Wal-Mart Removes Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips After Dog Death

Bestro Chicken JerkyA Philadelphia woman says her dog died after eating tainted dog food treats (Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips) bought from Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart has quietly pulled the made in China dog treat from its stores named Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips. There has been no announcement to the public as of yet. It is also uncertain of how many tainted bags of treats there may still be out among consumers.

A recall has not been issued. There has not been any information on FDA’s website. Wal-Mart has told consumers if they have purchased Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips, they can return them for a full refund.

Kate Collins said it is hard to talk about what happened. Bella, her two-year-old Chihuahua, died suddenly on July 31 after eating Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips. Collins said that Bella died within a week after eating the treats. Her other dogs did not receive the same treats and were unaffected.

Bella’s owner had the animal hospital do an autopsy and they found that Bella died of a massive bacterial infection. The veterinarians suspected it was caused by E. coli or Salmonella.

“The vet said that, going by her autopsy, it could have been the treats,” Collins said.

“The dog was presented to our hospital on July 27 for vomiting. She deteriorated rapidly over three days even with aggressive treatment. We suspected an intestinal virus at first, but when she continued to do poorly, we thought she had an obstruction due to a foreign body,” Jody Hoffman [Bella’s veterinarian] said.

Before the veterinarians were able to perform surgery, Bella died.

Hoffman said Bella developed hypothermia and sepsis. After the autopsy was performed, she realized that her first guess was incorrect.

She found an enlarged liver with round margins and no foreign body. Bella’s colon was a purple-back color. She said the symptoms and lesions were supportive of enteritis caused by a toxic bacteria.

Collins bought the treats at a Wal-Mart store in Boothwyn, Pennsylvania. It took her several days until a manager finally spoke to her about the situation.

She said the jerky strips were the only thing that was different in Bella’s diet. The chihuahua ate one jerky strip a day over a three-day period from July 20-22. After that, Bella began to stop eating. She had diarrhea, was vomiting, and her health began to deteriorate.

The company has not disclosed how many consumer complaints that they have received. A news station is reporting that there are similar stories from consumers across the nation.

Wal-Mart has issued a statement saying it cares about their customers and their pets, and has ordered the dog food treats removed from store shelves.

In a statement to a local newspaper, Wal-Mart said it directed all its locations to remove “all recalled Chicken Jerky Strips from Import-Pingyang Pet Product Co. and Chicken Jerky from Shanghai Bestro Trading from shelves on July 26.” The company also put a computerized block on the products, so customers could not be purchase the products.

The company also added that it would work with the supplier to “assure that the highest safety standards are met.”

Wal-Mart has also offered to reimburse Collins for up to $2,000. She said it is not about the money and that amount doesn’t even come close to covering the emotional loss. Collins does not understand why Wal-Mart is not making a public announcement. She wants other pet owners to know about the tainted dog food treats.

When we looked at online boards and forums, we found various customer complaints as early as 2006 about dogs becoming ill or dying from eating Bestro’s Chicken Jerky Strips.

Source: 6ABCLocal.com, DelcoTimes

(Thanks FurPaw)

148 Responses to “Wal-Mart Removes Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips After Dog Death”

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All

1. Jacqueline says:

To the Owner of Bella (meaning Beautiful in Italian!)

I am so sorry for your tragic loss! Do your other pups miss Bella, too?

Thank you so much for informing the public-at-large about the product sold at Walmart. Another, gentleman I read in a recent newsbrief told his lawyer that his dog ,also, died from tainted food from China that was Still Being Sold at Walmart past a recent recall!

Most Sadly,
    Jacqueline Marcia Anderson (Go Canada!)

2. Jacqueline says:

Stay away from Any and All food products for your pets, since, my 11 year old has been eating these above mentioned treats and his blood chemistry is Totally Off! (at this point from China)

So help me God, If Bailey dies from these tainted products I will make it my life’s journey to get to the Bottom of these Criminal Acts of Murdering our “kids”!!!

3. pat says:

i just went over to epinions to see what’s been going on in their forums regarding these “treats”. i stopped going back through the posts after april 07, but what i read makes it obvious to me that this has been going on for quite some time. so when walmart says they care about the quality of their products, don’t believe them. and i can’t even begin to articulate how i feel about fda’s total non-action here. i think a snarky call to them is in order… but then a snarky call to fda, just on general principals, is *always* in order, and should be part of everyone’s daily regimen, like brushing your teeth.

4. parkae says:

Hi, This is my first time writing a comment on this site. But when I read this I just had to put my two cents in. Back in March when this whole thing started, I had bought some pork twist treats made in China from Wal-Mart, Mid-March when FDA was still fumbling around with all the stupid comments and I was taking their word for it, I went ahead and fed these treats to all my dogs. After all it was still on the shelves so it must be ok.(stupid me) In April my 13 yr old died from Kidney failure. She had been to the vet for a teeth cleaning in Dec and had the blood test done at that time and it showed everything was good. The vet said that it went so fast that he said it was like she was anti-freeze poisioned. For weeks after her death I watched for the recall, on these treats and never saw one. Wal-mart STILL has this treat on their shelves. I still have the bag that the treats came in and maybe NOW this recall will open up a whole new can of worms. I no longer buy any treats that come from China. These treats are called “meat blast brand porkhide twist” made by Wiggin Train.

5. Takami826 says:

as long as we shop at places like SprawlMart, we will continue to pay for our desire for cheap goods. and China has us by the nuts because our gov’t allowed us to become insanely dependent on China’s production for just about everything. Only now that it affects the chyulldrun (lead paint in toys) is anyone paying attention. You get what you pay for. We want cheap mass produced food loaded with HFCS then wonder why we’re a nation of fatties. We want cheap mass produced pet foods because we can’t be arsed to make extra food for our pets. (umm… I don’t think animals have a perfectly balanced diet in the wild…) And we can’t be arsed to read the labels before we just blindly eat whatever we cram into our faces or shove at our pets to eat.

I feel sad yet another person had to lose a pet in this horrible way because they believe the FDA is worth a damn and can do anything -they cannot. they can only advise which is why people need to learn to depend on themselves instead of everyone else around them to take care of things.

6. Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips Removed From Wal-Mart Shelves After Dog Death | Cool Dog Hall of Fame says:

[…] For the full story, go to: http://www.itchmo.com/wal-mart.....death-2321 […]

The Bush administration has completely corrupted the FDA and every other government agency. None of us are safe. All of our food, pet food, and toys come from China and virtually none of them are tested by either the companies that sell them or the government. One of these days something like the Minneapolis bridge collapse and the pet food disaster will happen again on such a large scale that it can’t be ignored. Heaven help us all.

8. Jeannie says:

I don’t think blaming the store is the right way to get anything done.
    You need to go straight to the maker of these products, boycott them or any pet food maker that you know imports byproducts from China or anywhere else over seas. Most important go to your congress, men and woman with a big election year coming up they are the ones that could make a difference, hound them repeatedly to do something. IF every pet owner in this country stood up and started yelling somebody is going to have to listen to us. This is all so disturbing to me being the mommy of 5 Boston Terriers.
    I am so sick of commercialism destroying this country…sigh.
    I want to see a pet food label that reads all products grown in America and actually mean that!
    Speak out and make your voices heard!!!

9. Debi says:

I am truly sorry for all of youre losses, I can’t believe this shit has been on the shelves forever! I have seen people buying tons of these same chicken strips[ I think they are called chicken jerky treats, different name same poisen ], at Costco! I know they are the same because they are also made in China. How the government can let a third world country sabatoge our country with Bush’s wide-eyed acceptance, is totally beyond me. I am beyond sorry, please check the packaging before buying treats, I have learned, but not the hard way.

10. Debi says:

I am truly sorry for all of youre losses, I can’t believe this shit has been on shelves forever! I have seen people buying tons of these same chicken strips[ I think they are called chicken jerky treats.different name same poisen ], at Costco, I know they are the same because they are also made in China. How the government can let a third world country sabatage our country with Bush’s wide-eyed acceptance, is totally beyond me! I am beyond sorry, Please, Please check the packaging of everything you buy, whether it be human or pet babies. l

11. Ann Stoffregen says:

I am so sorry for everyone who has had a pet death or a sick pet from the tainted pet foods and treats. I cannot stress enough that you MUST NOT BUY CHINA MADE PRODUCTS!!! We must be more informed and we must do our own research. If I am not sure where a product is made I do not buy it. We all must realize that if it is on the market, it still may not be safe. PetSmart swears everything they have is safe.. but they are still stocking China made items! CHINA MADE ITEMS ARE NOT SAFE FOR PETS OR HUMANS, HOW MUCH MORE PROOF DO YOU NEED???? Are you willing to stake you precious pets life that they are safe? I hope not! My Vet said give apple, carrot or rice cakes for treats. We must rethink everything we’ve ever know about pet products. Beware of chinese made toys, beds, leashes, etc. etc. etc. They do not have the same standards we do and the toy recall currently going on is proof of this. Please America wake up Collectively and do not buy these imports! If the FDA won’t stop it, we can buy not buying, let these items rot on store shelves. Stop putting your family at risk! I am shopping more wisely these days, it’s up to ME to protect my family, and each and every one of us must be more responsible and protectful. Well, that’s my 2 cents worth. I am furious over all of this but if consumers continue putting faith in these products they are going to pay the price in the end and that price is just too dear!

12. Nancy says:

Please stop giving our pets store bought treats. There is no way to know if it is safe or what kind of garbage the treats have been manufactured from. After losing a cat to kidney failure, and having all remaining family pets suffer from urinary tract problems totaling almost $3,000.00, we have sworn off commercially prepared treats and store bought food. The dog eats the same food and veggies as us humans. No more milk bones, liver treats, or jerky, unless it is human jerky. I give our dog a tiny piece of cheese or low salt cracker, with a dot of Adams peanut butter. At least I know it is safe, and my dog still gets his treats without the toxins, bacteria and who knows what else. The cats get tiny pieces of cheese or roasted chicken. I make a huge pot of food for them every Sunday, bag it and freeze it for the week. I warm it in the microwave, and I do not get ANY complaints. They also love scrambled eggs. The dog gets yogurt too. You can find healthy pet food recipes on the internet or in books. I spend a little more time and money for their food but at least I know what is in it and where it came from. I love them too much to take chances that the poisons are still around. I still think China has been trying to kill us off for years by tainting their products they send to the USA. From now on, if it is MADE IN CHINA, it is NOT going home with me. I stopped shopping at Walmart years ago because of their shoddy business practices. There are other stores like Target, with similar prices, that treat their employees a tad better.

13. Kiki says:

If the Chinese don’t give a ratsass about children’s health and safety (eg. lead in bibs and toys), why on earth would anyone think that any pet stuff from China is safe. You are playing Russian Roulette with your pet’s health and safety if you are still feeding them pet products from China (which is probably 90% of all pet products)…

14. Marisa says:

I am so sorry for the losses of your beloved pets. I have been feeding my little guy Plato ( Says Organic /American?) chicken strips for awhile now. I have not been able to state without a doubt they are indeed a US product but hope so.

Again sympathy for the needless loss

15. Debi says:

As long as we are talking Chinese products, better keep a leary eye on TraderJoes stuff too. Made exclusively for T.J.’s and something to do with Montrvia[sp?], doesn’t cut it for me either, where does all there stuff come from, try to ask them and its a no win situtation, there will be no answers, so we don’t buy any of those mystery foods for us or for our dogs. Legally, the only thing that has to be marked “made in China”, is the seafood.

16. pat says:

takami826, i am heartily sick of people who blithely blame the victims of mass poisoning rather than the corporations who perpetrate this crime and the agencies that facilitate it. i am heartily sick of being chastised with the smug admonition that people are demanding cheap goods. i have not seen anyone marching in the streets for cheap goods. i haven’t seen any petitions demanding cheap goods. people buy what they can afford. the insinuation that it’s ok to poison people, or their animals, simply because they’re trying to stretch a dollar (and it doesn’t stretch very far, believe me) is absurd. it’s not ok for mega-corporations to push poisonous foodstuffs on us, and it’s not ok for fda to turn a blind eye to it. i don’t care how uninformed, or lazy, or stupid we are; we don’t deserve this. to imply that we do simply gives aid and comfort to the enemy.

17. HighNote says:

I am just a little person in this great world of ours, but I think it time that we all unite and become one. This is the only way that we are going to get anything done to change all of this. Talking on Itchmo is great and helpful and I thank them for this sight but it is not going to change things. Not till we all unite and go against the FDA and the government for their tainted products and get some changes done for us and our furry friends. Our pets need help now! They are going to continue dieing if we do not stop this madness. We need a leader to help us unite and do something!

18. Kiki says:

Nancy,

My dogs get all homemade human food as well. They eat what I eat or rather, I now eat what they eat and my diet has greatly improved as a result of working hard to feed them a healthy, safe, and balanced diet.

Here’s what I make:

Organic grass-fed beef, organic chicken, red or yellow organic peppers (which they love!), organic cheese, eggs, yogurt, organic yams or carrots, organic broccoli, meaty bones from Americangrassfedbeef, artesian water, etc., etc… I think everyone gets the picture. No more crap from corporate farming methods - I try to buy local as much as possible and contact as many sources as I can. There are no guarantees, but I am doing my best. I figure that the extra cost in higher quality foods will hopefully be offset by the savings in vet and doctor bills.

I cook and we eat together - they get what I get. If it’s not healthy or safe enough for me, it won’t be for them.

Results so far? We are absolutely fine at this time - great energy, great small stools, no chronic conditions.

Vets and the PFI have been feeding us a pack of lies and we’ve been like stupid, blind sheep - believing the bullsh**. We have not used our god-given brains to deduce that healthy, whole, real foods in general (barring the few well-known things off limits for our pets), which are good enough for our kids - are probably just fine for our pets.

Why we would continue to feed 4 D animal product with fillers and added nutrients ( because the so called “food” is dead with vitually no nutrition)?

What these people are marketing for our pets (as pet food) has no nutritional value on it’s own - it’s just pure, completely adulterated waste - and these industries (the ones that are supposed to care about our pets) have exploited our pets and have used them as their waste receptacle as a source of pure profit. I’m not even addressing the rampant and continuing epidemic of intentional contamination - which is a different and sick story altogether…

Completely check OUT of this industry, save your pets, and never go back.

19. Kiki says:

Highnote,

The single best thing you can do right now to improve things globally is to change your own behavior (in this case, shopping behavior). If each of us individually just changed our own behavior, the market would force changes. If we don’t buy the crap, they don’t sell the crap, they lose money and either need to make changes or go belly up.

Choice! One person, one decision at a time.

20. Debi says:

Kiki, Sometimes its not always not wanting to do what you guys are doing, But some pet parents have a lot of pets, and the price of feeding your’e way is probably cost prohibitive. So, all we can do is the best we can afford, and I know it will be better than the store crap that the big co.’s are trying to sell us. Even a really good dry dog food or cat food with some home-cooking is better than the mainstream crap, and in the long run will definitely benefit our furry friends.

21. Kiki says:

Debi - agreed. We all do what we can. One other viable and economic option is to purchase your own cow (I’m serious). Investigate that option.

22. Bob says:

Been reading through these notes and comments and feel really bad for those of you who’ve lost pets. I’ve been a dog “owner” since I was a toddler and these critters mean as much to me as my human kids. the thought of losing one of them due to corporate greed sends me off the chart with anger. Blaming Bush is not placing the blame where it belongs. The chineese imports started coming in LONG before that. The seemingly lack of control or caring by the FDA has not helped the situation either. The FDA works for “us” but seemingly has little power to stop this…which is a serious crock. It all boils down to corporate GREED. The almightly $$. All this JUNK made in china is exactly that——JUNK. All OF IT. Whether it’s clothes, cerial or pet food. Wally world, Mattel et all can get this stuff made for pennies on the dollar in china compared to what it would cost to make it here in the states. Is there a noticeable difference in the cost to consumers? Yeah, right……dream on. The difference is in corporate profit. Our pets die off from poison, we end up buying 3 shirts (or whatever) instead of one cause they do not hold up nearly as well as good ol US made product does, we have poison in our (human) food and the list goes on.
    The government does little or nothing to stop it and THIS DOES NOT MATTER ON THE POLITICAL PARTY. Stop and think about it. Whether Replublican or Dem. it’s all the same crap. the pressure is on from the big corps like wally world and mattel. I stopped buying from wally world long ago———-when was the last time you saw their sign saying “We buy American, so you can too.” I refuse to knowlingly buy anything made in china.
    Is there an answer. YES! Refuse to knowling buy anything made in china. Deluge wally world and mattel, home depot, et all with emails, letters and LOSS OF BUSINESS until they stop getting JUNK from china. Will it cost more initially…yes. Will it be worth it in the end run. You better believe it–cause you will not need to buy 3 inferior quality instead of one of good quality. Nuff on that.
    As soon as I heard about the initial recalls months ago and discovered I’d been feeding my dogs poison, I started making my own dog food. Like a couple of the other posters here my freinds now pretty much get what I eat….steamed veggies mixed with partially cooked meat, potatoes etc. They love it and both are looking better than ever. Nice shiny coats, energy enough to drive ya nuts and my lab/shorthair mix has bulked up like crazy without getting fat. He weighs in about 123 lbs now. HUGE. The other (a true heinz 57 at 114 lbs) has always been a picky eater and he still is, but he loves some of the mixtures I come up with. I do give them a vitamin suppliment just in case.
    I truly sympathize with those of you who’ve lost a friend. I would be devistated if one of my cirtters died cause of the food poisoning and all.
    I really feel the only way to get all this resolved is to hit these $%^&*( where it hurts the most. Their money holding, grubby wallets.
    I hope ALL of you will boycott chinese junk and the companies that sell the stuff.

23. Carol Johnson says:

Wal-Mart claims they care! Bull Hockey! If they cared…why were they buying crap from China! If they cared…why is this such a secret…how many more innocent owners and their pets will die because the owner wanted to treat the dog?

If they cared….why did they not meet with the dog’s owner right away??

Wal-mart care alright…about $$$$.

24. Don says:

Just came from the Petco tradeshow, and not a single word from the vendors about recall.

25. Bridgett says:

Is China trying to kill us off? Fake pharmaceuticals, fake toothpaste, fake pet food, toys that our kids can die from playing with. What the h***?! Why are we still import this tripe!?

26. Heather says:

I lost both of my furbabies within a week of each other at the height of the recall fiasco. Although I am of the understanding that neither was food related (one had a hemangiosarcoma mass removed in January and the other was old and very arthritic) I cannot help but think that it was just too much of a coincidence. Maybe their immune system was too compromised already.

They had been fed all their lives with what I beleived to be a premium dry (Nutros lamb and rice) supplemented with a little bit of canned (also Nutros lamb and rice and sometimes I would cook for them. The day before the recall, I bought my first can of Nutros cuts and gravy only because I hadn’t seen it before and I thought they would enjoy something different. Imagine my horror when the very next day that product turned up on the massive recall list (although the lot numbers were said to be OK) I have felt guilty every day since as I think somehow that the food I trusted may somehow have contributed to their death.

I feel for all of you who have lost your beloved furbabies like I have. It is too soon for me to think about getting another pup, when the time comes, I will for sure be homecooking only.

It is despicable that there are still problems and still pets are dying. Everytime, I hear about another recall it brings up all those feelings again.

27. Kiki says:

Good Post Bob!! I agree with you 100%

28. purringfur says:

HighNote: I agree that we need to be organized. Many people have joined with consumer action groups, community supported agriculture sites, country of origin labeling sites, etc. We are making changes, one household at a time, but can we move any faster?

With the Mattel recalls, the U.S. mothers must be furious at the harm their children are exposed to, buying lead self-test kits to rub over their children’s toys. Almost all U.S. households have children and/or pets. With our combined voices, maybe we can accomplish something. I think we need good old-fashioned marches on gov’t. buildings.

There was a gentleman on CNN (?) talking about the Mattel recall and that 80% of the toys are imported from China. He was saying that the only way to achieve change is with a VISIBLE form of protest and outcry. We can write on itchmo or any other site, but do words on a page mean as much as people standing in front of buildings holding signs and chanting?

Senator Dodd was on a few days ago calling for an immediate ban on all food and products from China. How many candidates are even mentioning this issue? Are not our children in harm’s way (mouthwash, toothpaste, jewelry, bibs, toys) enough for the gov’t to wake up?

Walmart and other stores should experience a huge slump in sales over the fourth quarter. But I’ll bet with the lead paint scares that there will be even more hype over the holidays and better “early bird specials” to lure people in. Hopefully parents will not buy the Chinese toys.

Profits are what count to companies. They will produce things as cheaply as possible. And those profits go to those high in the company and the shareholders, not the lowly worker. If it weren’t so cheap to produce items in China, we wouldn’t ship our food products to China, have the products made there, packaged there, and then shipped back here? The cost must be miniscule to do this. Now what is wrong with that picture? If the individual products are here, keep the manufacturing here. Look at our tuna industry.

We need to stop buying outright and stop trying to keep up with the Joneses and reevaluate our lifestyles. We are a country of consumers, needing bigger, better, and the latest. As someone said, the imported products we buy don’t even last long, and we end up buying 3 more of the same item. We have to stop our need to consume so we lessen the demand on production.

RE: Chicken Jerky: Wasn’t there a post several weeks ago about a Chinese company on a trade board saying they got chicken from vet offices, restaurants, etc. but that it was cooked so there was no fear of Avian Flu because Avian Flue virus is destroyed at such and such degrees? Does anyone remember?

Also recall that China’s number one agriculture goal, stated earlier this summer, was to break into the cooked chicken market. Starting with chicken products for pets was a logical way to get the foot in the door.

It’s time we visit our downtown mom and pop stores and support them, instead of going to the big box stores. How many of your downtown stores or small strip malls have been devastated when a Walmart moved in? How many of you avoid downtown small local stores because “nothing is there”? There are just empty shop windows lining both sides of the street? We also need to support our local farmers and ranchers.

I’m sick of the garbage we import, and I’m spending very little on new products.

I’m sorry for the people who have lost pets. I realize that people have budgetary and time constraints, but instead of packaged treats, try switching to giving them something from your own dinner plate. I do not trust treats as well. Anything you give them, they will consider an act of love. The treats cost a few dollars for a 12 oz. bag anyway. Just buy a pound of raw chicken breasts ($2.00 - $4.00/lb. a lot of places), cut them into treat-size chunks, and use them. You can eat the same thing for dinner yourself.

29. Roberto P. says:

That’s the big question. Why are we still importing this crap? I agree with Bob about corporate profit. Our companies don’t go to China for products, then drop the prices here. Of course, if they can’t blame us the customers for having cheap goods riots, the blame us the workers for having living wage riots so we can afford to pay the price for their goods. I have never seen a product advertised as “New, Incredibly Cheap Dog Food.” We want the best product we can get for the amount of money we have. The corporations won’t give us that (for long, anyway) because it interferes in the HUGE quarterly stock dividend. Many companies used to be satisfied with conservative growth. That used to be the standard that a company would be a lasting one. Now it seems that most act like a bunch of spoiled babies screaming, “I want it NOW!” Perhaps we have to be the parent here and take the profit away until they can grow up and show a little restraint and maturity.

30. Bridgett says:

Heather, that is the great unanswered question that all of us have been asking ourselves since the recall tragedy began. Over the years, how many of our pet’s illnesses have been caused by inferior ingredients in their supposedly good pet food? I don’t think we will ever know the answer.

31. Ann says:

Jeannie says:

August 17th, 2007 at 9:25 am
    I don’t think blaming the store is the right way to get anything done.

You’re right, Jeannie, but Sharon’s comment about blaming our President is pure stupidity. Next, people will blame him for the common cold, which is equally dumb. Leave your politics out of this, Sharon.
    For years now, I’ve been raising, showing, (and health testing before selling) AKC puppies, and one of my standard contract stipulations is that you feed neither rawhide, Greenies, or any product made in Taiwan, China, or anything similar, and always recommend homemade with fresh ingredients. Nothing is more important to us than the health of our pets, but IMO, anyone who’d buy dog or cat food from places like Wal-Mart, just to save $$$, is asking for trouble. It takes a lot of time and a few bucks to buy ingredients to cook and grind for them, but they’re worth it. As someone said, they are our kids, and I pay just as much attention to their diets as I did my children’s. Anything less…..you just shouldn’t have pets.

32. Don and Mae says:

My cat Jake dies last year and was a big pounce eater. We couldn’t figure out why he was loosing weight and the Vet was no help. He was skin and bones before he just disappeared to die. This is really making me mad and I just went to www.delmonte.com and their pounce site and not one mention of any recalls. China has been one of the biggest attackers of our goverment computer systems and now this. Wake up America!!!

33. Roberto P. says:

Ann, that’s rather elitist! Do you mean poor people shouldn’t have pets? Pet food should be safe as advertised. And calling people stupid is not what Itchmo’s is about.

34. Kiki says:

Ann,

Please don’t call Jeannie’s take on this as “stupidity” or “politics”. It is absolutely true that this administration has created an environment of Laissez faire that has been to the complete benefit of corporate greed (in all sectors) and to the complete detriment of the health and safety of the environment and those sentient beings that live in it. Nothing is in a vacuum here. There are many contributing factors, but greasing the greedy corporate wheel through government actions/inactions is usually the antecedent catalyst for shit that eventually hits the fan on some level at some point in time.

Read “The Jungle” to gain some historical perspective. What the USA is experiencing right now is the contemporary version.

35. Kiki says:

Ann, sorry, I was referring to Sharon’s post - not Jeannie’s

36. Moonbeam says:

Well, people just think because it is on the shelves - it is safe - and it should be - nothing less is acceptable - it’s not a game of R. Roulette when we buy treats for our pets - but I just stay away from “Made in China” because it’s too risky - but many people believe that now things are safe - and obviously they are sadly mistaken.

I do blame our government for allowing toxic imports - if we can’t blame them, then who can we blame? It’s the governments responsiblity to protect the citizens and it is obvious that big corporations are failing us and now sadly so is our government - and sorry to offend - but we do look to the top guy - and that is our president - to stop this tainted and poisoned products from entering the U.S. and if it means halting all imports from questionable countries then let’s do it! Bush could put a stop to it by declaring a state of emergency - but he isn’t and hasn’t been and I’m saddened and disheartened over this entire fiasco.

37. Trudy Jackson says:

Moonbeam, I was just going to say the same thing. It is the Gov, all of it , starting with Bush. It’s We The People, does He remember that? The Greatest Country in the world shouldn’t have to worry about it’s pets, it’s children, our food, etc. We should demand no less of our Gov.than to keep us safe. We do pay taxes for all that.
    I wish I had someones email address- I have been reading a lot about the Olimpics and what it’s doing to the people over there. I have the URL but it’s long. They are doing terrible things, as usual.
    And yes, I do think they are trying to kill us off. One way or the other.
    We need to stick together on this. And it just has to stop.

38. Annie says:

I know name-brand pet food was tainted, but please, people, don’t buy store-brand pet food, especially Ol Roy from Walmart. I don’t care how poor you are, don’t buy cheap crap for your pets. I was a chihuahua breeder and I was so careful to write down what to feed the puppies. But then I would get phone calls saying the puppies were sick. The first thing I asked was what were you feeding them. And Ol Roy came up a lot. So I had to diagnose each problem. Some I told to go to the vet. Others could be treated at home. All survived, but the people listened to me then and started feeding name-brand food.

I even bought a puppy from a breeder and she fed all her dogs Ol Roy. I couldn’t believe a breeder could be so cheap. Most breeders I have known buy Iams and Eukanuba or, at least, Purina.

When my husband and I were first married and he was in the Air Force, now retired, and we had no food for us because we had no money, our dog and cat ate Purina. It might not even be the greatest but my point is that you don’t go cheap on your pets no matter what. Stores should be ashamed for even selling store-brand pet food. But if people wouldn’t buy it they wouldn’t sell it. I hope these horrible pet deaths will bring attention to how to feed your pets. I will be reading the labels now on where my food is made because I had no idea any of our food was made outside of the US. Toys and clothes and things, yes, but food?

So sorry for all of you who suffered the loss of your pet and for those whose babies have gotten so sick.

39. Ann says:

Roberto -

I have no problem with being called an “elitist”. And yes, I don’t feel people who can’t adequately take optimum care of their pets (and most poor people can’t afford the vet bills) shouldn’t have them. Being an “elitist” as you so succinctly put it, is fine with me. That’s why I don’t ever sell many puppies, and insist on a veterinarian’s recommendation as to past performance with pets. If they’re first-timers, they MUST establish a working relationship with a vet before they get one of mine. I’ve written a book on puppy care, and recommend that people talk to a vet before purchasing one, to get a good idea of just how much regular annual care costs, not to mention emergencies like the lady with the little Chihuahua. Yep…..elitist suits me just fine.

40. thomas says:

Why shouldn’t Bush be blamed as well as his administraition? What has he done to insure the safety of the American people and their pets? He has done nothing . In fact he is headed for Canada on Mon. for a meeting to push for the North American Union . Guess what the Canadians do not want to lower their standards on food safety to our level or the level of Mexicos.

The blame belongs also on American companies that closed American factories and moved to China to increase profits and to avoid anything close to product safety. The price did not go down on any products manufactured in China with cheap labor . The quality went down.

Some people can not afford to make their own pet people . Should they be penalized and blamed for feeding their pets what they thought was safe, thanks to false advertising and no truth in labeling on pet foods?

The blame should be placed on current and pasted politicians , large corporations, agri businesses and some of the farm bureau groups.

I refuse to buy anything that is labeled made in China , and anything containing high frutcose corn syrup. I am cooking for my pets also.

41. David says:

So very sorry to hear of yet another pet loss due to the tainted junk coming from a place we shouldn’t even be trading with…it’s all about money and we are paying a high price for our kids and pets. Everything from toothpaste and kids toys to pet food is coming from this place and I wish Teddy Roosevelt were in office!! I can imagine what he’d say about all this.Next year I’m voting for him and John Wayne as they’ll secure our borders, start taking out that silly “For English, Press 1″ crap that you see on ATM’s and start giving jobs to Americans to make our own things here once again. We are all to blame for this since we want cheap goods and not willing to spend more for quality. We are now paying a heavy toll.

42. CGP says:

Ann - I must strongly disagree with your statement. The Bush administration has been cutting funding for the FDA for years - who do you think is SUPPOSED to protect the consumer against imports that are tainted? They subscribe to a self regulated corporate world - how is this self regulation working for the pet owners who pets are dead or ill? I don’t care whether this administration is Democrat or Republican, but they are incompetent and care very little for the average American except at voting time.

I do hold Wal Mart and other companies like them responsible. Wal Mart is the poster child for Chinese imports. They set up their purchasing office in China years ago. They are also instrumental in lobbying against more corporate regulation for imports. I rarely go to one of their stores. Their hype about savings is just that - hype. You can save a few pennies here and there, but why they are so popular is beyond my comprehension.

43. E. Hamilton says:

Do you want to know what is killing the pets? Do you want the government , the one YOU pay for already and that has rules that YOU certainly must live by to go and do the job?

Well, it CAN be done, now, no matter who is in power if everyone gets behind the Don Earl action and tells every single pet affiliated organization about this extremely important action.

If enough people support Don Earl maybe we can get that court order for the FDA but all the experts and all the pet parents are gonna have to band together to do it.

Heck, if everyone who lost a pet, or had a pet fall ill wrote a letter in support that might help.
    It would take all of us.
    And we would have to go online AND off to round up all the people we can get to do the same.

44. Elaine says:

Bob says:

August 17th, 2007 at 11:08 am Bob, I am in absolute agreement with your analysis of the problem.

Blame is often placed on the current administration for the problem, but this outsourcing has gone on for many years, and the only thing I can be pretty positive of is that the China outsourcing started AFTER Richard Nixon opened up diplomatic relations with China. Please don’t think this is a defense of the current administration, as it is business as usual, pandering to the big money global business interests.

Check out this website for info on where to buy products from U.S. companies, however, be forewarned that some of these companies may also have factories elsewhere, but I think some of them indicate that all their products are made in the U.S. with U.S. materials.

45. Elaine says:

Another thought that just came to me this morning is: Can there possibly be a connection to the lead in toys from China and autism? When I was a kid, which was quite awhile ago when our country didn’t import anything unless it wasn’t produced here, we didn’t HAVE autistic kids! The only mental problems were retardation and very few with mental illness.

In my children’s generation there began to be hyperactive kids, and much later the autism diagnosis. I know there was some talk of a possible connection between mercury used as a preservative in MMR vaccines, and that maybe is when autism seemed to be rising dramatically. But now they don’t use mercury in vaccines, and I think I heard that 1 in every 180 kids is autistic!

It certainly is possible that the lead contaminated imports began at the same time mercury in MMR vaccines began.

I will agree that ANY administration could put a halt to this, and they are supposed to be using our tax dollars for our benefit and protection. But I guess we all know the protection of our families is up to us, and it gets more difficult by the day.

46. mittens says:

uh it’s the CONGRESS that funds the FDA-not the executive branch ie Bush. it is your elected congress-now with a slight democratic majority( previously it had a slight republican majority) that funds the FDA. if bush wants a certain budget for whomever it’s only the congress that can ok it.

blaming people who have nothing really to do with what youre RANTING about is unhelpful. unless you come to the realization that it is your hand picked congressmen who fund and ok the regulations regarding the FDA you are just wallowing in a pig trough of misguided political nonsensical ramblings.this makes sure the problem is never addressed.

it’s actually the beloved president bubba clinton who really kicked open the doors wider to us trade( if you could call it trade- it’s all one sided) with china and places like mexico that also produce tainted substandard crap( candy with lead in it never mind toys) and also sold them sensitive military and nuclear information putting us in even more jeopardy. his re-election campaign also took money from representatives of the chinese government- something that is completely illegal(( outside /other country governments are prohibited rightly from funding american political campaigns). there’s plenty of blame here all around but identifying who controls the fda’s purse strings is crucial-it’s your democratically led congress. they are also not listening to you but get off scott free because you focus your rage at the most obvious target. dont think for a second they don’t know it works that way and sheilds them from blame and from acting-youve made bush their fall guy.

walmart definitely needs to be blamed-why shouldnt we blame the store that imports these products knowing full well there are deep and lasting issues with the quality of food products from china? they insist on bellow market pricing and because they are the largest retailer in the entire world they can do it.manufacturers cut corners, compelled just to survive the razor sharp profit margins and thus we have 1000s of dead pets. certainly the manufacturers are to blame but so is the large american ccompany squeezing them until their eyes pop. walmart is setting the pace here-they deserve some blame in this. theyre the ones afterall deigning to place this poison on shelves- the cans and bags didnt walk in there themselves.

their stock is falling, by the way. and profits are off…

even when in my most dire straits i found a way to get my cats at least purina or 9 lives. i may buy myself the store brand mayonaise but my cats were never gonna get ‘ joe schmose’s store brand tuna”. i think it’s fair to say that we should all strive to the best of our abilities not to buy any food item for our animals that is entirely manufactured in china. it really is arrogant ,class war hatred of poor people to snipe at those who cannot afford better quality food-its really uncalled for and downright mean. the issue really remains that unsafe food of any brand name does not belong on our shelves and we have to apply pressure to our local stores and chains informing them we hold them accountable if theyre caught selling poison. it’s the only way to compel effective change-we aint buying your china crap and if we did and it sickened our pet were gonna sue your store’s ass and raise hell about it. congress is going to sit on its ass and do nothing. stores wont take the crap off the shelves until you threaten them by walking away with your dollars and publically calling them out.

47. Elaine says:

Mittens: Case in point—-Yesterday I shopped at Bi-Mart. It took me much longer reading labels, but I managed to find a toothbrush made in the U.S., a thermal mug, some plastic storage baskets and a few food items. None of these made in the U.S. items cost ANY more that the made in China ones on the shelf next to them.

I found dried fruit from China, dehydrated noodle dishes, and, worst of all: I checked a babies teething ring and found it was made in China!

As I left the store I asked the clerk if they had checked the baby teething ring for lead content? And suggested they do so, if they hadn’t. I also told him that I will not knowingly buy anything from China, and I think it is very dangerous to have food from China on their shelves.

48. pat says:

ann, i don’t think there’s any provable relationship between a person’s economic status and their ability to nurture a pet. i’ve known a lot of people who would take on extra jobs to have enough money to pay vet bills for a beloved furry family member, and witnessed the filthy rich abandoning their pet at a rented vacation home because it was just too much trouble to get them in the car. it’s what you have in your heart, not in your wallet, that makes a good pet owner.

there is, howver a provable relationship between corporate greed and dead pets. there is also a provable relationship between government apathy and dead pets.

49. CGP says:

Actually the federal budget is funded by Congress based on the recommendations of the President. The Office of Management and Budget is part of the Executive Branch. I have read that the Bush administration will be recommending cutting the food safety budget even further despite all the recall problems we are having and that is of great concern. NAFTA was certainly a Clinton responsibility and a big mistake. Since food safety IS a federal (and state) issue directing complaints and concerns about and to our government is certainly valid. It seems that there are at least a few members of Congress who take this issue seriously. Trade with China has been gearing up for years but why this series of problems has recently escalated is somewhat mysterious.

I’ve also read that there are laws stating that companies are responsbile for the safety of the items they import and would love to know what and where they are. Hopefully we’ll leave the Chinese junk on the shelves from now on. I know I won’t buy any more of their garbage.

50. Moonbeam says:

This is so simple - Korea would not accept our beef because of the Mad Cow situation. We can not accept these products into our country and I don’t care who you want to blame - it is our government that is failing its citizens - and Bush is taking the fall because he is the commander and Chief and he is the one that can change things, Clinton is no longer president, and you can’t tell me Bush is absolved from all guilt in this mess. Give me a break!

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All