.

46. Leslie says:

I stopped feeding these once I learned that irradiation was used to make the treats and that they were manufactured in China. Costco took back my opened bag and refunded my purchase price in full. Since stopping the treats, my dog has not had any issues of stomach upset. He is a large dog and was only getting 2 jerky strips, at most, per day…and not necessarily every day. He did really like these treat…who am I kidding, he LOVED these treats…so I was on a mission to find jerky treats made in the USA. I struck gold today when I discovered treats made by Homemade Doggy Dinners (http://www.homemadedoggydinners.com/). Check them out, the company has a sound philosophy, they tell you what they use to season the chicken, the chicken is from the US only and the treats are dehydrated (rather than irradiated) in CA. I’m sold and have already ordered a bag so that my dog can give me his opinion. Hope this helps!

47. Sandy says:

What I can’t understand is that with all our pets becoming so ill and sometimes dying why is there no way to identify what it is about this product that is poisoning our dogs. Are people reporting these incidents and has anyone had the treats lab tested and if so what were the results? Has anyone reported their experience to Waggin Train? Also has anyone had problems with the rawhide meat blasts? These are the Waggin Train cigar shaped chews that have dried liver stuffed in the middle. These are the culprits that made my dogs really, really ill. After reporting my experience to the supplier, importer and manufacturer, Waggin Train (give them their due) had the treats tested but they came back clear, however, I am 100% certain they made my dogs seriously ill. So I have to ask, “what are they NOT being tested for?” Any feedback is really welcomed.
    For all you people that feel like you can confidently say these products are safe I can assure you, you will NEVER say that again if you feed a bad batch and YOUR dog is the one to suffer excruciating pain, bloody diarrhoea and vomiting and possible permanent kidney damage, or at the worst – death, all for a treat. Like many people I had been feeding the chicken tenders and the rawhide treats for years without any problems – my dogs loved them too and would still eat them if I was fool enough to give them any. But when that day comes and YOUR dog becomes seriously ill like mine did you too might then join the growing band of pet lovers that know for CERTAIN ‘Made in China’ dog food, especially treats, is a sure way to poison your precious pets.

48. H K says:

I have three cocker spaniels that have always loved Waggin Train Jerky Tenders. However, the last bag that I bought has made them all sick with diarrhea and vomiting. One of the dogs was ill for 3 days; she appeared to be running fever, would not eat and had numerous bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. The other two were not as sick. They are all fine, however we are disappointed in Waggin Train. They have provided a quality treat for years. I will not buy them again. Aug 2009. Can’t read the lot # for sure; looks like CA 606.

49. Erin says:

My dog absolutely loves these. He’s been eating them for years. We buy them in the big bag from Sam’s club. Recently he got very very sick. Vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy. Not himself. We weren’t sure at first that it was the treats so we cut everything out and only fed him rice and ground beef. The next day he was getting much better so not thinking, we started giving him the chicken treats again to try to get him to eat more. BIG mistake. The next day he started up again. Back to vomiting and diarrhea and it was even worse this time. There is not doubt in my mind that it was these treats. Never again will I feed them or allow anyone I know to buy them without informing them about his experience. A week after this all started and he’s back to his normal energetic self. NO more chicken strips for him!

50. Paula says:

Please contact the FDA with your reports! This is very important to ensure they continue to investigate the problem. They will ask for your Vet reports and the Lot Number from the product bag.

We’ve had the Waggin’ Train Jerky Bites tested by the largest food testing lab in the US. Without knowing what to test for, the lab cannot identify the problem. Apparently, this is the same issue the FDA is having.

We’ve contacted a consumer advocacy group because Waggin’ Train has failed to respond to any of our correspondence. we were advised to contact the Governor of Georgia (home of Waggin’ Train) and to file suit in our local court (this does not require a lawyer, just contact your local court for instructions). paula

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 » Show All